Best tracking app

• Our merch store is back! Check out our line of quality apparel and accessories featuring the TOO logo. Let us know if you'd like something specific you don't see 👍https://teespring.com/stores/tesla-owners-online-store
  • It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Sorry to bring back an old thread here, but I have some serious concerns with giving my credentials to any of these apps. Am I wrong here? I tried Telsafi and liked all of the data it was giving me, then the IT engineer in my head started screaming at me so I killed it and reset my credentials on the tesla site. I know that Teslafi creates a token with Tesla and then no longer uses my credentials directly. What's going to happen when Teslafi gets hacked? My BIG concern here is my credit card is associated with my Tesla account. It is there from my initial deposit and kept there for supercharger access. So when Teslafi or any of the others get hacked and they use my token to access Tesla and my account (and maybe my Model 3), what's to stop them from doing anything they want? Let's go ahead and use my card to order a new car, or purchase accessories or perhaps access my car directly and do nasty things to it.

Am I way off here? We are allowing the path from these services directly in to our accounts and our cars to retrieve data, but it can also access everything else that's there WHEN they get hacked. Right?
If you are concerned about privacy, you do NOT need to give Teslafi your Tesla account and password. You can alternately generate a token and give it that.
See https://tesla-api.timdorr.com

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm all about privacy but honestly what would you seriously be concerned about?

PS Hands down Teslafi is the best app.
As I said above...
What's going to happen when Teslafi gets hacked? My BIG concern here is my credit card is associated with my Tesla account. It is there from my initial deposit and kept there for supercharger access. So when Teslafi or any of the others get hacked and they use my token to access Tesla and my account (and maybe my Model 3), what's to stop them from doing anything they want? Let's go ahead and use my card to order a new car, or purchase accessories or perhaps access my car directly and do nasty things to it.

We are allowing the path from these services directly in to our accounts and our cars to retrieve data, but it can also access everything else that's there WHEN they get hacked. Right?

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If you are concerned about privacy, you do NOT need to give Teslafi your Tesla account and password. You can alternately generate a token and give it that.
See https://tesla-api.timdorr.com
I am an IT professional that has worked for a big bank for almost 24 years, so I am typically more concerned about these things than most other folks. I have also had my identity stolen when my health insurance company was hacked and released ALL of my personal information. At that point, someone ran my credit report, found my credit cards, gained access to my accounts, called in to the company as me giving them my SSN, burned a credit card, tested it on two small charges then racked up a $1500 dinner in Miami. My credit card company caught that so no real harm was really done to me. The Restaurant got stuck with the bill there. I quickly got all of my cards replaced, locked all of those cards with an additional password if someone were to call and locked all of my credit so they have to call my Cell to open a new line of credit to validate I am making that request. So both of those things combined makes me a little nervous making this connection in some other system.

I think I am going to go pick up a pre-paid visa and put $500 or so on it and attach that to my Tesla account to cover supercharging when I need it and so it's not a big loss if that gets hacked.

Chip Douglas

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If any account gets hacked they will not have access to your credit card. Typically any payment provider in the last 15 years works off of vaulted customer ids and token that in no way can you reverse engineer. Re-occurring payments / subscriptions will be billed and placed into the merchants account so its not like you can just make random purchases with it.

For sure do this. This should actually mandatory as the API access to communicate with your card has a very limited set of functionality.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If a malicious entity obtains your Tesla token, what can they do with it?

I would imagine that they can at least perform all of the remote options that you can normally perform using the Tesla app, right? That would be pretty bad already.

Has anybody tried to perform other Tesla account related transactions using just a token? Is it possible to make a purchase on the Tesla store? I would imagine not, but I don't know.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If a malicious entity obtains your Tesla token, what can they do with it?

I would imagine that they can at least perform all of the remote options that you can normally perform using the Tesla app, right? That would be pretty bad already.

Has anybody tried to perform other Tesla account related transactions using just a token? Is it possible to make a purchase on the Tesla store? I would imagine not, but I don't know.
And since I don't know either, I will do the token creation myself and connect some small limit credit card to my Tesla account.

Thanks for all of the replies. I really appreciate it.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
for those using Teslafi, and with some temporary amount of free supercharging, have you figured out how to get a supercharger session to change the fee?
I have my overall supercharger fee rate set (to the average rate for the stations I've been to most) but have 1000 miles credit from the referral program and have been tagging those charges as "Free SC Credit", but can't manually change the fee and have it stick.
In the edit screen have it set to $0.00 for both the kWh and Total Cost but to remains as the pre-set fee when saved.
I sent an issue ticket into Teslafi, but wanted to see what others are doing or if you are able to successfully edit your SC $ fee per session.
Screen Shot 2019-07-23 at 6.48.04 AM.png

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Once he adds the ability to import previous data from TeslaFi I might give it a shot. Have you given it a shot yet?
I did activate it today, and so far it is behaving like Stats and preventing the car from sleeping. If it doesn't sleep by tomorrow I might deactivate until they fix it.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
at least looking at the front page stuff, looks like they have copied Teslafi - even duplicating the top car names and colors charts - but with added graphics. I really don't care if the UI on Teslafi isn't heavy on graphics - thats not what I go there for. i go to get the data (that doesn't need a generic image of a Model 3 in (fill in the blank color).
There are some things I'd like Teslafi to change or capture, but adding pictures of the cars isn't one.

SalisburySam

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
As @dburkland mentioned, the hard part about changing from whatever 3rd-party app you may now use is deciding whether or not you choose to lose all the data captured to date. I began with TesliFi shortly after vehicle delivery and to change to Stats, Teslascope, Teslastics, or any other app would mean loss of the first year’s data. Apparently, migrating old data into a new app isn’t something developers of these apps have chosen to deliver. Until they do, I’m a bit locked into the TeslaFi ecosystem. That sounds bad, but I’m quite happy with TeslaFi for the $50/yr it costs vs. the information it delivers. And apparently so are about 4000 other owners of Model 3’s and another 3000 or so Model S/X owners as those numbers are growing. While this represents only a small percentage of total ownership, it is still very useful to me.

I also have no desire to use two or more such apps at the same time.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
As @dburkland mentioned, the hard part about changing from whatever 3rd-party app you may now use is deciding whether or not you choose to lose all the data captured to date. I began with TesliFi shortly after vehicle delivery and to change to Stats, Teslascope, Teslastics, or any other app would mean loss of the first year’s data. Apparently, migrating old data into a new app isn’t something developers of these apps have chosen to deliver. Until they do, I’m a bit locked into the TeslaFi ecosystem. That sounds bad, but I’m quite happy with TeslaFi for the $50/yr it costs vs. the information it delivers. And apparently so are about 4000 other owners of Model 3’s and another 3000 or so Model S/X owners as those numbers are growing. While this represents only a small percentage of total ownership, it is still very useful to me.

the time I was at a supercharger, went to put something in the trunk while my phone was re-booting, and ended up locked out with a now powered down phone locked inside easily got my money's worth out of Teslafi when I asked another owner if I could borrow their phone's browser so I could login to Teslafi to open my door :) (I'm sure you could accomplish the same task by logging into someone else's Tesla App, but that seems a little more invasive to ask them to log out and let you log into their app.)

(note - if your phone is acting up and you arrive at a supercharger and think it would be a good time to restart it, DO NOT power it down AND get out of the car and close the door with the phone on the charge pad at the same time. the doors will lock (if you have it set that way) when it cant find the phone nearby.)

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

I'm not with TeslaFi because I'm stuck with the history; it is still by far the most functional of them all. The others might be prettier or less expensive, but I dump them all after a few days. I've been logging into TeslaFi almost every day for a year!
The only other I use is Commands for iOS because I can very quickly tap commands from my watch. It's also the only one I've found that doesn't screw with TeslaFi's sleep.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hey there, I wanted to respond to some of the questions/concerns brought up! 👍

at least looking at the front page stuff, looks like they have copied Teslafi - even duplicating the top car names and colors charts - but with added graphics. I really don't care if the UI on Teslafi isn't heavy on graphics - thats not what I go there for. i go to get the data (that doesn't need a generic image of a Model 3 in (fill in the blank color).
There are some things I'd like Teslafi to change or capture, but adding pictures of the cars isn't one.
While working on the Firmware Updates page in addition to Statistics, I took a lot of input from the Tesla Motors subreddit's members and other vehicle drivers (some local, but most remote).
One of the most commonly requested/brought up topics was providing an experience similar to TeslaFi; something familiar so that transitioning would be easier.

If you'd like, I can add a toggle for a "Clean" statistics page, hiding all images. Less distraction, more focus.

It began as a passion project for myself; wanting for an easy to use platform for viewing vehicle metrics. With that same passion, I want to continue expanding the available statistics provided, offer a Developer Documentation area, and eventually grow a larger fleet by welcoming free (and premium) members.

I did activate it today, and so far it is behaving like Stats and preventing the car from sleeping. If it doesn't sleep by tomorrow I might deactivate until they fix it.
An issue with Sleep Mode not always reflecting the chosen timezone was resolved. You may have been encountering this initially, which was keeping the car from sleeping.
In the following week, I'll be adding a toggle to Sleep Mode called "Restful", which changes the Sleep Mode's 30-minute polling rate to 2 hours.

Additionally, Quiet Mode allows for completely disabling all vehicle polling (becomes excluded from automated process).

Once he adds the ability to import previous data from TeslaFi I might give it a shot. Have you given it a shot yet?
While this is ultimately on the roadmap, finding an appropriate method of importing previous data from TeslaFi has (and will likely always be) a challenge for most developers of other platforms.
If you allow for the importing of files, you open the risk of modified data, which can throw off algorithms, make some public calculations appear off, or allows for the risk of exploiting and vulnerabilities.

If you allow for otherwise scraping of data directly from TeslaFi, then you introduce a lot of other potential dilemmas such as:
  • Requires the individual's credentials for TeslaFi. When it's already uncomfortable enough to have to interact with Tesla.com credentials (we do offer using just tokens), it would feel odd to request for credentials of a competitor's platform. This also is not as reliable as discontinuing such method could be requested at any time (to be respected), which effectively kills off a major functionality.
  • TeslaFi doesn't validate many inputs. There are many inputs on the service that allows for providing any form of value, outside of the expected value type. This can lead to potential XSS attempts or otherwise breaking functionality entirely if a range of acceptable values isn't added for each and every value being imported.
  • Some pages on TeslaFi can take several seconds to load. While this isn't the biggest concern, time (and thus processing/waiting) for a metric to complete importing can eat up resources, or otherwise provide a lackluster experience. If the importing fails due to delays, this would lead to incomplete data or the risk of repetitive data in the database.
From a security standpoint, you can try your best to parse through everything and ensure there are no oddities, but one CVE or undisclosed exploit later, user data could be compromised. The privacy and safety of each member is incredibly important, and any interaction with outside data must be handled diligently. Normally, this data is always provided by Tesla, so we can guarantee the integrity of it. Although there are lots of amazing souls out there, there are unfortunately bad actors.

--

If there are any other questions, concerns, or feedback, please reach out to me via Private Messages. I've been informed that promoting of services isn't allowed on the forums and I'd wish to respect that. As such, any direct references to the service have been removed from my post.

Last edited:

undergrove

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
the time I was at a supercharger, went to put something in the trunk while my phone was re-booting, and ended up locked out with a now powered down phone locked inside easily got my money's worth out of Teslafi when I asked another owner if I could borrow their phone's browser so I could login to Teslafi to open my door :) (I'm sure you could accomplish the same task by logging into someone else's Tesla App, but that seems a little more invasive to ask them to log out and let you log into their app.)

(note - if your phone is acting up and you arrive at a supercharger and think it would be a good time to restart it, DO NOT power it down AND get out of the car and close the door with the phone on the charge pad at the same time. the doors will lock (if you have it set that way) when it cant find the phone nearby.)
I have used the Stats app since first getting our Model 3 last September. I can transfer any of the stats histories to a CSV file that I can load into a spreadsheet.

Apropos of getting locked out, Stats has a companion Apple Watch app. It also makes it easy to set up Siri shortcuts for your Tesla. On occasion I have gone out to the car and forgotten my phone. I have been able to unlock the car, open the frunk or trunk, and open the charge port using a Siri voice command without the phone--very handy.

This will work even if the phone is powered down. This has been at home while everything was connected to my local wifi. My Apple Watch has an activated SIM chip, so it should work away from wifi without the phone, but I will have to test this.

SalisburySam

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hey there, I wanted to respond to some of the questions/concerns brought up! 👍

While working on the Firmware Updates page in addition to Statistics, I took a lot of input from the Tesla Motors subreddit's members and other vehicle drivers (some local, but most remote).
One of the most commonly requested/brought up topics was providing an experience similar to TeslaFi; something familiar so that transitioning would be easier.

If you'd like, I can add a toggle for a "Clean" statistics page, hiding all images. Less distraction, more focus.

It began as a passion project for myself; wanting for an easy to use platform for viewing vehicle metrics. With that same passion, I want to continue expanding the available statistics provided, offer a Developer Documentation area, and eventually grow a larger fleet by welcoming free (and premium) members.

An issue with Sleep Mode not always reflecting the chosen timezone was resolved. You may have been encountering this initially, which was keeping the car from sleeping.
In the following week, I'll be adding a toggle to Sleep Mode called "Restful", which changes the Sleep Mode's 30-minute polling rate to 2 hours.

Additionally, Quiet Mode allows for completely disabling all vehicle polling (becomes excluded from automated process).

While this is ultimately on the roadmap, finding an appropriate method of importing previous data from TeslaFi has (and will likely always be) a challenge for most developers of other platforms.
If you allow for the importing of files, you open the risk of modified data, which can throw off algorithms, make some public calculations appear off, or allows for the risk of exploiting and vulnerabilities.

If you allow for otherwise scraping of data directly from TeslaFi, then you introduce a lot of other potential dilemmas such as:
  • Requires the individual's credentials for TeslaFi. When it's already uncomfortable enough to have to interact with Tesla.com credentials (we do offer using just tokens), it would feel odd to request for credentials of a competitor's platform. This also is not as reliable as discontinuing such method could be requested at any time (to be respected), which effectively kills off a major functionality.
  • TeslaFi doesn't validate many inputs. There are many inputs on the service that allows for providing any form of value, outside of the expected value type. This can lead to potential XSS attempts or otherwise breaking functionality entirely if a range of acceptable values isn't added for each and every value being imported.
  • Some pages on TeslaFi can take several seconds to load. While this isn't the biggest concern, time (and thus processing/waiting) for a metric to complete importing can eat up resources, or otherwise provide a lackluster experience. If the importing fails due to delays, this would lead to incomplete data or the risk of repetitive data in the database.
From a security standpoint, you can try your best to parse through everything and ensure there are no oddities, but one CVE or undisclosed exploit later, user data could be compromised. The privacy and safety of each member is incredibly important, and any interaction with outside data must be handled diligently. Normally, this data is always provided by Tesla, so we can guarantee the integrity of it. Although there are lots of amazing souls out there, there are unfortunately bad actors.

--

If there are any other questions, concerns, or feedback, please reach out to me via Private Messages. I've been informed that promoting of services isn't allowed on the forums and I'd wish to respect that. As such, any direct references to the service have been removed from my post.
I appreciate and can understand the lengthy and apparently numerous reasons why developers of one app don’t offer the ability to import data from another. That said, I don’t really care. Until all of these issues and maybe others are overcome, I’ll continue to use TeslaFi. And that’s not at all a bad thing.