Auto Opening Trunk

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

P99GUY

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Took photos of the contents. There are a couple items I need clarification on from autoease.
I was not able to start the installation yet but will try for this weekend.

MrTofuDragon

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I installed the full TeslaOffer liftgate kit with foot sensor a little over a month ago by myself. It's been working great ever since; best mod to the car I've done.
I had written some tips on an alternate easier method for connecting to 12V power in the other thread here that should be helpful to anyone installing any of these kits (since they'll all require 12V power). Hope it helps someone else.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Tesla Offer put out a brand new video yesterday and apparently they have made some minor adjustments to the kit to make installs easier and a new recommendation for tapping 12V

MrTofuDragon

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Photos as promised.
That's 100% the exact same kit I got from TeslaOffer for $649, down to the same hole saw bit and foot sensor type. The trunk struts are exactly the same too. So it seems autoease is the better deal than teslaoffer at the moment.
I should note though that a few days after I installed my TeslaOffer one, they sent a firmware update for the control box via email, that I then installed via microsd card (there's a slot on the control box). Supposedly resolved some intermittent issues.

P99GUY

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Good to know. Now I am sure I can use the TeslaOffer instructions.
Can I hit you up for the firmware file if needed ?
Autoease assured me it was the latest firmware before shipping.
(Actually they said there was no new firmware)

Have you noticed how the struts rub the rear window seal?
Seems like they will wear quickly if the trunk is used a lot.

Also have you had to remove the struts once installed?
I have only put on 1 to plan cable paths but now I cannot get it back off.
Going to have to build a tool to pull the clips out.

MrTofuDragon

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Sure if you end up needing it, I'll be happy to share it. Although if after you complete the install it's working as intended, then it's probably best to leave it alone in that case.

My rubber ribs on the struts just barely clear my window seals. I'm talking a few millimeters. But it doesn't touch anytime during operation. I found that once both of the new struts were on, it didn't rub. I'm not sure if related, but I did have to readjust my trunk lid after the total install (by loosening the hinge bolts) so that the trunk lid gaps were even on both sides. There was another thread somewhere on that that I followed, but can't seem to find at the moment.

Edit: I did the same thing you did and installed the right strut just to try it out. It was hard to remove again, but doable since it's essentially just the same locking mechanism as the original struts... the metal lock band is just really tight on there. Try a thin flat head screwdriver, wiggle one corner under the band, and then twist. Note it's a lot easier to work with the rubber trunk tube with the original strut still installed as opposed to the thicker new one

Last edited:

P99GUY

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks. I won’t ask for the file if everything works ok.
Autoease was fairly responsive also, (presale). I guess I will find out about support if I have an issue.

The rubber boots rub horribly on mine. They almost touch the rear glass.
I will try to continue the install tomorrow.
Today’s humidity made it miserable to be outside.

MrTofuDragon

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
No problem. Best of luck with the install. Sorry to hear about the rubbing seal. Hope you'll be able to adjust things to fix that.

Hardest part for me was getting the wires through the rubber tube. At least one install I saw on youtube just poked a hole through the grommets and just ran the wires on the outside of the tube... It'll be tempting, but don't do this; it's the easy way out and your install won't look right; plus you'll have holes in the seals that will need waterproofing. Use a lot of lubrication (more than you think you need) to get the wires to go through smoothly.

P99GUY

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I am beginning to think something is different on the 2019 models.
The holes in the body panels are not the same. The holes shown in the installation videos are not there. I am going to have to drill to make openings for the cables and the struts are dangerously close to the rear glass when opening and closing.

P99GUY

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
You can actually see the window trim pulling away from the glass at the top of the strut.
Look at the white line along the edge.

Installation is stopping at this point until Autoease can get back to me about the 2019’s.

Skione65

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
You can actually see the window trim pulling away from the glass at the top of the strut.
Look at the white line along the edge.

Installation is stopping at this point until Autoease can get back to me about the 2019’s.
Not good....I would not want to have that rubbing long term....is the TeslaOffer setup doing the same thing anyone that’s done the install?

Ski

Last edited:

MrTofuDragon

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Not good....I would want to have that rubbing long term....is the TeslaOffer setup doing the same thing anyone that’s done the install?

Ski
So I installed the TeslaOffer kit and initially it wasn't rubbing, but when I just checked, yes, I guess it settled in without me noticing and it does rub against the seals now (but about only about half as much as P99GUY's photos). On mine, I think it started touching the seals after it settled in... But not enough to make it look like it would pull the seal away.

My car was built April 2018.

P99GUY

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Mine was built April 2019. Wonder if the glass is bigger or the hinges more inward.
The other side has exactly the same issue.

MrTofuDragon

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I am beginning to think something is different on the 2019 models.
The holes in the body panels are not the same. The holes shown in the installation videos are not there. I am going to have to drill to make openings for the cables and the struts are dangerously close to the rear glass when opening and closing.
I ran the LH strut cable through the air pressure vent behind the bumper on that side. The RH strut cable goes in the same hole as the rear tail light connector as recommended by TeslaOffer (and essentially gets squished a fair amount when putting the RH tail light back on). No drilling needed, but it would be a more correct way to run the RH strut cable.

EVTuning

TOO Sponsor Vendor
Country
Country
Autoease is supplying it to Teslaoffer the reason we aren't carrying it anymore is because Teslaoffer signed an exclusive with autoease. I was somewhat blindsided by this and I am working on trying to renegotiate. I didn't want to have it available for sale if I can't fulfill the orders. I have 5 kits left on the order coming in a week. If you're interested please email me directly for pricing chris@evtuning.com

EVTuning

TOO Sponsor Vendor
Country
Country
Its interesting the Autoease one seems to be different to the Teslaoffer one. The Teslaoffer has the ability for the rear proximity sensor to do it with the foot opening. I wonder if they are otherwise from the same manufacturer.
It's the exact same kit. Autoease just hasn't listed the foot sensor on their site but its an available option.