Battery degradation, real or imagined?

Jay79

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've lost 7 percent range in 9 months. Hopefully the degradation tapers off after the first initial hit

Dan D

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Is this range degradation already?:

I have always charged to 90% for whatever reason, nice round number. In the early months, a 90% charge displayed around 275-280 miles of range. That's good math (90% of 310 is 279). Over the past few months, and lately more drastically... without changing the charge limit, I started seeing 272...... 270....... 268........ 265 and this morning......256!!!!!!! It's still showing 88-90% charged.

Is this a problem that I should have looked at? Or is this what older threads (I haven't been trolling the forums much lately) were talking about having to 'reset' charging by trying to run it almost dead before re-charging?

Help.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Is this range degradation already?:

I have always charged to 90% for whatever reason, nice round number. In the early months, a 90% charge displayed around 275-280 miles of range. That's good math (90% of 310 is 279). Over the past few months, and lately more drastically... without changing the charge limit, I started seeing 272...... 270....... 268........ 265 and this morning......256!!!!!!! It's still showing 88-90% charged.

Is this a problem that I should have looked at? Or is this what older threads (I haven't been trolling the forums much lately) were talking about having to 'reset' charging by trying to run it almost dead before re-charging?

Help.
Have you tried a battery recalibration? If not, take your battery down to 10-20%. Then charge back to 90%. Repeat up to 2 times. It should sort itself out hopefully. It's also good to play around with the full charge... move around from 70 to 80 to 90 occasionally.

Dan D

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Have you tried a battery recalibration? If not, take your battery down to 10-20%. Then charge back to 90%. Repeat up to 2 times. It should sort itself out hopefully. It's also good to play around with the full charge... move around from 70 to 80 to 90 occasionally.
I am going to try those things. I went back and read most of this thread with all of the comments about recalibrating. Thanks.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
that had zero impact on my car's battery capacity/range loss

JML

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hopefully this is the conclusion to my bad battery problem. Instead of linking to every post about it, here is my posting history if you want to read the story, but really it can be summed up in this one graph:
FusionCharts.png
After going back and forth with Tesla service where they kept saying nothing was wrong, and to try charging differently, the battery finally gave a real error, and refused to charge. That happened after the close of work on a Friday, where I was going out of town the following two weeks. I scheduled a service appointment for the first day I was back, and Tesla service was able to remotely confirm the error and order a battery, so it was waiting for me when I dropped off my car.

I dropped off my car on Friday morning, drove home in a Model S 70, and picked up my car on the morning of the following Wednesday. There was one car in line in front of mine for major service, so they didn't get to it until Monday afternoon or Tuesday, but that was all the time they needed to swap the battery. The interesting parts of the invoice say
Verified alert was present while in service. Reviewed vehicle logs and found issue internal to HV battery. Replaced HV
battery. Updated firmware to latest version. Test drove and charged vehicle successfully with no alerts.
ASY,HVBAT,75kWh,AWD,KELVIN,1PH,M3,RMN
Pay Type: HV Battery Limited Warranty
Assuming the battery doesn't fall out or something, the service experience worked out to be great. Of course, texts that I was going to get Uber credit instead of a loaner, and such, kept my anxiety up, but in the end it was as fast and simple as one can hope for.

The car is currently charging at my work charger, and based on the charging speed, estimated time remaining, and current state of charge the full capacity of the battery is 305-306 miles. Based on logs, the battery was installed in the car at 27% SOC, the service center charged it to 45%, and then it was at 32% when I got to the work charger. I'll fill it to 90% overnight.

For most of the life of the first battery, I had a very random charging cycle. In the winter I'd charge to 70% at night, and then another 5% in the morning to preheat the battery. I'd go days without charging it, then let it charge at work to whatever capacity it happened to hit when it was time to go home. That meant that I'd start charging immediately after a drive, and start driving immediately after a charge. All of those things should be fine, but go against what service told me I should do to revive my battery, which was to charge to 90% nightly, and occasionally let it drop below 40% before charging to 90%. For the times it charges 40-90, make sure it sits for an hour or so before and after charging so the BMS can take measurements.

Anyway, I'm not convinced that my charging pattern had anything to do with the battery dying. In my opinion of how the world should work, my odd pattern might have resulted in 10-20 miles of range loss as the BMS was getting poor estimates from the battery, but my battery died due to internal faults, which had nothing to do with my charge style. If this is not true, and I did kill my battery, then Tesla is going to be destroyed by the warranty on the Model 3 battery. My "charge whenever convenient" style is probably the same that most Model 3 owners will use.

I do hope if there is anybody in this thread whose range loss is due to a bad battery, that your experience in replacing it is as painless as mine. Also, try to plan a vacation when your car won't charge, because then it isn't too painful.

tencate

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Anyway, I'm not convinced that my charging pattern had anything to do with the battery dying. In my opinion of how the world should work, my odd pattern might have resulted in 10-20 miles of range loss as the BMS was getting poor estimates from the battery, but my battery died due to internal faults, which had nothing to do with my charge style. If this is not true, and I did kill my battery, then Tesla is going to be destroyed by the warranty on the Model 3 battery. My "charge whenever convenient" style is probably the same that most Model 3 owners will use.
My charging style is as random as yours appears to be and I've got nearly 42,000 miles on mine with almost no degradation. I do take long trips however, and perhaps several juice up/run it way down/juice up/run it way down cycles help? Wild guess, don't believe anything unless I hear it from someone I think is an expert :)

HCD3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hi Melinda. I’m curious as why you thought my post was funny. The Teslafi battery report has my car on an overall trend of up, but seems to be flattening lately. It just seems weird that there appears to be no degradation in 5 K miles thus far. My charging habits were in my post too. Let me know what you think.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I find it funny, because in the first 7k miles I had my car, I charged to 80% every night, never to 100%, only had supercharged a couple times when out of town (essentially exactly like you outlined) and overnight one day dropped over 5 miles in range. over the next month, it dropped another 10 miles in range while trying all the various recommendations to 'recalibrate' the BMS. currently sitting at about 20 miles of range loss - all in the last 4 months.
this is the RANGE LOSS thread, not the RANGE EXCTLY THE SAME thread.

HCD3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Jeepers that’s a big loss of range. Did it happen suddenly, like after a firmware update? The discussion in this thread had quite a bit of talk about charging habits and I was hoping to be helpful with mine. Your precipitous loss of range doesn’t sound good. Any plans to bring it to a SC?