Base Model 3 - what do we know?

TJ21

I'm wondering what the base model 3 will be like. Do we have any clues about what the interior and exterior finishes will be like and how it will differ from the models with the premium package? Also does anyone have any real world experience with the lower range teslas? How much of a headache is the shorter range? Or is it not so big of a nuisance?

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
nothing yet on the difference between the PUP and standard interior - Once info starts to get out there, there's a thread started here to track what people find
there are plenty of Model S owners out there with similar range as the standard 220 mile will get. It obviously will depend on what your individual needs are but those original smaller battery S owners made it work since prior to widespread Superchargers being available.
for me, my current car's fuel range is around 225 miles and fill up no more than once a week - so would 220 be a nuisance? no. someone that drives hundreds of miles a day on a regular basis, maybe.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Do we have any clues about what the interior and exterior finishes will be like
I expect exterior to be identical. The paint colors are currently exactly the same across all Tesla models - S, X, and 3.
Also does anyone have any real world experience with the lower range teslas? How much of a headache is the shorter range? Or is it not so big of a nuisance?
I "low-range Tesla" still has 220 miles of range. It's still better than any other EV available (except the Bolt). And if you need to go farther, a supercharge will allow you to do so - and no other EVs have anything comparable.

If this is your first EV, there will be some adjustments. You'll have to do a little bit of planning for long trips. OTOH, you will wake up every morning to a full battery, so no more trips for gas.

TJ21

Just to complete my thought, I'm taking into account the ~10% worst case battery degradation that electrek reported as well as using the battery between 10% - 90% charge. Taking these two factors into account it'd be left with a 158 mile useful range vs 223 in the long range. Certainly an adjustment from my ICE with 300-400 mile range! (No chargers at my apartment and only 5 chargers at work with 5000+ employees with dozens of electric cars)

https://electrek.co/2018/04/14/tesla-battery-degradation-data/

TJ21

I live in the burbs now but ya i'd have to spend some time trekking to a charger. Nearest supercharger is 15 miles away which def chips away at useful range, but very hopeful more chargers will pop up soon!

Spiffywerks

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Currently driving a base Model S 75. I suspect the base model 3 will be very similar to this. No suede door inserts - same material as rest of door for inserts, decent sound system but lacks the clarity and thump of the premium system, material seats with leatherette trim— some people prefer them (I’m not one).

Performance will still be quick in comparison to most other cars in the same class. Only more performance oriented cars will be faster (think wrx).

But one feature I wouldn’t want to give up is auto pilot (and features like tacc). I could see $40k-$41 being the sweet spot. ($5k Auto pilot, $1k color change from black)

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
(No chargers at my apartment and only 5 chargers at work with 5000+ employees with dozens of electric cars)
If I didn't own a house where I can reliably charge overnight, then I honestly probably wouldn't purchase an electric car at this time. If you're dedicated, you can make it work. But it's not as convenient in that situation as a car with a 400-mile range and refueling capability in 5-10 minutes.

jsmay311

Country
Country
I think the best clues about the standard interior come from the description of the PUP: Just add the word "No" to each of the items listed below:

https://www.tesla.com/presskit#model3
  • No Premium heated seating and cabin materials throughout, including open pore wood décor and two rear USBs
  • No 12-way, power adjustable front seats, steering column and side mirrors, with custom driver profiles
  • No Premium audio system with more power, tweeters, surround speakers and subwoofer
  • No Tinted glass roof with ultraviolet and infrared protection
  • No Auto dimming, power folding, heated side mirrors
  • No LED fog lamps
  • No Center console with covered storage and docking for two smartphones

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

BluestarE3

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Haven't seen this posted anywhere but seems like they are previewing the base model TODAY IN st. Louis:
https://www.bizjournals.com/stlouis/news/2018/07/20/tesla-to-unveil-new-model-in-st-louis.amp.html
I read some of the initial comments on reddit and some people are reading too much into the story. This is likely the first Model 3 (of any kind) to be on display in St. Louis, not the first standard range version.

The problem is that many people (including the reporter of this article apparently) equate "Tesla Model 3" with "$35,000 electric car for the masses", ignoring the fact that there are Model 3s with upgrades that take the price beyond the $35K price point, and that these are the versions Tesla is making available at present..
  • Tesla Model 3 will have a base price of $35,000, which places it within reach of a larger segment of the car-buying public than previous Tesla offerings
  • The first display Model 3 (you know, that "$35,000 car" you may have heard about) will be coming to the St. Louis store
  • Ergo, the $35,000 version will be on display in St. Louis (OMG, the first in the world!!!)

Last edited:

mt.west.ev

Country
Country
The wait for a SR, PUP, red Tesla ...... has taking a toll on me.

I'm still "in the game" and I have NOT asked for my $1k back .... and doubt I will,
but I have most definitely downgraded my interest from the "want" .... to the "need" category.
And right now, I do not "need" a new car.

My 2015 Toyota Avalon Hybrid is a great car, and it has a lot of good miles remaining.
I'll watch the tax situation (I never expected to get the $7500). Plus, I know my Avalon deceases in trade-in value every day.

Initially, Tesla really hyped the $35k car. I do understand the need to increase profits, but they have shown little interest in assembling a car in that market. I suppose if they can sell every pricey car they can assemble .... why make a less expensive one?

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I do understand the need to increase profits,
Remember, they just recently started to break even on the Model 3. And this is while selling higher-optioned "First Production" models. They're still losing money. That should hopefully change this quarter.
but they have shown little interest in assembling a car in that market.
That's because they need to increase their production rate even further before they can sell a $35k Model 3 profitably.

Jay Jay

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I am getting more and more curious how the base model is going to turn out. It's been a while for this post, but any more recent speculation on what it will have/not have? There are things already in this thread that I definitely agree with and we all probably know, but I wonder, will it have LED lighting all the way around? Or maybe just the headlights? I still go back and forth on the glass roof...I'm now leaning towards it not having one.

TheTony

It happened.
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I am getting more and more curious how the base model is going to turn out. It's been a while for this post, but any more recent speculation on what it will have/not have? There are things already in this thread that I definitely agree with and we all probably know, but I wonder, will it have LED lighting all the way around? Or maybe just the headlights? I still go back and forth on the glass roof...I'm now leaning towards it not having one.
Things may have changed in the last year plus, but at that time I had a brief conversation with someone who was in a position to know and they indicated that the glass roof would stick around with the base version.

Granted, that person has since moved out of that position, so perhaps in that time there was found a way to do a non-glass roof that lowers cost while also not increasing manufacturing complexity.