Autopilot Steering Wheel Sensor?

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

wings

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Interesting find... I drive long open stretches across Wyoming in AutoPilot. The nagging get irritating. Experimenting I found, simply turning the volume control on the steering wheel up or down a notch does it. . That takes care of it, easy and fast.

FRC

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Interesting find... I drive long open stretches across Wyoming in AutoPilot. The nagging get irritating. Experimenting I found, simply turning the volume control on the steering wheel up or down a notch does it. . That takes care of it, easy and fast.
Move anything on the steering wheel will do it. But, I also use your method and like it best. One notch up this time, one notch down next.

Dan Detweiler

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Yes, they have made numerous ways to satisfy the nags and each user can do what feels best to them. For me just resting my hand so there is a bit of torque on the wheel eliminates the nags in total. That way I don't have to be as aware of the screen and can focus my attention outside the car. To each his/her own.

Dan

HappyDad

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I have to say the need to assert slight 'force' to wheel so car knows you are holding the wheel takes away the pure joy of autopilot for me. Resting hand right on top of the wheel doesn't cut it as it is a straight down force with no rotational torque so car doesn't know your hand is on the wheel.

I am also at times uncomfortable of holding one side of the wheel or apply uneven force so car can sense rotational torque. My slight fear (little voice in my head) of one sided rotational torque is that in case the 'torque' high enough to disengage autopilot, or that autopilot disengages for other reasons, that my car would veer to the side (of the applied torque hand) and hit something if I am not quick enough to counter. E.g. big semi on my right, while my right hand is on wheel applying slight torque, fear is autopilot disengages and my car pulls to the right with no much margin of error to semi. Just me or anyone else shares this fear?

Dan Detweiler

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
I have to say the need to assert slight 'force' to wheel so car knows you are holding the wheel takes away the pure joy of autopilot for me. Resting hand right on top of the wheel doesn't cut it as it is a straight down force with no rotational torque so car doesn't know your hand is on the wheel.

I am also at times uncomfortable of holding one side of the wheel or apply uneven force so car can sense rotational torque. My slight fear (little voice in my head) of one sided rotational torque is that in case the 'torque' high enough to disengage autopilot, or that autopilot disengages for other reasons, that my car would veer to the side (of the applied torque hand) and hit something if I am not quick enough to counter. E.g. big semi on my right, while my right hand is on wheel applying slight torque, fear is autopilot disengages and my car pulls to the right with no much margin of error to semi. Just me or anyone else shares this fear?
Worried a little at first resting my hand on the side of the wheel. Then I purposely disengaged autosteer by rotating the wheel. I takes A LOT of force to disengage that way! Not concerned about it any more. If I get into a situation that makes me nervous, like passing a semi, etc. I just use that as an opportunity to switch hands, thus taking the torque off the wheel for the few seconds it takes to get by. Not long enough to create a nag.

Dan

nonStopSwagger

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I've had my car since September, but wish I had the joy of owning it sooner, before the constant nag update. Those earlier reports of AP1 cars going for almost an hour without a nag were a thing of beauty.