Big change with Transport Canada with Teslas: can be imported from the US!

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

PEIEVGUY

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I always thought that Tesla was the one blocking the import of their cars into The Great White North. I didn't realize that the Federal Government also wouldn't allow Tesla to be imported.

TrevP

TOO Founder / Administrator
Founder
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
We have vehicle immobilizer requirements which the US doesn't have so it was a combination of Transport not letting them in because of that and Tesla being unwilling to do the required mods. Seems to me that Tesla now has the parts and service procedures in place and thus satisfying the requirement hence the change in policy

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
We have vehicle immobilizer requirements which the US doesn't have so it was a combination of Transport not letting them in because of that and Tesla being unwilling to do the required mods. Seems to me that Tesla now has the parts and service procedures in place and thus satisfying the requirement hence the change in policy
so they have the ability to re-create the door jamb stickers with the Canadian verbiage... otherwise, I think most of the parts, at least on the Model 3, are Canadian compliant. IIRC, one of the big issues in the past with S/X were the seatbelt latch color not being red. what other Canadian specific parts were there that need to be swapped?

TrevP

TOO Founder / Administrator
Founder
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
so they have the ability to re-create the door jamb stickers with the Canadian verbiage... otherwise, I think most of the parts, at least on the Model 3, are Canadian compliant. IIRC, one of the big issues in the past with S/X were the seatbelt latch color not being red. what other Canadian specific parts were there that need to be swapped?
The red seat belt button at one time seemed to be a thing but my Model X had black buttons so I guess it was either no longer a requirement or they just stopped bothering with it.