Best tracking app

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

• It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

Chip Douglas

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I’ve heard of Teslafi and I’ve also heard about Stats for iOS. Do these apps basically do the same thing. Is one preferred over the other?

Thanks for any suggestion.

SalisburySam

TOO Supporting Member
Green Level Supporter
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
There are bits of overlap in functionality between the two products, and the Tesla app as well. Biggest difference for me is that Tesla’s app is free, Stats is a one-time charge (at least so far), and TeslaFi is $50/year forever.

That said, I signed up for TeslaFi shortly after I got my Model 3 last July, and I admit I do like it a lot. I also like that there are over 1700 other Model 3’s who also subscribe and that generates some interesting statistical information. But for me TeslaFi does many things the Tesla app doesn’t do that I like. Stats may do the same but I’m not going to have two quasi-redundant apps and I do like TeslaFi.

Niki-and-I

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
There is a big difference between Stats and TeslaFi. Stats pulls the data to your phone and that is only stored there, not on a server. TeslaFi does pull your data to their own servers. (Of course, Tesla's servers do have everyone's data too, and that is currently where all these apps get it from)

This may not be important to a lot of people, but if you think that the data of where you have driven to at which times, etc. is too sensitive to fall in bad hands, then you may prefer Stats to TeslaFi. This way you don't copy the data from Tesla to TeslaFi's (ie you keep only one copy of the data outside your control, versus two copies)

Note that the folks at TeslaFi seem to be very security minded and I have no reason to suspect their site would be insecure. However no site is fully secure and the fact that they aggregate so much sensitive data means that they could become a magnet for hackers (of course, Tesla's computers are even a stronger magnet, but there is nothing we can do about that). And who knows what happens to TeslaFi in the future?

I am using a python software that pulls the data to my own computer. This has two advantages: a) I don't have to give my password or key to a 3rd party, and b) I control the data. Th software was created by @Climate Change Denier and I am now extending it. We're discussing it on a different thread, I just mention it here because it shows my choice regarding the issue of where the data is stored.

If I was not already working on this software, I sure would be using Stats rather than TeslaFi.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I’ve heard of Teslafi and I’ve also heard about Stats for iOS. Do these apps basically do the same thing. Is one preferred over the other?

Thanks for any suggestion.
I've been using Teslafi since I got my car and love it. I generally don't go for subscription modeled services, but this at $50/year is a fantastic value.
Besides just geeking out over the data it pulls from the API, I use it for my work expense reports/mileage, use it to go back and remind myself when I was at x place (IE, what day was that I went to someone's house and loaned them x? should they be done with it by now? or what day did I go on that work road trip in November?), etc, etc. So essentially, use it as an electronic planner of sorts.

teslaliving

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
TezLab (tezlabapp.com) also provides a ton of good apps and has a social aspect to it. Bonus is that its totally free and provides mobile apps, in-car dash, etc.

Needsdecaf

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've been using Teslafi since I got my car and love it. I generally don't go for subscription modeled services, but this at $50/year is a fantastic value.
Besides just geeking out over the data it pulls from the API, I use it for my work expense reports/mileage, use it to go back and remind myself when I was at x place (IE, what day was that I went to someone's house and loaned them x? should they be done with it by now? or what day did I go on that work road trip in November?), etc, etc. So essentially, use it as an electronic planner of sorts.
Melinda, I haven't played around with it yet, but is there a way to sort / summarize drives by their tags? I have all my commutes tagged as such, and all my work drives tagged as well. I haven't figured out a way to sort / report only those, however I admittedly haven't looked to hard.

Thanks.

Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Melinda, I haven't played around with it yet, but is there a way to sort / summarize drives by their tags? I have all my commutes tagged as such, and all my work drives tagged as well. I haven't figured out a way to sort / report only those, however I admittedly haven't looked to hard.
I have commutes auto-tagged as well (a super-convenient feature!). To search drives with a particular tag, select Drives > Drive Search/Download from the main menu, and select the desired tag from the "Tag" dropdown in the lower-right corner.

At the moment, you can only search for tag at a time. I kinda wish you could search for multiple tags, since I tag the three legs of my commute differently (Home -> Work, Work -> School Pickup, School Pickup -> Home). In fact, I'll just go ahead and submit that as a feature request. :)

alienranch

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've used both, but am not a fan of TeslaFi's drain by doing the constant polling. You can set the polling intervals, and define sleep times, but it's still just a bit much of a drain for me to justify. I've seen no drain from Stats and prefer the mobile app interface. TeslaFi does have more data to geek out on. Just depends on what info you're looking for, and how granular you need that data.

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've used both, but am not a fan of TeslaFi's drain by doing the constant polling. You can set the polling intervals, and define sleep times, but it's still just a bit much of a drain for me to justify. I've seen no drain from Stats and prefer the mobile app interface. TeslaFi does have more data to geek out on. Just depends on what info you're looking for, and how granular you need that data.
If you uncheck all "Try To Sleep Requirements:" in Teslafi settings, it will no longer have any drain. I wish that was better documented or default for Model 3s. I prefer Teslafi's not disturbing the car at all while it's asleep to Stats' waking the car up every 30 minutes.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've not experienced drain with Teslafi. Check your settings.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've not experienced drain with Teslafi. Check your settings.
Agreed, I've been using TeslaFi since the beginning of January and haven't had any phantom drain issues at all. It puts the car to sleep as expected (provided the car is ready to sleep) and that's that. I find it far superior to Stats and definitely worth the annual fee. TeslaFi offers an insane range of stats compared to the smartphone apps that are floating around, along with a pile of other features. I've had zero issues or concerns with my Model 3 when using it.

If anyone wishes to give TeslaFi a try, you can get a 30 day free trial (as opposed to two weeks) using my referral code (same as my username here). Be sure to refer to their article on how to setup Sleep Mode for best results. https://support.teslafi.com/knowled...enabling-sleep-settings-to-limit-vampire-loss

Last edited:

alienranch

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If you uncheck all "Try To Sleep Requirements:" in Teslafi settings, it will no longer have any drain. I wish that was better documented or default for Model 3s. I prefer Teslafi's not disturbing the car at all while it's asleep to Stats' waking the car up every 30 minutes.
Thanks for the info. Do you mind sharing your "Sleep Modes" settings? I already had "Try to Sleep Requirements" unchecked, but it was still polling and waking up the car. If I could continue to use without any additional drain, I'm all in!

ATown312

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Teslafi support suggests leaving the Shift State Reading checked for Model 3. That's what I use and have always had good experience with my car going to and staying asleep.

https://support.teslafi.com/knowledge-bases/2/articles/161-my-vehicle-is-not-sleeping

Possible 'Try To Sleep Requirements':
"Model 3 & Model S/X MCU 2 (Post April 2018): Shift State Reading Checked - All others Off "

Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks for the info. Do you mind sharing your "Sleep Modes" settings? I already had "Try to Sleep Requirements" unchecked, but it was still polling and waking up the car. If I could continue to use without any additional drain, I'm all in!
See the TeslaFi sleep settings example here.

FWIW, while I've seen examples of TeslaFi *preventing* a car from sleeping, I haven't seen any cases of TeslaFi "accidentally" waking up an already-sleeping car on its own.

I did see a post earlier where someone had both TeslaFi and another third-party service (I think it was Stats) polling the car, and the car was constantly falling asleep and waking up because the services used different approaches to polling the car. If you're trying to use Stats and TeslaFi at the same time, your car may be exhibiting similar behavior.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Sorry to bring back an old thread here, but I have some serious concerns with giving my credentials to any of these apps. Am I wrong here? I tried Telsafi and liked all of the data it was giving me, then the IT engineer in my head started screaming at me so I killed it and reset my credentials on the tesla site. I know that Teslafi creates a token with Tesla and then no longer uses my credentials directly. What's going to happen when Teslafi gets hacked? My BIG concern here is my credit card is associated with my Tesla account. It is there from my initial deposit and kept there for supercharger access. So when Teslafi or any of the others get hacked and they use my token to access Tesla and my account (and maybe my Model 3), what's to stop them from doing anything they want? Let's go ahead and use my card to order a new car, or purchase accessories or perhaps access my car directly and do nasty things to it.

Am I way off here? We are allowing the path from these services directly in to our accounts and our cars to retrieve data, but it can also access everything else that's there WHEN they get hacked. Right?

Needsdecaf

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I spoke to an IT professional who happens to be the best man at my wedding. He works on these exact type of systems...identification and access to data for individual users across multiple platforms into multiple areas of data. His clients include the federal government, banks, etc. I asked him about TeslaFi, told him how it works and he told me the token system is pretty safe, so I went ahead and did it. I had the same concerns you did.

But I'm just a random dude on the internet, talking about his friend. I would advise you to seek out a similar professional and ask their opinion and then judge for yourself.