Battery degradation, real or imagined?

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, five years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to more features on the site. We now offer yearly memberships too! For more information visit this page:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

shareef777

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I do not think there is any question that battery degradation is real, but what is acceptable is what all EV owners have to decide. I'm at 7% after 2+ years. and that amount of degradation is fine with me. 5% of that came in the first year.

Yeah, unfortunately Tesla has deemed up to 30% degradation within 8 years as acceptable. I don’t think even the most loyal of Tesla fans would find that acceptable. They should have put that as 20%.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
My 2012 Nissan Leaf lost over 40% of it's range after 6 years and 100,000 miles.

So the 5% loss that I'm currently seeing is nothing by comparison. I'm quite happy with this result. :cool:

But most Tesla owners aren't aware that the BMS will often under-report remaining miles. If I hadn't gone through a "BMS recalibration procedure", then I would have thought that my degradation was closer to 14%.

• Agree
Reactions: JWardell

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Yeah, unfortunately Tesla has deemed up to 30% degradation within 8 years as acceptable. I don’t think even the most loyal of Tesla fans would find that acceptable. They should have put that as 20%.
I wish they would have provided a better warranty as well, but I wonder if 30% was chosen so that they don't get as many calls from people who simply have "BMS is confused" syndrome.

Reactions: Madmolecule

shareef777

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I wish they would have provided a better warranty as well, but I wonder if 30% was chosen so that they don't get as many calls from people who simply have "BMS is confused" syndrome.

Great point. This actually makes me wonder if they need to throw up a warning or at least track individual's charging habits and provide a "gauge" of some sort to let them know how far off their estimated range may be.

Maybe something like, "your battery SOC has remained between 50 and 80% for an extended length of time, your range can be better calculated by allowing your vehicle battery to drop below 10% and charge up to 90%.

Jim H

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
You are using the battery warranty information as what Tesla has deemed acceptable, and those numbers are correct. However there are several articles that address battery degradation in higher milage Tesla's at closer to 10% over 160k miles. There of course, are no Model 3's out there that have tested the time period of the warranty, but I believe some may be approaching the milage warranty.
The 10% figure was based on the Model S batteries since they are the only model that has been out for more than 8 years, and have many high milage cars to acquire data from. Data also supports the 5% loss number many have experienced in the first year of ownership. Attached article also claims that the current trends are more in the 10% loss at 186k.
Tesla and their battery technology are still at the leading edge of what is currently available, and is still considered the best on the market, including degradation.

cemoz101

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Hi,

I had a question about battery degradation.

I'm using teslafi and today after charging to 90% I noticed that my estimated range is 351km. Degradation wise it shows up as 6.5% (based on starting range vs current range) .

I always charge to 90% unless I do a long trip. The car is not even at 13 000 KM, so the loss felt quite excessive.

Just wondered if this is expected or if there is something off with the battery... or is it a calibration thing ?

Thank you.

About us

• Tesla Owners Online © 2015-2021. All rights reserved.
    Tesla Owners Online (TOO) is an enthusiast forum and is not affiliated with Tesla Motors or Official Tesla Owners Clubs.
    All Tesla logos are trademarks or registered trademarks of Tesla Motors.