Back door to VIN number?

Rob Washington

Country
Country
A friend showed me that his referral code number is the same as his first Tesla VIN (Model S). Any Model 3 first time Tesla Owners notice this for their referral code?

Or anyone out there with their first Tesla being the Model 3 having a VIN-referral code mismatch?

Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
A friend showed me that his referral code number is the same as his first Tesla VIN (Model S). Any Model 3 first time Tesla Owners notice this for their referral code?
Or anyone out there with their first Tesla being the Model 3 having a VIN-referral code mismatch?
First-time Tesla owner here. Based on my referral code, my VIN would be 39334, but that is a single-motor VIN, whereas I ordered AWD. So, at least in my case, my referral code will not match my VIN.

When did your friend buy his Model S? My parents were early Model S owners (~February 2013), and I've asked them whether the number on their referral code matched their VIN, because at a glance, it seems feasible that they could be the same.

(EDIT: Parents have confirmed that their VIN and referral code do not match.)

I'm wondering whether it's possible that there used to be a correlation between VIN and referral code, but that is no longer the case... If it was never the case, then your friend has encountered a truly astounding coincidence!

Last edited:

Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The only cheat I've heard of—beyond plumbing the web API—is to put an HPWC in your shopping cart and then looking to see if there's a VIN in the pulldown in the shopping cart.
Alas, they closed off the shopping cart trick a few months ago. The "owner's manual trick" and "EncodedVin" trick also went the way of the dodo last week. Tried messing around in the developer console last night after I advanced to the "awaiting ISA contact" phase, but couldn't find anything promising.

Rob Washington

Country
Country
First-time Tesla owner here. Based on my referral code, my VIN would be 39334, but that is a single-motor VIN, whereas I ordered AWD. So, at least in my case, my referral code will not match my VIN.

When did your friend buy his Model S? My parents were early Model S owners (~February 2013), and I've asked them whether the number on their referral code matched their VIN, because at a glance, it seems feasible that they could be the same.

(EDIT: Parents have confirmed that their VIN and referral code do not match.)

I'm wondering whether it's possible that there used to be a correlation between VIN and referral code, but that is no longer the case... If it was never the case, then your friend has encountered a truly astounding coincidence!
His first MS was a 2015. Just a strange coincidence.