Battery vent louver issue?

Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
Day 4 in my Model 3. I noticed on day 2 after working in the garage for a bit that the front battery vent louvers are opening and closing every 6 seconds. At first I thought it was happening only after a spirited drive (I'll be honest, this early they are all rather spirited!). However last night I decided to set a camera facing them over night and sure enough, every 6 seconds they open and close.

I've contacted Service and they are asking around, so no news yet. It's not impacting performance and the battery seems to be staying cool (no warnings or errors posted). Posting here to see if anyone else has noticed similar behavior or can check if you haven't.?

I'll update again when I hear from the service center.

Thanks,
K

Ken Voss

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Day 4 in my Model 3. I noticed on day 2 after working in the garage for a bit that the front battery vent louvers are opening and closing every 6 seconds. At first I thought it was happening only after a spirited drive (I'll be honest, this early they are all rather spirited!). However last night I decided to set a camera facing them over night and sure enough, every 6 seconds they open and close.

I've contacted Service and they are asking around, so no news yet. It's not impacting performance and the battery seems to be staying cool (no warnings or errors posted). Posting here to see if anyone else has noticed similar behavior or can check if you haven't.?

I'll update again when I hear from the service center.

Thanks,
K
There have been several reports of unusual noise when the car is at rest in the garage, wonder if this can explain those noises

Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
No news from Tesla service on this one. Doesnt sound like they have tracked it down yet. I go the 2018.4.9 700fb88 update today. Updated this morning. After I returned home from work the louvers stopped moving after 30 or so minutes. That's a first. Will capture some more data points over the next few days to see if indeed this update starts to address this.

New funkiness with this update - When the car is not locked an in P the charge port opens. Wont stay closed unless I close it and lock the car. Very odd! Going to keep an eye on that.

Thanks,
K

iluvmacs

Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
I noticed mine actually only does it when the car is "awake" -- i.e. when I'm close to it with my phone and it notices.

Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
After a few more days I can confirm the new update does not decrees the frequency. Also I tested with my phone removed as a key for 2 days and same issue. So not proximity related.

Lovesword

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I just got my car back Thursday, I’m on 2018.4.9 and I noticed this too. So much so that I took a quick video, then have just been wondering what it is but living with it. Very interested to hear from others what they find out.
Here’s the video, horrible sound quality (I think I must have put a finger on the microphone or something which caused a ticking noise throughout a bit of the video) but at least this gives an idea of what we’re talking about to those that maybe haven’t heard it.

Lovesword

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@LUXMAN I can say that this never happened on my car before it came back from the service center on 2018.4.9. So I believe this to be a firmware issue that will get corrected again in the next firmware update... that will in turn break something else that needs corrected in a subsequent update! Ah, the circle of life! (hakunamatatah?)

Today's the day @atebit!

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@LUXMAN I can say that this never happened on my car before it came back from the service center on 2018.4.9. So I believe this to be a firmware issue that will get corrected again in the next firmware update... that will in turn break something else that needs corrected in a subsequent update! Ah, the circle of life! (hakunamatatah?)

Today's the day @atebit!
That is great to hear. Hopefully then thr software fix comes in thr next 7 days! :D

atebit

Event Horizon II
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Well, when I demonstrated the problem to the Ranger, his first comment was, “well the car is going to make noises like that...”, at which point I had to distinguish this repetitive “Ive fallen and I can’t get up” noise from the usual occasional clicks, thunks & pump whirrs that we’re all used to. So at that point he agreed & said he’d investigate when he returned to the shop. : popcorn.

atebit

Event Horizon II
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Ah, so he checked it already...says the car is reporting a "calibration" issue with the louvers, which I guess is which it keeps opening/closing them. Should be fixed in an upcoming update, but he obviously can't say when. At least it sounds like Tesla's got a handle on it. Hopefully they will fix it soon so it doesn't eat into the MTBF too much more.

Lovesword

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Well, when I demonstrated the problem to the Ranger, his first comment was, “well the car is going to make noises like that...”, at which point I had to distinguish this repetitive “Ive fallen and I can’t get up” noise from the usual occasional clicks, thunks & pump whirrs that we’re all used to. So at that point he agreed & said he’d investigate when he returned to the shop. : popcorn.
"...did you try unplugging your modem for 30 seconds and then plugging it back in?"
- my internet provider, every time I call

Glad you got him to see this wasnt a normal noise. Thanks for sticking with it!
I wish there was a way to submit bug reports via video like the one I shot above. I bet it would be super easy for someone at Tesla to watch that short clip and go "hmm, that aint right"

Lovesword

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Anyone that noticed this issue get the most recent update (2018.10.1)? If so, did it fix the issue?

I'll update this thread if/when my car gets the update and I find out. Hoping someone else already got it and can comment.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Ah, so he checked it already...says the car is reporting a "calibration" issue with the louvers, which I guess is which it keeps opening/closing them. Should be fixed in an upcoming update, but he obviously can't say when. At least it sounds like Tesla's got a handle on it. Hopefully they will fix it soon so it doesn't eat into the MTBF too much more.
I just dropped my 3 at the SC today for this issue as well (and several others), wish I had read this thread earlier so I can show this to the guy.

PatrickM

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I reported it over a week ago - and took a video - and they said that someone would call me within 2-3 business days and no one did.

I'm glad - I think - to see that other people have the same issue. I mostly just worry about long-term wear on those louver motors. Hopefully it will be resolved soon.