Tesla Owners Online Forum banner

Bike rack solution for the Model 3

19K views 33 replies 17 participants last post by  akomlik 
#1 ·
For those not wanting to order a hitch option on their Model 3 I've found a great solution for a bike rack, even for those ordering the all glass roof option!

#2 ·
@TrevP,

I'm sorry but there's NO WAY I'd use that contraption.....maybe on an old ratty car but no way on my new Model 3. All I see is that coming loose and/or the bike falling over and scratching the holy $&@ out of my Roof...paint and Pano Roof as it slides down and off the back of my car! All the time listening to the scratches and screeches as it slides back, tears streaming down my face, crying like a baby and looking at the bike and mousetrap 'thingy' cartwheel down the interstate in my rear view mirror like a tumbleweed across the Great Plains.:(

Ski

#5 ·
EM mentioned recently there will be a Model X suction cup bike rack if you are willing to close off one of the FW doors. can't recall what event that was at, but remember a wind tunnel test was done at some crazy speed (like 200miles or something in that range).
Found this tweet when googling for it from last year - and lists a lower wind speed...

#7 ·
I'm really warming up to this. I've dealt with roof and bike rails and it's no fun. Being able to quickly install and more importantly, alter the positions of the mounts is really appealing. I might still end up getting the tow hitch for a bike rack though as it's better for aerodynamics and thus range.

#8 ·
I might still end up getting the tow hitch for a bike rack though as it's better for aerodynamics and thus range.
I'm not 100% sure a bike rack on the back will help with Aero. Unless the total cross section of the bike is within the draft of the car the bike will produce drag. Most Bike racks/mounts place the bike perpendicular to the direction of travel which places the fork outside of the draft of the car and would produce considerable drag. The drag could be negligible or significant but it's something to consider.

#15 · (Edited)
I ordered mini-bomber which is on sale at Mike's bikes and it came 2 days later.
I installed and did quick test yesterday.
The bikes felt rock-solid when mounted and after sitting in garage overnight the vacuum did not drop at all (built-in indicator shows when it needs re-pumping)

Today wife and I drove 60 miles with bikes on top. This solution works great so far

Driving with bikes:

#17 ·
Googling on this suggests it should:

MINI BOMBER

The Mini Bomber is a two bike rack and SeaSucker's most versatile yet. It can hold one or two bikes at the same time. For bikes with wider handlebars (Downhill, hybrid, cruiser) you can angle the fork mounts using the additional holes drilled in the deck. It has a center accessory mount location for an add on wheel holder. This rack works great with Tandem and Recumbent bikes. Uses four 6" vacuum cups on the body of the rack. Includes two rear wheel straps and spare tire

#30 ·
Today we drove 50mi to ride at Mt. Diablo and carried two bikes inside the car

wheel removal was necessary
Great solution. My girlfriend and I put both our bikes inside the M3 this way most weekends. The trunk pass through really is enormous.

We had a custom plastic tray fabbed that we strap the bikes onto and then slide them in together. We remove the front wheels but not the back.

Seems to be easier than the hitch mounted bike rack we had on our last car but YMMV.

#20 · (Edited)
  • There is some noise from the rack itself (i.e. I can hear it even without bikes) but it's not too bad and only at highway speeds. I did not experiment with moving the rack around the roof.
  • Two bikes on the roof magnify impact of headwind greatly. For example today driving form Las Vegas to Prim we saw 400Wt/mile consumption going just 60 MPH. So finding big rigs and drafting behind is essential.
  • From Prim, NV to Yermo, CA we drove behind a truck at around 55-60MPH and consumption was 220Wt/mi.
  • This whole week since last Sunday 5/20 we're traveling with two bikes and over 1128 miles average consumption is 258Wt/mi so far. We routinely drive 5-10MPH below speed limit.
  • Here is picture to illustrate:

#21 ·
Thanks @akomlik. I drove 92mi yesterday with one TT bike on the roof and saw 120mi of range loss. That was mostly highway driving 65-75mph. Maybe I'll try drafting next time.

Anyone got an eco-hitch and want to share comparative aero / range / kwh data? I'm very curious.

also, for seasucker skeptics, I'm getting over my FOSF (fear of suction failing). the noise is not insignificant, though, especially right when you start driving.

#24 ·
To keep energy consumption in check and lessen any stresses on the roof I prefer to limit my speed when carrying bikes on top. The time saved by driving at your regular speed vs lower speed is minuscule.
Also for a single bike I'd probably just take off front (or both) wheel and put it all inside the car with back seats folded.

#22 ·
I ordered mini-bomber which is on sale at Mike's bikes and it came 2 days later.
I installed and did quick test yesterday.
The bikes felt rock-solid when mounted and after sitting in garage overnight the vacuum did not drop at all (built-in indicator shows when it needs re-pumping)

Today wife and I drove 60 miles with bikes on top. This solution works great so far

Driving with bikes:
Aren't you scared that a bump could actually crack the roof?

#29 ·
I have had the sea sucker for about a month and find it to be great!
I have sold one of my Yakima racks and working on selling the other one.
The sea sucker is a great purchase.
For many years we used regular roof (Subaru-branded Yakima) rack on our Impreza hatch which Model-3 replaced. And now I realize the value of the added bonus of the Seasucker solution:
- Unless you need to carry two bikes (one fits nicely with rear seats folded) the car stays clean and nice looking and aero with no roof/hitch solutions to bike carrying task.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.