Backup Camera View Blacked Out

• Our merch store is back! Check out our line of quality apparel and accessories featuring the TOO logo. Let us know if you'd like something specific you don't see 👍https://teespring.com/stores/tesla-owners-online-store
  • It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

B.Silva

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I hadn’t been having this issue but after upgrading to 8.5 last night, I do now - the backup screen blacked temporarily twice today.

MacInfoSys

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I was getting black screen constantly started on 5.15 then it got a little better on 8.3 and for a short while I thought it was resolved on 8.5 which is what I am currently on. Well it's still there but the issue does not happen anywhere close to how often it did before. I would say 10% of the time compared to 80-90% before. But it is still there and still annoying and at times not safe. Sending another bug report on this again. :-(

HCD3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I’m on 8.3 backup cam blank for 10 seconds at which point I’m already in drive. PITA.

m3_4_wifey

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So I put the Model 3 in reverse and the backup camera takes roughly 7 seconds to go from a black screen to showing the video feed. I say 7 seconds because it probably feels like 20 seconds and in reality is much shorter. The video feed used to show up as soon as you were in reverse and we've gone through over 3 firmware updates and still have the issue. I don't notice a bad video feed once it does switch over, so it seems like an odd failure that's somewhere between software and hardware. Thoughts or experiences before I call Tesla?

lance.bailey

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm seeing the same thing now since the last update (i'm on 8.5 3aaa23d) but the delay is more like 2 or 3 seconds. I'm aware of it, but not annoyed by it. Yet.

Last edited:

Jay79

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've experienced this at least a few months ago and every time a new update happens it appears to have fixed the bug but it starts acting up again shortly there after

DarkNRG

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Me too (we need to set up a poll for this). No backup camera happened to me twice this weekend. I also got a cruise control not available error. Perhaps that was because I had inactive cameras. I wish I had thought about blind spot warnings too. I don't know if that was working or not.

Craig Bennett

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Started happening to me after moving from 15.5 to 8.5 - usually 3 or 4 seconds when it does happen.

Frequency of occurrence seems to increase until performing a reboot and then it improves for a while.

Gatica

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I personally have had this issue since update 2019.5.15 and still continues with 2019.8.5, each time it happens I send a bug report to Tesla. It is defiantly annoying and I hope that it gets fixed soon.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My back up camera also goes black occasionally. But what I find to be worse is my entire screen goes black. Sometimes preceded by a loud buzz sound and sometimes just goes black without noise. I have reported to to Tesla and they say a software fix will correct the problem but I don't know when the fix will come.