Auto Opening Trunk

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@SoFlaModel3 - Thank you so much! Best tutorial out there! I pulled the trigger and purchased the kit after watching and just finished installing by myself. It took me about 4-5 hrs, but having another set of hands could have helped a ton! FYI - they have recently updated the kit, specifically, you no longer have to tap the green wire on the liftgate with purple wire (10:50 mark on your video). They now have a plugin option for that and sent me this video explaining the update:

I did not realize this and used one of the positaps, which left me short one when I got to the can wires. I also couldn't unscrew the bolt with the red power wire in the driver-side wheel well (very hard to reach) and decided to tap the blue 12v wire as you did in the video. I had to scramble to buy something to tap the wire as my local stores did not carry the positaps, which I really like. I could have ordered more positaps online, but didn't want to wait so I picked up wire tap connectors from Home Depot.

I had no experience with automotive wiring, but this video broke it down step-by-step and I am sure anyone can tackle this project. If anyone is contemplating this install, my only recommendation is to ask a buddy to help!

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@SoFlaModel3 - Thank you so much! Best tutorial out there! I pulled the trigger and purchased the kit after watching and just finished installing by myself. It took me about 4-5 hrs, but having another set of hands could have helped a ton! FYI - they have recently updated the kit, specifically, you no longer have to tap the green wire on the liftgate with purple wire (10:50 mark on your video). They now have a plugin option for that and sent me this video explaining the update:

I did not realize this and used one of the positaps, which left me short one when I got to the can wires. I also couldn't unscrew the bolt with the red power wire in the driver-side wheel well (very hard to reach) and decided to tap the blue 12v wire as you did in the video. I had to scramble to buy something to tap the wire as my local stores did not carry the positaps, which I really like. I could have ordered more positaps online, but didn't want to wait so I picked up wire tap connectors from Home Depot.

I had no experience with automotive wiring, but this video broke it down step-by-step and I am sure anyone can tackle this project. If anyone is contemplating this install, my only recommendation is to ask a buddy to help!
I’m so glad to hear that my video was helpful for you and awesome to see Tesla Offer keeps improving the kit!!

TrevP

TOO Founder / Administrator
Founder
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have a different kit that was sent to me that has an added bonus feature. Once I do the install I’ll explain everything.