Battery charge limit percentage

stlgrym3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I asked this during delivery but is it true our car can’t display charge limit in percentage? When I slide that bar I’d like to know exactly what percentage I’m at. The delivery lady told me the “Trip” mark is 90% so just based on that set whatever I want.

Mine Long Range Model 3 shows 264 when charge completed, since the range for LR is 310, so that comes out to 85%. Is this an optimum charge limit for our Model 3?

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
You can flip the displayed between range (miles) and percentage, on the display settings page to see your current %. This doesn’t do anything on the setting charge limit page, but once charged, its a good way to double check the %

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I asked this during delivery but is it true our car can’t display charge limit in percentage? When I slide that bar I’d like to know exactly what percentage I’m at. The delivery lady told me the “Trip” mark is 90% so just based on that set whatever I want.
On the page where you set the charge limit, the delivery person is correct. It shows lines at 50%, 60%, 70%, 80%, and 90%, but they're not labeled. And there doesn't appear to be a way to explicitly "snap" to one of the lines - you just put your finger close and hope you're close enough.

And as @MelindaV says, for the current state of the battery, you can choose to have the car display a percentage of full, or an estimate of miles remaining.

viperd

Country
Country
I’ve seen 3rd party phone/pc apps that allow you to set exact percentage. For example the Valet app that Trev demo’d on his YouTube.

But then you risk phantom drain.

Ed Woodrick

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm not sure why you are so intent in knowing the exact percent. Honestly, miles are 300% more precise.

85% may be an optimal number, but optimal is really based on your usage.

dannyskim

Another way to set the exact percentage is through the EVcar voice assistant:

https://assistant.google.com/services/a/id/5a33fba4f93f74bc

I believe the developer is a member on these forums.

The commands I use the most are:

get charge status
set charge limit to X percent
unlock car

I also utilize this as part of my routine when leaving the house. When I tell my Google Home that I'm leaving, it:

Turns off all my wifi lights
Sets my Nest to ECO mode
Turns off my TV
Arms my alarm
Unlocks my car
Opens my garage

Bigriver

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
I'm not sure why you are so intent in knowing the exact percent. Honestly, miles are 300% more precise.

85% may be an optimal number, but optimal is really based on your usage.
Exact percentage is necessary if you want to know what your scaled-up 100% charge is at. If you just leave it at the same percentage all the time, then you can develop an understanding of capacity loss... but I charge to different percentages at different times, so I don’t like relying on the approximate slider scale.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Another way to set the exact percentage is through the EVcar voice assistant:

https://assistant.google.com/services/a/id/5a33fba4f93f74bc

I believe the developer is a member on these forums.

The commands I use the most are:

get charge status
set charge limit to X percent
unlock car

I also utilize this as part of my routine when leaving the house. When I tell my Google Home that I'm leaving, it:

Turns off all my wifi lights
Sets my Nest to ECO mode
Turns off my TV
Arms my alarm
Unlocks my car
Opens my garage
or use the Siri Shortcuts that pulls directly from the Tesla API instead of sharing your login with a 3rd party.
shortcut-png.17089

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I’ve seen 3rd party phone/pc apps that allow you to set exact percentage. For example the Valet app that Trev demo’d on his YouTube.

But then you risk phantom drain.
I wouldn’t worry so much. For daily use the difference between 82% and 84% is trivial.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Just have to say on a semi-related note to this thread that the slider is laughably small on that huge screen to set your charging limit. Needlessly tiny and inaccurate / difficult, even for a young-ish person like myself hah. I don't see why we need a full image of the car diagram/outline every time...the purpose of the charging is only to discuss the battery! They should utilize that beautiful screen we've all got :)