Official Autopilot OFFICIAL THREAD

How much do you trust Autopilot?

• I didn't purchase it.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I don't trust it at all and have decided not to use it.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I use it, but I constantly worry it will do something unexpected.

Votes: 39 26.5%
  • I'm comfortable with it and use it regularly, but I wouldn't use it with kids in the car.

Votes: 9 6.1%
  • I'm comfortable with it and use it regularly, even with the kids in the car.

Votes: 89 60.5%

• Total voters
didn't say it would be included for free... paid or not, I still think 'vintage' owners will look down on Model 3 owners using the SC network.
Maybe in North America, where the number of Teslas on the road will increase dramatically. However, in Australia Tesla owners will still be a close knit circle. They are still in the pioneer stage. The only completed link is between Melbourne and Sydney for SC. Sydney to Brisbane was due to be completed by the end of this year and that is not going to happen. There is "one location" operational outside Port MacQuarie. A long way to go.

Someone is going to drive a Tesla from Perth to Brisbane (a distance of Vancouver to Toronto) with only a quarter of the distance covered by SC. This is a major planning and logistic, especially through the Nullabor.

Country
Country
I like the theory regarding the financing of their cars and how that's a stagnant for-profit system that needs to shaken up just like the dealership model. It seems a bit early for the model Y but the crossover SUV is one of the most popular segments of the US car market and one of the more profitable. I'd guess there is internal pressure to get that to market by 2018

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Tesla might be announcing they are starting their own finance company. Although I believe Autopilot 2.0 would be the more likely.
Does anyone know what time eastern the presentation starts? Will it be streamed on the Tesla website?

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
No specific time has been given - with the lack of notice, I would not be surprised if it is a blog post and/or twitter comment made at some time, and not a conference call. I would expect it to be after the NYSE closes though

Rick59

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
No specific time has been given - with the lack of notice, I would not be surprised if it is a blog post and/or twitter comment made at some time, and not a conference call. I would expect it to be after the NYSE closes though
Obviously, with the lack of pre-announcement hoopla, it's not a new car, bus or semi.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
One thing I noticed. Elon's tweet mentions a "Product" launch. Autopilot 2.0 is not a product. It's a subsystem of a product. The word "Product" suggests something complete in itself.
The new Model S and X with Autopilot 2.0. ;)

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If anyone is looking for unexpected speculations between now and when Tesla announces whatever the new product is... check out the "Crash Course In Awesome" podcast on Nikola Tesla (from 2013).
Hearing the podcast guys talk thru Tesla's inventions and views, it's no surprise this car company ended up being named Tesla. Musk could be his reincarnate.

(spoiler alert: worked 21hrs/day, communications with Mars was mentioned, was really an alien, etc)

BigBri

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Seems pretty much set in stone unless Elon is playing with his words a bit but seems like the part2 of the reveal is tonight!

Dan Detweiler

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
So is this for real? I sure hope so because I would much rather see the production Model 3 than two overgrown infants throwing insults at each other on stage asking for my vote!

I don't think anyone saw this coming this soon if it ends up being what this says it's going to be.

TrevP

TOO Founder / Administrator
Founder
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Just so everyone knows, we have implemented LIVE CHAT feature on the home page of the website. I will make it live about 20 minutes prior to the start of the announcement so that members can participate.

Unless I get access to the press call to report on what details are being revealed we will have to wait for the blog post to go live on Tesla.com It's also important to know that the event details may very well be under embargo until the end of the call so I ask for everyone to be patient.

I'm sure Tesla will make this one worth waiting for.... :)

Dan Detweiler

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Man I hope this really is what it appears to be.

I mentioned months ago that I thought Tesla was a lot further along with Model 3 development than they were letting on. Apparently they were WAY more ahead of the game than I thought!

Dan