Mirrors should dim/ tint in reverse?

• Yes

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Meh, I don’t care

Votes: 5 16.1%
  • No

Votes: 25 80.6%

• Total voters

For proper diagnosis one must find forward looking and backward looking light sensors,
cover them one by one. Then shine a light in the other one. Observe dimming action.

Tinting rear window will result in less dimming. Not too much dimming.

Temporarily, dimming action can be stopped if rear sensor is covered by black tape.
Sensor window is usually located at the edge of the mirror.

tracksyde

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It seems that K-MTG and Maevra’s mirrors work the same. So this does not appear to be a malfunction.

K-MTG

Country
Country
For proper diagnosis one must find forward looking and backward looking light sensors,
cover them one by one. Then shine a light in the other one. Observe dimming action.

Tinting rear window will result in less dimming. Not too much dimming.

Temporarily, dimming action can be stopped if rear sensor is covered by black tape.
Sensor window is usually located at the edge of the mirror.
I don't see any sensors on the mirror..

But here is a pic of the wring behind the mirror:

teslarob

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Model 3 does not use any light sensor on the mirror to activate the auto dimming mirrors. It only uses the light sensor in the windshield, which would not be disturbed by the installation of your dash cam. The mirrors darken when it's dark out, and are normal when it is light out.

Petra

Country
Country
Pretty sure the mirrors in my S only dim when there's actually a light shining in them (rather, there's a light shining into whatever sensor they're using). Arbitrarily dimming just because it's nighttime, which seems like what OP is describing(?), doesn't make much sense...

3V Pilot

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
IMHO having a tinted rear window and the mirror also dimming is really what is going on here. All the cars I've had with tinted glass give the same outcome at night, hard to see behind if the mirror is also dimmed. As far as the side mirror I'm not sure because I've never had auto dimming on the side. Is there any control over the dimming in the U.I.?

K-MTG

Country
Country
IMHO having a tinted rear window and the mirror also dimming is really what is going on here. All the cars I've had with tinted glass give the same outcome at night, hard to see behind if the mirror is also dimmed. As far as the side mirror I'm not sure because I've never had auto dimming on the side. Is there any control over the dimming in the U.I.?
No UI control

Model 3 does not use any light sensor on the mirror to activate the auto dimming mirrors.
It's possible to use the windshield sensor for frontal light intensity, but there must be a rearlooking sensor as well.
Dimming is adjusted according to difference between two inputs with slightly complicated logical curves
(dimming is not on/off type, it is infinitely adjustable).

K-MTG

Country
Country
I just took some pics right now in the garage...but it is (2:04 PM).

As you can see, the mirrors didn’t dim like they did last night. So is Tesla merely relying on time to control the mirror dimming?

The headlights turned on and the garage had the same amount of lighting as last night.

I hope they add control at some point.
This is not a configurable thing. There is a specific limit that applies to all of us.

So is Tesla merely relying on time to control the mirror dimming?
Find the rearward looking sensor. Shine a bright torch to all kinds of places. Dimming takes around 1-4 seconds with warm glass.
Keep vehicle in a dark garage or cover windshield/forward looking sensor. Low beams on. Drive engaged.

K-MTG

Country
Country
This is not a configurable thing. There is a specific limit that applies to all of us.

Find the rearward looking sensor. Shine a bright torch to all kinds of places. Dimming takes around 1-4 seconds with warm glass.
Keep vehicle in a dark garage or cover windshield/forward looking sensor. Low beams on. Drive engaged.
I don’t see any sensors..I see them on my X but not on the 3.

Therefore searching for them will be intriguing.
Actually... it is possible to use data from rear camera.
Anyway, somebody has to find them.

3V Pilot

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My point is that it SHOULD be a configurable thing. If it's electronically controlled then it could have a a simple "On/Off" selection in the U.I. Just like anything else it would only take an OTA to allow the setting.

I've seen dimming off button on many Asian vehicles (plus a green LED). AFAIK their owners don't even know what that button does. After years of vehicle ownership.
BMWs do not have an off switch... since...forever (I personally remember since 1996). Nobody is complaining. We are talking about millions.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've seen dimming off button on many Asian vehicles (plus a green LED). AFAIK their owners don't even know what that button does. After years of vehicle ownership.
BMWs do not have an off switch... since...forever (I personally remember since 1996). Nobody is complaining. We are talking about millions.
Yes my car allows me to turn off auto dimming on the rear view mirror. Something I have never done. Even with tinted windows, I’ve never had a problem where the mirror was too dim to see with the only exception being a small, dark road; but then I couldn’t see anything behind me because there were no car lights to help.

3V Pilot

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Maybe I'm in the minority here but if something can be controlled, I'd rather have control of it. Auto is a wonderful setting as long as you can turn it off if/when you want to. In cars where I've had the rear window tinted I've found that I rarely dim the mirror at night because at that point it's just too dark. I plan on tinting the windows in the Model 3 when I get, I just hope they update this to a setting and allow me to decide if I want it to dim or not.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Maybe I'm in the minority here but if something can be controlled, I'd rather have control of it. Auto is a wonderful setting as long as you can turn it off if/when you want to. In cars where I've had the rear window tinted I've found that I rarely dim the mirror at night because at that point it's just too dark. I plan on tinting the windows in the Model 3 when I get, I just hope they update this to a setting and allow me to decide if I want it to dim or not.
Could be worth an email/Tweet to Tesla as a recommendation. It does make sense to have this controllable for sure.

Just like headlights and wipers... auto or manual.

3V Pilot

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Could be worth an email/Tweet to Tesla as a recommendation. It does make sense to have this controllable for sure.

Just like headlights and wipers... auto or manual.
Are you suggesting that Elon is not personally reading my every post? And I thought this board was like the hotline to the almighty himself! Well, maybe I'll have to learn how to use that tweety thingy.......:p