Battery degradation 30% at 83k miles/134k km

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, five years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to more features on the site. We now offer yearly memberships too! For more information visit this page:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Tomas Petru

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model S
Hi,
I have 2014 Tesla S P85+

The nominal capacity should be 85kWh

My capacity is 60kWh (see picture - kWh to total discharge). I have measured this repeatedly during 6000km trip with all charging at Tesla supercharger and aircon turned off, as I need to get the extra distance. You can also see the very low consumption per km as I was driving very economically to get the distance. Finnaly, the temperature was 15-30deg Celsius - Czech Republic to South of Spain and back.

That means 30% drop in capacity after 83k miles / 134k km.

Tesla service states that it is normal when I have asked for a warranty repair (there is 8y warranty). They refused to provide any details as it is company secret. They only state that the battery is ok.

Other places state even as low as 7% capacity loss at 150k miles.

Anybody has any experience with such battery situation?

I definitely don't consider it as "normal capacity loss".

Thank you

Tom
8DFEF5DD-B259-43A3-B21C-C1F1185BBC99.jpeg
2AA76CF0-D16C-494F-AC50-2DE37C9BCBAE.jpeg

TrevP

TOO Founder / Administrator
Founder
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Have you ever done any deep BMS recalibrations? 30% loss over 134K Kms seems a bit much to be.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I have 2014 Tesla S P85+
The nominal capacity should be 85kWh
It's not though. Actual usable capacity when new is 77.5kWh.
Reference: https://electrek.co/2016/12/14/tesla-battery-capacity/

Currently, the battery warranty for a Model S states:

Model S and Model X – 8 years or 240,000 km, whichever comes first, with minimum 70% retention of Battery capacity over the warranty period.

70% of 77.5kWh would be 54.25kWh. Tesla is unlikely to do anything unless it degrades down to that level within 8 years.

Ed Woodrick

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Looking closer at your pictures, they don't seem to agree with what you are saying. Your capacity seems to be more than 60 kWh, both because you are showing 60.3 and something tells me that you didn't charge to 100%.

It really sounds like a calibration issue. If you aren't aware of it, there are hundreds of threads that talk about it ad nauseum. In short, take the battery to above 95% if you haven't done so. We see that you've taken it down to basically 0%. Also, are you using Superchargers all the time? If so, take it to the 95+% on a slower charger and let it sit for awhile, hours, if not a day, so that the cells can balance and the computers recalibrate.

About us

• Tesla Owners Online © 2015-2021. All rights reserved.
    Tesla Owners Online (TOO) is an enthusiast forum and is not affiliated with Tesla Motors or Official Tesla Owners Clubs.
    All Tesla logos are trademarks or registered trademarks of Tesla Motors.