Autopilot Speed Limit

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

FrancoisP

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
From the Model 3 Owner's Guide, in the Speed Assist section (page 82):
"The speed limit is determined automatically based on detected traffic signs and GPS data. "

In my area around Cleveland (OH) I am finding that the speed limits showing by on the display are often incorrect. I've been paying attention and there are clearly visible traffic signs on many the roads with speed limit inaccuracies. I don't think Speed Assist reads the traffic signs because I would think that over time the inaccuracies would go away.

This brings me to a seconds point: I think it would be helpful to add one more choice to the "relative" and "absolute" options in the Autopilot Speed Limit menu. I'd like to have the option to set the speed based on the current speed of the car. This would be similar to a standard intelligent cruise control. I understand that Speed Assist tries to be helpful, however due to the number of inaccuracies it's forcing me to constantly adjust the speed down.

Any thoughts on this?

Last edited:

Johnm6875

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
From the Model 3 Owner's Guide, in the Speed Assist section (page 82):
"The speed limit is determined automatically based on detected traffic signs and GPS data. "

In my area around Cleveland (OH) I am finding that the speed limits showing by on the display are often incorrect. I've been paying attention and there are clearly visible traffic signs on many the roads with speed limit inaccuracies. I don't think Speed Assist reads the traffic signs because I would think that over time the inaccuracies would go away.

I had hoped the newest update would give more accurate speed limits for my area (Auburn, CA) but the same incorrect limits are still there, even though the signs and limits haven't changed in years. Who do we notify?

FrancoisP

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I had hoped the newest update would give more accurate speed limits for my area (Auburn, CA) but the same incorrect limits are still there, even though the signs and limits haven't changed in years. Who do we notify?
I've asked the same question to Tesla Support and I was told there is no mechanism to report the inaccurate or missing speed limits. Hopefully Tesla will soon start using the speed limit signs as it states in the owner's manual. Yesterday I was driving in a 25 mph zone and the car was showing 55 mph!

RolfS

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Absolutely correct. I see it the same way. You're going 65 in a 65, then you engage AP. Since you have + 13 set in the limits, it jumps to 78... All I wanted was 65:)
Set your offset to +0, then drive the speed you want to set it to, then set it and it will hold that speed. At least mine works that way.

Love

Tesla Quad Cities
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I've asked the same question to Tesla Support and I was told there is no mechanism to report the inaccurate or missing speed limits. Hopefully Tesla will soon start using the speed limit signs as it states in the owner's manual. Yesterday I was driving in a 25 mph zone and the car was showing 55 mph!
I just keep using the right scroll wheel "bug report" and saying what the correct speed limit is. Probably falls on deaf ears but makes me feel better about myself!
There's a road near me that is 45mph and with the new maps, for WHATEVER reason, our cars now think it's 25. We drive this road EVERY day for about 2 miles each way to/from work, to/from anywhere in town so the tiny annoyance that it is is starting to build up over time.
They definitely need a way to report inaccurate speed limits if bug report is not the correct way.

RolfS

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
That workaround is okay if (A) the speed limit data is always right, which it isn't, and (B) you never want to go below the speed limit.
True. If you want to go slower than the indicated speed limit you will have to use the right thumb switch to slow down after you set it. But if you go faster than the posted speed the setting will hold. Also just pushing on the posted speed sigh will set cruise speed to the indicated speed.

FrancoisP

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Tesla should simply give us the extra menu option so that whatever the speed of the car is, that becomes the set speed limit. That should be easy to implement and if people don't like it then they don't have to use it. To me this is an obvious omission, but I realize that Tesla engineers are smart, so I'd like to understand why they decided not to include it.

jsmay311

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
To me this is an obvious omission, but I realize that Tesla engineers are smart, so I'd like to understand why they decided not to include it.
I've asked myself this question so many times about so many different design decisions in the Model 3 that I'm now seriously doubting the premise. :p

Honestly tho, in fairness to the engineers, I strongly suspect Elon is personally to blame for most of the things I don't like about my car. I'm totally serious about that.

kort677

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Tesla should simply give us the extra menu option so that whatever the speed of the car is, that becomes the set speed limit. That should be easy to implement and if people don't like it then they don't have to use it. To me this is an obvious omission, but I realize that Tesla engineers are smart, so I'd like to understand why they decided not to include it.
you can already do that, set the offset to zero and the car when you engage the tacc/ap the car will go at that speed that you're traveling at

DR61

Country
Country
you can already do that, set the offset to zero and the car when you engage the tacc/ap the car will go at that speed that you're traveling at
Wrong: if you are going below what the car thinks is the speed limit, the car will accelerate to that limit if offset is zero. Also the car will not let you set a negative offset.

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
When on AP set at the 55 speed limit, and headed into town the speed limit signs step down to 45 then 35 then 25. But the vehicle slows to 50 then 40 then 30...... I have it set to a 0 offset but I can’t figure out why it doesn’t slow to the posted speed limit...... Bueller??

ADK46

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I think part of Tesla's design decisions involves their goal of Full Self-Driving. Eventually, the car will have to follow speed limits on its own. Sitting in cubicles in front of computer screens, it seems easy to implement the software now, in advance, so they have. That's their strategy. That's Musk's way.

But they are too dedicated to this strategy, IMHO. Tesla must know that the mapping data is not reliable enough, that they'll be sending cars controlled by their software down Main Street at 55 mph, hoping we will catch the error. They must think that implementing the system anyway will somehow force rapid improvement. Someone within Tesla even told their tech writers that the car reads speed limit signs, hoping that this would speed that capability along.

Can you imagine buying a toaster that included instructions asserting that it would automatically detect different types of bread, when it does no such thing? A Tesla toaster would include the warning "Beta. It is the operator's responsibility to keep a close watch on their bread".

Tesla's customers will become more conventional over time - less of the forgiving early-adopter-fanboy type. Does your grandmother know what "beta" means? Tesla needs to manage this transition. Musk: "I hate to say this, but we have to become more mature as we manufacture cars for the masses. We're going to phase out "beta" stuff by the end of 2019."

FrancoisP

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
When on AP set at the 55 speed limit, and headed into town the speed limit signs step down to 45 then 35 then 25. But the vehicle slows to 50 then 40 then 30...... I have it set to a 0 offset but I can’t figure out why it doesn’t slow to the posted speed limit...... Bueller??
Based on my experience I do not believe the car uses posted speed limits: it probably uses a GPS-based database that contains obsolete or incorrect speed limits. What you described happens to me all the time.

Last edited:

Jay Jay

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
This is an incredibly annoying flaw that they need to fix. I've talked with Tesla and reported it and the guy told me to keep filing bug reports when I'm in the car and it happens. So, I do. Everyone else should too.

Jay Jay

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
What's your point kort? It's an issue in the beta, they need to fix it, and I'll report it every time it happens until they do.

Also, this isn't something that should be an issue even in the beta. Many GPS units and many phones are fully capable of knowing the speed limit of the road you're on. And I expect my Tesla alien technology machine to be able to do this most simple of things.

kort677

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
What's your point kort? It's an issue in the beta, they need to fix it, and I'll report it every time it happens until they do.
the point is that the technology is NOT perfected, wonky things can and will happen.
just putting this out there "The definition of the word insanity could be doing the same thing and expecting a different result'