Backup Camera Rain Drops

WonkoTheSane

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
What have people done about rain droplets forming on their backup camera? I have quickly become reliant upon the camera and during rain I can't see anything out of it. Not sure this is the right forum for this question.

Wooloomooloo

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yes I have seen this issue, it's a pain. In my last car (VW GTI) the camera was always hidden behind the latch and only came out when you actually backed up. On the M3 it's always exposed and a large droplet tends to form there.

I try and wipe it if I'm just getting to the car, but otherwise I'm not sure what else to do.

WonkoTheSane

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The problem may be on the camera itself and the trunk edge above it. I know the owner's manual says to not use any cleaners on it. Not sure if RainX applies.

kort677

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
What have people done about rain droplets forming on their backup camera? I have quickly become reliant upon the camera and during rain I can't see anything out of it. Not sure this is the right forum for this question.
I have never had a problem with rain drops on that camera that needed to be addressed, sure every once in awhile you might see a distortion from a drop but it is a rare occurrence and I can still discern what I need to see while backing.

iChris93

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have never had a problem with rain drops on that camera that needed to be addressed, sure every once in awhile you might see a distortion from a drop but it is a rare occurrence and I can still discern what I need to see while backing.
I've never had a problem with rain drops either, but I do have a problem that results from the rain drops. When the water is dirty, which happens in winter in states with seasons ;), the water will leave behind a nice dirty film over the rear camera.

kort677

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've never had a problem with rain drops either, but I do have a problem that results from the rain drops. When the water is dirty, which happens in winter in states with seasons ;), the water will leave behind a nice dirty film over the rear camera.
I still never encountered any sort of issues like that but may I offer a simple fix? when entering the car, walk to the rear with a rag, paper towel or tissue and wipe the lens. problem solved

WonkoTheSane

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@kort677 I can and have cleaned the camera when getting into the car, but if it is raining while driving and I want to back into a spot (or my garage) the only option is to get out and clean it. Viewing though the camera at those times is impossible. I will take a picture next time it happens.

Sandy

One obsession to the next
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I think that the word rainx should be purged from the minds of any model3 owner
Hey Mike. I know you had some chattering wipers but I’ve had zero issues with original RainX. I don’t and won’t use their washer fluid. When I got the car back from Fabian in July I applied the original RainX (clear liquid, small bottle with fold up spout) on all the exterior glass including the roof. Dries to a light haze, wipe with a wet cloth and buff. Works as it has on other cars. No wiper chatter, skipping or noise at all. No apparent affect on the auto wipers either which I always leave on around town. Wiper use becomes optional on the highway.
Washed it outside today and used my EGO battery leaf blower (18650 cells) to blow the water off. Works amazingly well with the Feynlab Ceramic and RainX.

TheMagician

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've been wanting to try wiping a little Rain-X on the camera. I think that would help.
Not sure if this is the case or not but be careful with camera lenses if they’re made of plastic. Regular rain x can degrade plastic, you need to use their other product. Same thing applies to the headlights.

Sandy

One obsession to the next
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Not sure if this is the case or not but be careful with camera lenses if they’re made of plastic. Regular rain x can degrade plastic, you need to use their other product. Same thing applies to the headlights.

The original RainX is for glass only. It will damage some plastics/acrylics. My riding buddy tried it on his Harley’s acrylic windscreen and it crazed it badly. Had to be replaced.
It can be used on the glass windshield over the front cameras and on the glass B pillar over the side cameras but I wouldn’t personally use it on the side marker camera lenses or the backup camera lens as I don’t know if these are glass.

iChris93

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The original RainX is for glass only. It will damage some plastics/acrylics. My riding buddy tried it on his Harley’s acrylic windscreen and it crazed it badly. Had to be replaced.
It can be used on the glass windshield over the front cameras and on the glass B pillar over the side cameras but I wouldn’t personally use it on the side marker camera lenses or the backup camera lens as I don’t know if these are glass.
Is the B pillar cover glass?

BobbyM3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Like this?
@kort677 I can and have cleaned the camera when getting into the car, but if it is raining while driving and I want to back into a spot (or my garage) the only option is to get out and clean it. Viewing though the camera at those times is impossible. I will take a picture next time it happens.