auto pilot buddy

Auto pilot buddy, do I end up purchasing it?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Still trying to work on my wife to pave the way for me to get EAP, but I would never get that device.

That would guarantee that I wouldn't pay attention to the road and from a liability standpoint, you have an accident with EAP enabled and have a device like that you better believe you're in for a fight collecting your insurance money.

3V Pilot

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
For $19.99 yes......for $199.99:eek::(:mad: well, where is the sad face crying emoji when you need one, that is just ridiculous! I can think of a half a dozen ways to do the same thing for much cheaper. Yes the liability is there but you are the one responsible for what the car does whether Autopilot is engaged or not. If your goal is to put your hands on the steering wheel less but still pay attention like you are actually driving a car....well....because you are, then do what you need to make the car work the way you want it to.

BobLoblaw

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If you use that device and wind up hurting someone I imagine you would be charged both in civil and criminal courts with negligence.

Until the regulations come around I wouldn’t do it.

Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
Attn Admin this post is In response to the comments above. It's not spam as we do not currently sell Model 3 units (only S and X).
When Tesla released Version 7.0 w/ Autosteer you could drive 30 mins between check-ins. I know because my team set the LA to NYC autonomous record in Oct 2016. Deena and I also set the (dreaded) Double Transcontinental Record LA-NYC-LA in 6 days 6 hours and 22 mins. We used an early prototype of this device to achieve this.
Over time Tesla has sent "updates" that reduced it down to 3 minutes between check-ins. I use the Autopilot Buddy daily; I've put 75,000 miles of testing into development; on the device.
We are slammed with orders since the release.... everyone came in on Sunday to help get orders packed and ready for today's shipments.
In regards to the price, anyone that is in manufacturing in California, USA knows the cost and overhead for Materials, Employees, Lease, Legal, workman's Compensation, Patents, Trademarks, webmaster, Engineers, resins, etc. We could make it cheaper in China but I refuse to send the production overseas. Knowing the material costs without the overhead.... I nearly spit my coffee back into the cup when I hear people saying it's worth $19. Seriously, if you can manufacture these for $19 contact us; we have positions available. We invested in engineering time to create over 30 prototypes before having the current version. Our fitment is organic and looks like it's stock. Our resins can withstand up to 8000psi. The two-piece design requires no tools to install or remove. It's easily removable with one hand.

Like any fledgling business, it will be some time before we are in the black. With all that said..... If you order one and don't like it, return it in 14 days for a refund of the purchase price. No questions asked.

Happy Holidays
Autopilot Buddy Team

Last edited:

3V Pilot

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Attn Admin this post is In response to the comments above. It's not spam as we do not currently sell Model 3 units (only S and X).
When Tesla released Version 7.0 w/ Autosteer you could drive 30 mins between check-ins. I know because my team set the LA to NYC autonomous record in Oct 2016. Deena and I also set the (dreaded) Double Transcontinental Record LA-NYC-LA in 6 days 6 hours and 22 mins. We used an early prototype of this device to achieve this.
Over time Tesla has sent "updates" that reduced it down to 3 minutes between check-ins. I use the Autopilot Buddy daily; I've put 75,000 miles of testing into development; on the device.
We are slammed with orders since the release.... everyone came in on Sunday to help get orders packed and ready for today's shipments.
In regards to the price, anyone that is in manufacturing in California, USA knows the cost and overhead for Materials, Employees, Lease, Legal, workman's Compensation, Patents, Trademarks, webmaster, Engineers, resins, etc. We could make it cheaper in China but I refuse to send the production overseas. Knowing the material costs without the overhead.... I nearly spit my coffee back into the cup when I hear people saying it's worth $19. Seriously, if you can manufacture these for $19 contact us; we have positions available. We invested in engineering time to create over 30 prototypes before having the current version. Our fitment is organic and looks like it's stock. Our resins can withstand up to 8000psi. The two-piece design requires no tools to install or remove. It's easily removable with one hand.

Like any fledgling business, it will be some time before we are in the black. With all that said..... If you order one and don't like it, return it in 14 days for a refund of the purchase price. No questions asked.

Happy Holidays
Autopilot Buddy Team
Carl I applaud your conviction for making a quality product in the U.S. and supporting our economy instead of China. I didn't mean any disrespect and I truly hope your business does great and sells lots of well made products. The reality of the Model 3 though is that it cost half of previous Tesla products and at that many people are stretching every bit of what they can afford to make it a reality. The "new" Tesla customer base is not going to have the same luxury of disposable income that previous owners have enjoyed. For those that want to achieve the same result but don't have a couple hundred dollars to spare, well, I'd say a little industrial velcro and small lead weight behind a wheel spoke would do it. The advantage here is it's out of sight, easy to adjust the amount of weight to find the perfect amount, and can be removed easily with one hand as well. I'd love to have something engineered and made to fit perfectly and I can understand that you have to make up your cost but for me the price is just way more than I'd spend personally. Hopefully you will get some new business from Model 3 owners but I think many will not be willing to spend like S or X owners do. Just my 2cents worth......

Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
Our goal is to bring the construction costs down on the Autopilot Buddy for the Model 3. Now that we've invested in the machinery to produce them, we should be able to bring a model 3 version to market in 2018 that will be a lower price point.
The Autopilot Buddy Team

2170pwr

Country
Country
No offense but [moderator edit of potentially offensive statement]

I'm usually a huge supporter of small businesses and would never "shoot down" someones product on a forum; but I spend my days (and often nights) caring for children injured in car accidents and seeing a product like this mentioned on a forum I love just made my blood boil.

Please everyone, take care of your safety and the safety of others first.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
seeing a product like this mentioned on a forum I love just made my blood boil.
I understand that a device such as this has the potential to be abused. But if the user continues to pay attention to their environment, then it can be argued that keeping hands lightly on the wheel every 3 minutes does not in itself contribute to safety.

This is not an endorsement of the product. But I don't think it's reasonable to consider it a baby-killing contraption.

2170pwr

Country
Country
it can be argued that keeping hands lightly on the wheel every 3 minutes does not in itself contribute to safety.

This is not an endorsement of the product. But I don't think it's reasonable to consider it a baby-killing contraption.
I didn't mean it imply that this product was a "baby killing contraption" but I (and obviously Tesla) disagree with you regarding this feature not contributing to safety. Distracted driving is the leading cause of auto accidents in the United States (followed by drunk driving and speeding) and Tesla has included this feature in an attempt to remind people to focus on driving, even when autopilot is engaged. I think it is very responsible of them to include this feature, until autopilot has improved, and irresponsible of those that attempt to circumvent it.

Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
How do you feel about the 10 million cars, trucks and semi's currently on the road with cruise control? Those vehicles have no time limit on how long it can be used. Furthermore, they have no "lane keeping" or "auto brake" features?
Yet 10 million adults travel to and from work using cruise control with no time limits. Perhaps I'm a minority but I really don't need this nanny time restriction on my car.

The Autopilot Buddy does not affect the car's ability to self-brake or auto-steer. It simply is a tempory aid to prevent continuous (every 3 min) reminders. We totally understand that everyone's driving skills vary; We also understand that it's not for everyone.

However, for those of us that have experienced version 7.0 "autopilot", you could enjoy 30 minutes of hands-free driving without an "idiot light" reminding you incessantly. The non-stop reminders are more distracting because I have to take my eyes off the road and look down at the instrument panel for an obtuse white light. It's like having a nagging troll in the passenger seat.

When Tesla took away "true" autopilot features from owners, many looked for solutions (see youtube). This is just one that we feel works and has an ergonomic shape that doesn't impede the autopilot/driving experience. It requires no tools to install or remove. It can easily be removed with one hand. Its compact organic design stays on when turning the wheel. Autopilotbuddy.com also offers returns for 14 days and a 1-year warranty against manufacturer defects.

Made in USA with USA labor and USA materials

Twiglett

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Just to remind everyone that Tesla was essentially forced to reduce the timeout for autopilot because a bunch of idiot owners posted videos doing reckless/stupid things with autopilot.
Limitations are placed on systems like this for a reason.
So buy one now before somebody kills themselves, at which point devices such as these will be banned.
Because once someone wrecks, the first vendor they will blame is Tesla who will then blame the device manufacturer.

In cabin cameras will render this type of device invalid soon anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.