Autopilot Centering between Lane and Exit Ramp

• Our merch store is back! Check out our line of quality apparel and accessories featuring the TOO logo. Let us know if you'd like something specific you don't see 👍https://teespring.com/stores/tesla-owners-online-store
  • It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

ZaelFaroe

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Just got my Model 3 yesterday! Super fun to drive. Last night I drive down I93 to Boston and noticed that when the exit ramp diverges without a lane marker, or when an entrance ramp comes on without a lane marker the car tries to center between the lane and the ramp. No a big problem for entrance ramps (though other drivers probably wonder what I'm doing), but feels very unsafe for the exit ramps.

Anybody else experienced this?

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Just got my Model 3 yesterday! Super fun to drive. Last night I drive down I93 to Boston and noticed that when the exit ramp diverges without a lane marker, or when an entrance ramp comes on without a lane marker the car tries to center between the lane and the ramp. No a big problem for entrance ramps (though other drivers probably wonder what I'm doing), but feels very unsafe for the exit ramps.

Yeah it’s not yet designed to handle that situation. In future updates you should see autopilot improve and make a commitment to one side as a lane widens.

changsteer

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

I experienced the same behavior and kind of being used to it now. :)

ig0p0g0

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
For sure, and I think the was the cause of the most notorious accident.

For those near the mother ship, going from 92 to 880N is a pretty sketchy experience every time. But I always let it try, to see if there is any improvement. Probably scares those behind me to watch me head for the barrels!

My guess, the camera has a hard time seeing the point head on, the perspective probably makes it look like just that, a point. I'm also wondering ad reflectors mess it up...that could explain the penchant for emergency vehicles.