AutoPilot or Performance

RoccoX

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hey all, been lurking hear for a while and getting ready to put in a reservation shortly. I have a self imposed spending limit of 65k on this, and that would get me a fully loaded dual motor minus full self driving, but now with the price drop of the performance model, I am debating if I can live without autopilot and instead opt for the added power. Having always had quick cars, but never having autopilot I am struggling with this. Any opinions on this?

marusan

Country
Country
Based on what I've seen from my coworkers, you'll enjoy autopilot more. That said, you can't upgrade to the performance model later (whereas you can change your mind about EAP for the low-low price of an extra $1K).

BTW, one coworker has a Model S 90D (4.2s 0-60). It's plenty quick, enough to make the back-seat passengers gasp. The AWD is only 0.3s slower.

Country
Country
Hey all, been lurking hear for a while and getting ready to put in a reservation shortly. I have a self imposed spending limit of 65k on this, and that would get me a fully loaded dual motor minus full self driving, but now with the price drop of the performance model, I am debating if I can live without autopilot and instead opt for the added power. Having always had quick cars, but never having autopilot I am struggling with this. Any opinions on this?

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Let's start here -- do you go on road trips and what kind of daily commute do you have? 95% of my driving is my daily commute which is 30-35 miles each direction is a decent amount of traffic. Given that autopilot is worth infinitely more than performance to me.

So what's your scenario?

Stacks

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I’m in a similar situation and have been going back and forth. I’ve even considered dropping the $1.5k color and go with black.

It’s really, really hard for me to justify $11k for one second.

RoccoX

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks everyone. My commute is currently only 8 miles but in the next year will change and could be anywhere from 3 miles to 50 miles in traffic each way. Road trips are a few times a year but we usually go with 6 people so we would take my wife’s suv for those. Guessing my answer then is wait and see what happens to my commute, I should know in 6 weeks or so. Also hoping the dual motor is underrated at 4.5, if it is .4 or so quicker then rates like the rwd one is then that might also swing my decision.

Very happy I found you all, this forum is a great resource, thanks again!

Ed Woodrick

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If you haven't driven an electric before, then you may be surprised at the base model. It's got lots of get up and go.

If you spend your time on the track, the AWD Performance is what you want. If you spend your time on the streets, than the EAP is what you want. Just the Adaptive Cruise Control makes any trip a lot better.

pacific dunes

Country
Country
knowing that the Model 3 LR is faster than my boxster, I have to think you may not miss the Performance upgrade since there is absolutely no lag to speak of. However, if you plan on drag races on the street you may need the Performance upgrade.

xnappo

Country
Country
Honestly, my last two cars were a Nissan 300ZX twin turbo and a Infiniti G35 coupe V6. My LR blows them both out of the water.

I can't imagine EVER flooring the thing for a practical reason.

So..

If you drive in any traffic at all, I would go to autopilot (really for the TACC personally, auto steer on my commute isn't really worth much).

The only reason to get performance is for:
- Fun
- Track

xnappo

RoccoX

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
thanks for that response xnappo, one of my favorite cars ever are the 300z twin turbos, and my wife had a g35x sedan, so that is pushing me towards autopilot

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I never thought I will say this, but Autopilot will probably be more usefull. However, since you mentioned you always owned fast cars, the LR 3 is faster than most cars on the road (I have to trust the other members' opinion), I still don't know if from a stand still it is electronically limited (for no known reason). My hope is the AWD and P will be totally unleashed :)
My current car is a 16 years old Honda Civic SI, not exactly fast or sportly tuned, so the LR 3 will be a huge difference.

Thunder7ga

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Let's start here -- do you go on road trips and what kind of daily commute do you have? 95% of my driving is my daily commute which is 30-35 miles each direction is a decent amount of traffic. Given that autopilot is worth infinitely more than performance to me.

So what's your scenario?
Agree 100%. My commute is 65 miles one way. I am getting this car to help me when in heavy traffic thru ATL highways. Performance would be a waste for me. Plus this car has plenty of giddy up already.

JMON

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thankfully I have a simple 15min commute on side roads to work. Therefore I chose Performance over Autopilot. If I had a 60-90 min commute to Toronto like a lot of people do (been there done that:eek:) I would have opted for Autopilot.

Later when Autopilot and FSD mature to the point where regulatory approval allows for Lvl 4 self driving I'll buy both & sell our 2nd vehicle (2014 Jeep Cherokee) and share the 3 between my wife and I.

outie

Country
Country
I already have a X100D w/ EAP so longer trips we will take that car. I just ordered the Model 3P last night and it’s just going to be our secondary vehicle replacing a BMW ice when my wife and I need to take our kids to different places. I opted for the performance package and left out EAP. I figured if anything I can always get the EAP later on, or even before delivery to keep the lower price if they make significant progress between now and then.

Silvermagic3

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I was in a similar situation, but at a lower price point. My Pre-tax limit was $55K (conclusion of negotiations with wife) which meant I could either get AutoPilot or Dual Motor. I do a fair amount of road trips and would differently use AP, but I wanted the benefits from having the 2nd motor (better regenerative breaking, more performance, better traction) and it really came down to two things: (1) DM was $1K cheaper so I could get the color I wanted (multi-coat red) and stay under budget, (2) I can always add AP later (however for $1K more).

zosoisnotaword

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'd go performance without question. I didn't purchase EAP, but I had a 100D loaner for a week with autopilot, and I was disappointed. I think it would do great in heavy traffic, but it's more of an annoyance everywhere else for my driving style. In my opinion, if you're wanting performance because you like to go fast, you won't enjoy using EAP in most situations. I have a 23 mile commute with about 8 miles of highway, and I also got to test it on the interstate on the 3.5 hour drive home from the service center.

Auto lane change failed 4 out of about 15 times I tried it - either wouldn't initiate or violently jerked back into the original lane halfway over for no apparent reason - and if you do want to change lanes to pass someone, you have to do it well in advance so TACC doesn't slow you down first. You're not going to have room to do that most of the time in mild traffic. I found myself deactivating EAP every time I came up on another car so that I could change lanes normally. For the record, I only ever tried to use auto lane change on straight road in very light traffic, and no, there were no cars in my blind spot.

Another issue I had a couple times on the highway was when an on-ramp lane merged with the right lane while I was in the right lane. When the divider lines end and the lanes merge into one large lane, EAP wanted to get centered ASAP and aggressively moved to the middle of the new lane markers. Not comfortable. It was an interesting way to wake up the girlfriend. She was furious that I kept using it. I'd get daggers whenever she heard the reactivate beep, but at least I got some laughs out of it.

There's also a couple of driving preferences that I can't (and shouldn't) be able to do with EAP. For example, when I'm passing a large truck, I prefer to get closer to the left hash to give them more room and avoid their debris. I know (or think I know) that EAP would avoid the truck if it started to creep over into my lane, but I'd prefer to have the gap to begin with.

So for me it was more of an inconvenience than a useful feature to have to enable/disable/enable, and I ended my trial run a couple days into the week. I do typically drive +10 to +15 of the speed limit, so admittedly that factored heavily in my lack of satisfaction with it, but I'm happy with my decision to forego EAP.

Teslar

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I'd go performance without question. I didn't purchase EAP, but I had a 100D loaner for a week with autopilot, and I was disappointed.....
BMW or Mercedes still charge like $2000 for a radar cruise control. IMO with over the air updates for EAP has the potential to be likable by anyone
I personally would take the TACC just for the convenience of using it in stop and go traffic.

I'm debating a similar question AWD or AWD-P. its ~10k more for the performance. I'm not considering taking out the EAP.

sc123

Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
I was in a similar situation, but at a lower price point. My Pre-tax limit was $55K (conclusion of negotiations with wife) which meant I could either get AutoPilot or Dual Motor.
Hmmm... I'd go for performance now, then when TSLA allows you to do a 30-day free EAP trial in the car let your wife drive it on a long trip ... and then she'll be convinced to let you add EAP at that point! ;-)

Silvermagic3

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hmmm... I'd go for performance now, then when TSLA allows you to do a 30-day free EAP trial in the car let your wife drive it on a long trip ... and then she'll be convinced to let you add EAP at that point! ;-)
Thats is exactly my plan ;)