BATTERY replacement

Country
Country
There's a notable thing that certain companies do called planned obsolescence.

So...
  1. How interchangeable is this lithium-ion-based battery that operates the vehicle.

I'm under the assumption based on the hardware being solid enough that this battery will be able to be changed at will after, say, 200k miles.

Will this car be capable of 800k miles in a user-friendly way.

3V Pilot

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I was hoping to double your 200k on the original battery. By then I hope some company would have a drop in replacement battery (made of the latest Nano-carbon-graphite-supercool-new-tech-stuff) that will re-charge in 5 minutes and give 500 miles of range!.......

Will this car be capable of 800k miles in a user-friendly way.
If something doesn't give (or if it gives and it is fixed after that) yes, M3 could go 800k miles.
Battery (modules inside the pack) are one of the most reliable parts of Tesla Model S / X.
There have been contactors failing, drivetrains (a lot), 12V batteries (a lot in early days), AC systems - but battery.. these only degrade. Very slowly.
There is a Model S with 250k miles, lost 7% of capacity.
My Leaf lost 7% but it just passed 100 000km.
Tesla will be totally usable even when it has lost half of range. It will still drive further than new 24kWh Leaf.
My Leaf (and other 2011-2016 Leafs) will not handle million km without a new pack.

JBsC6

Country
Country
800 thousand miles? For any car would be relatively abnormal.

I'm not quite sure 800k miles is within the scope of designers of any car.

I would suggest planning for a relatively trouble free 100k miles and be grateful for that.

To go 200k miles I would plan for maintaince.

I have heard of a tesla model S going approximately 300k mikes in I believe a livery service in Norway or Sweden.

It was I believe relatively trouble free with only a 7 percent battery degradation in the short time period of a few years and relatively heavy mileage use.

That's the best information on tesla s I've seen so far.

I wouldn't plan beyond 100k miles but would imagine 200k is doable with added costs at 12k mikes a year.

Surprisingly interesting question at 800k miles ..

If the average person drove 10k miles a year....that would be 80 years of use? Even quadrupling the average mileage driven to 40k miles a year...that's still 20 years of service...

Wow!

dogfood

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Last edited:

Dr. J

Private
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3