Bad Tesla Autopilot drivers

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, five years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to more features on the site. We now offer yearly memberships too! For more information visit this page:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

FOLLOW US ON TWITTER

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

help_balance_thegrid_with_evdotenergy

JeffC

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
On a 3-lane (or more) highway I drive differently in a Tesla with AP than I do in an ICE car without.

In an ICE car without AP, I like to drive in the middle lane, because the merge lane is annoying. Because the middle lane generally moves a bit faster than the speed limit, I drive a bit faster than the speed limit (maybe 5-10 mph faster).

But with TACC, I like to drive just a bit above the speed limit. I like the better efficiency than driving faster...I've commented elsewhere on this forum that I do achieve the rated range in summer, and that's part of the reason why. It's also nice knowing I'm not at risk of tickets.

But to do that, it means I've had to re-train myself to drive in the merge lane! TACC has no problem with dealing with the modest speed adjustments needed as people ahead of me merge on and off. And travelling at the speed limit + 2 mph is acceptable in that lane.

So I agree with @JeffC. I think a lot of Tesla drivers have made the first part of my shift in driving strategy, using a bit slower speed than they would in a car without AP, but haven't figured out that they can do so in the merging lane.
Thanks @DocScott, it's useful feedback that TACC handles the merge lane well. Perhaps that might encourage hypermilers, folks who want to drive nearer to the speed limit, etc., to use it more often.

Again, the principle is to keep traffic flowing smoothly and avoid going too quickly or slowly for conditions, including the speed of cars nearby.

I do understand the idea that the middle lane is a good place to be for the good reasons you and others gave, but it should be done in a way that is similar to the speed of other cars in that lane.

Also agree that the physics of drag means that driving slower will be more thrifty with energy, especially at highway speeds.

Therefore driving relatively slower does usually result in greater driving range. Since drag is a cube of velocity, the effect goes up quickly at higher speeds (say, more than 70 MPH), even though Teslas have very low drag coefficients.

Last edited:

Long Ranger

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
TACC has no problem with dealing with the modest speed adjustments needed as people ahead of me merge on and off.
I don’t drive in the far right lane much, but my experience has always been that TACC doesn’t handle slow moving vehicles on the on-ramp well. It frequently panics and hits the brakes to let them merge, when it could have just maintained speed and been far in front before they merged.

JasonF

Legendary Member 🏆
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I've read articles and watched videos about the topic of people driving slower than traffic flow because either they have the right to, or they believe they're setting a good example, or they believe they're slowing everyone down to a safe speed.

One thing that was common in all of those was that people who are driving slower than traffic believe they're following the law and therefore have the right do do what they do; But the fact is, they can be ticketed over for impeding traffic, and they might even be stopped and tested for suspicion of DUI or inattentive driving if they're really oblivious. So while some people feel that slower is safer, it can get them into as much trouble as speeding.

garsh

Dis Member
Moderator 📌
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
One thing that was common in all of those was that people who are driving slower than traffic believe they're following the law and therefore have the right do do what they do; But the fact is, they can be ticketed over for impeding traffic
<citation needed>

If you refuse to move to the right to allow cars to pass, sure.
If you're not keeping above a minimum speed limits, ok.
But I've never heard of anybody get ticketed for staying below the speed limit in the right lane.

• Agree
Reactions: FRC

lance.bailey

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
not ticketed, but pulled over and "discussed" with an RCMP officer.

I was driving my cube truck camper (7 feet wide, 21 feet long, many feet tall) about 10 - 15km over the limit in the left lane. I got pulled over and "asked" to keep in the right lane because even though I was over the speed limit, other people wanted to travel even more over the limit and they wanted to get past me.

FWIW, i was travelling faster than the right lane, and matching speed with a buddy - but still i was considered an impedment due to size and the need for other to travel faster than a cube truck.

Reactions: garsh

Mr. Spacely

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
<citation needed>

If you refuse to move to the right to allow cars to pass, sure.
If you're not keeping above a minimum speed limits, ok.

It's a law in 40 US states.

FRC

Legendary Member 🏆
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3

It's a law in 40 US states.
Now we're comingling discussions about driving too slowly in the passing lane and too slowly in ANY lane. Every driver who is not a flaming A****** agrees that driving slowly in the passing lane is wrong, and in most states there are laws in place prohibiting this behavior.

However, driving at the speed limit(and even slower as @garsh states) in the NON-passing lanes is not illegal anywhere that I'm aware of. In fact travelling in excess of the speed limit is illegal everywhere, as far as I know, in any lane.

Caveat, I generally drive at +9 and use to left lane only to pass.

• Agree
Reactions: garsh and DocScott

JasonF

Legendary Member 🏆
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
But I've never heard of anybody get ticketed for staying below the speed limit in the right lane.

The topic was doing that in the left (or center) lane. You can be ticketed for driving above the minimum speed limit but much slower than traffic there.

It's an extremely common misconception that you can drive in the left lane at anything above the minimum speed and be 100% legal - hence the entire argument that's been going on in Youtube videos for years. Trolls that purposely drive slow in the left lane just to make other drivers mad, people who genuinely believe that they're making the roads safer by doing that, people who intentionally move to the left lane to slow it down because they want to pretend they're the highway patrol, etc.

FRC

Legendary Member 🏆
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
The topic was doing that in the left (or center) lane. You can be ticketed for driving above the minimum speed limit but much slower than traffic there.

It's an extremely common misconception that you can drive in the left lane at anything above the minimum speed and be 100% legal - hence the entire argument that's been going on in Youtube videos for years. Trolls that purposely drive slow in the left lane just to make other drivers mad, people who genuinely believe that they're making the roads safer by doing that, people who intentionally move to the left lane to slow it down because they want to pretend they're the highway patrol, etc.
Left lane, you're correct. Center lane, not so much.

Reactions: garsh

lance.bailey

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
freeway entrance sign, Delta BC. you will be ticketed if you cannot maintain 60 on the freeway.

speedlimit.png

DocScott

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I don’t drive in the far right lane much, but my experience has always been that TACC doesn’t handle slow moving vehicles on the on-ramp well. It frequently panics and hits the brakes to let them merge, when it could have just maintained speed and been far in front before they merged.
For me, that used to be a problem, but AP got significantly better with that circumstance maybe a year ago. I could have that timeframe off, but it definitely improved. If anything, I now have a bit of the opposite problem--I sometimes disengage to slow a few mph and let a car in the on-ramp merge in ahead of me, when AP would rather just keep toodling along at the speed limit + 2 mph, ending up roughly even with the other car when that car gets to the end of the on-ramp.

JasonF

Legendary Member 🏆
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Left lane, you're correct. Center lane, not so much.

Obstructing traffic citations apply to the center lane as well. But you'd have to be going much slower than in the left lane to get it. Like if you see the minimum speed is 45 mph, and you go 45 in the center lane when traffic is moving at 75, you're definitely getting a ticket.