Bay Area California Model 3 Glass Repair Recommendation

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, five years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to more features on the site. We now offer yearly memberships too! For more information visit this page:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

FOLLOW US ON TWITTER

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

EVmatch: the Airbnb of EV charging.

John

Tech Founder
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
When my rock chip turned into a full-on cracked windshield (after a failed Safelite repair, no less), it was time to replace it.

Tesla referred me to Andy at All Day Auto Glass here in the Bay Area.

I called Andy on a Friday and made an appointment for the following Tuesday. He showed up Tuesday and replaced the windshield in less than hour.

Couple of interesting points, and some insight into the Tesla parts situation:
  • The windshield includes the light sensor and housing, as well as a harness for wires and a connector. More complicated than a normal windshield. So no third-party glass solutions for Model 3 will work.
  • Andy told me "Nope, you won't need calibration, really. If you do, it will do it automatically. Tesla told me they've had to bring in a Model 3 for recalibration only once, but that time they had swapped the cameras, too. It's a really well-designed system."
  • "Getting glass can be hard. You were lucky I had just been told I could get these, and you snapped up the first one. I can't just buy as many as I want, we have to give a VIN now to get them." So Tesla strictly allocates parts, repair places can't just horde them.
  • The rear window smash and grab is definitely a thing around here, and Andy tells customers like I do to fold their seats down when street parking. I told him about the light I turn on in the trunk to make it even more obvious and he laughed. "Good idea!"
  • Andy told me a story of someone who had their rear window smashed twice in the first 20 miles of owning their Model 3. Once while parked for lunch in Oakland just after buying the car, which he drove immediately to a shop—and then once again as soon as he got home.
  • Andy said the worst thing to need is side glass for an early Model X. "One customer was left waiting for 6 months by another glass place, then she called me. I quoted her a price—with no promise of when I could get the part—and she said, 'That's too high.' When I asked what the other place was charging her, she said, '$1200.' So I told her, 'Ma'am, that part is $1600 from Tesla, so I don't think you are EVER going to get it."
  • Andy also works at Tesla installing glass for warranty repairs as well when they need him. He is more experienced than the other people they have working there, because evidently that's kind of a bottom-rung job for workers. He has interesting stories about that, as well.
Anyway, I'd recommend Andy, because he's really tapped into the supply situation (which is important) and he's very experienced and knowledgeable about the cars. And if you live somewhere else, do try to find someone with similar experience if you can. Of course, hopefully you won't need it.

Reactions: 5 people

HeavyPedal

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Just had a rock hit and badly crack my windshield last week. The crack extends from the edge and was rapidly expanding. We've been advised it's not safe to drive. A week after the order was placed Tesla informed me that the glass is on backorder and given my current place in the queue, my wait will be two weeks to a month. :mad:

FRC

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Just had a rock hit and badly crack my windshield last week. The crack extends from the edge and was rapidly expanding. We've been advised it's not safe to drive. A week after the order was placed Tesla informed me that the glass is on backorder and given my current place in the queue, my wait will be two weeks to a month. :mad:
I am unaware of any source other than Tesla for Model 3 glass at this time. I would love for someone to prove me wrong!

HeavyPedal

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I am unaware of any source other than Tesla for Model 3 glass at this time. I would love for someone to prove me wrong!

Tesla confirmed for me what John mentioned in the OP, that the windshield is more complicated and there are no third-party vendors (as yet). I'd prefer OEM anyway, but am not happy being without my car as much as a month.

John

Tech Founder
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Tesla confirmed for me what John mentioned in the OP, that the windshield is more complicated and there are no third-party vendors (as yet). I'd prefer OEM anyway, but am not happy being without my car as much as a month.

Yes, Tesla must supply the glass.
Call Andy right away at 408-628-9223.
He'll want your VIN.
I got lucky when I called him and he had a couple of windshields about to come in. How windshields flow through the system sounds chaotic, so call right away.
Frankly, you'd rather have Andy install it than Tesla. He's better than almost all of their guys.