• Meh, I don’t care

Votes: 5 16.1%
  • No

Votes: 25 80.6%

• Total voters

K-MTG

Country
Country
I noticed a dimming issue with my rear view mirror and side-mirrors. I see a blue-tint on my mirrors while I drive at night...making it really difficult to see anything while driving. If I shift to reverse...the tint goes away.

I did have a dashcam install on Wednesday...is there a sensor behind the rear-view mirro that they messed up?? If so, does anyone know the specifics of the wiring so I can have this checked?

K-MTG

Country
Country
It was fine during the day...but I am not sure if this is suppose to happen at night. Can’t see anything

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It was fine during the day...but I am not sure if this is suppose to happen at night. Can’t see anything
My believe having them auto dim at night is the exact purpose of them dimming - to prevent headlights behind you from glaring into your eyes when you look at the mirrors.

K-MTG

Country
Country
Sounds like auto dimming mirrors to me, just out of curiosity, are your windows tinted also? That might make it too difficult to see. If they are please post the % tint you went with on rear and sides just for info.
It was fine till the dashcam got installed...could be the dashcam lights. Will unplug the dashcam and drive.

My believe having them auto dim at night is the exact purpose of them dimming - to prevent headlights behind you from glaring into your eyes when you look at the mirrors.
But I can’t see a thing while driving at night

geoffreak

Driving My Model 3
Country
Country
Sounds pretty normal to me. This is how auto-dimming mirrors are supposed to work. Are you saying this isn't how things worked before your dashcam install?

My Subaru with auto-dimming mirrors (side and rear-view) has the mirrors turn dark as soon as it thinks it's dark outside. It looks the same as what you took a picture of.

Maevra

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Auto-dimming mirrors will dim only at night and the blue tint is the electro-chromatic coating being activated, so that is working as intended.

When switching to Reverse, the auto-dimming function on the rear view mirror deactivates, I assume as a safety feature (see p. 39 of the manual which mentions this).

Last edited:

Maevra

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
But I can’t see a thing while driving at night
This may be subjective. I personally feel the auto-dimming can be a touch too dim, but husband says he likes it as-is.

OR

The dashcam is indeed messing with the light sensor somehow and triggering the mirror to become darker than it should. Is there any sort of light source emanating from the dashcam?

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
Sounds like they are working as designed but there's a super easy solution:

Motor Trend tested your car 0-60 at 4.8 sec. Just use it and drive faster! You'll never need to look in your mirrors!:D

Don't worry about the flashing colored lights behind you. The auto dimming mirrors will make them harder to see.:oncomingpolice:

K-MTG

Country
Country
Is there anything I can do to ensure my mirror dimming are working fine? I just drove with the dashcam disconnected (it does have some lights that I can turn off) and I didn’t notice any difference in behavior.

My front driver/passenger windows (tint) are 35% and the rear is 25%.

I didn’t really notice this till today...first time I am driving at night since the dashcam install. It could just be that it needs to be cleaned.

But the installer is coming again tomorrow so I will have him double-check everything is okay.

When I park or go to reverse I can see everything.

As you can see they took apart this housing area for the install.

Maevra

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Ok so I take back my earlier comment, seems there is something up with your mirrors @K-MTG now that you clarified the part about the side mirror. Thought you had intentionally darkened most of the mirror for privacy reasons and the blue-green tint on the lower left side mirror was the original color.

I just took pics of our car for comparison's sake.

The rear view mirror looks to be similar to ours in terms of darkness, but what stands out to me is your side mirror. That's really dark, except for that sliver of green-blue tint next to the darker black bits in the lower left corner. Usually the whole mirror is the same color, even when darkened.

Is that still the case every time auto-dimming is triggered? I'm more bothered by the variation in color rather than the darkness honestly because the dim level could be different based on the ambient light coming through.

ETA: edited a bit for clarity.

Last edited:

K-MTG

Country
Country
Ok so I take back my earlier comment, seems there is something up with your mirrors @K-MTG now that you clarified the part about the side mirror. Thought you had intentionally darkened most of the mirror for privacy reasons and the blue-green tint on the lower left side mirror was the original color.

I just took of our car for comparison's sake.

View attachment 4837 View attachment 4839

The rear view mirror looks to be similar to ours in terms of darkness, but what stands out to me is your side mirror. That's really dark, except for that sliver of green-blue tint next to the darker black bits in the lower left corner. Usually the whole mirror is the same color, even when darkened. Is that still the case or was that a fluke of the angle/lighting you think?
It could be the angle...my mirrors looks like your pics.

Maevra

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It could be the angle...my mirrors looks like your pics.
Ok so if it's just the angle/lighting I think you are good. Still a bit puzzling why the blue-green tint is there for a small part while the rest is darker, but if that's a fluke that's ok.

K-MTG

Country
Country
Here is a video:
In park, the rearview mirror is fine but once I shift to drive it dims. Likewise, the side mirrors are dim in drive, but when I shift to park, they are fine.

My Model X doesn't have this issue. I shifted both cars into drive in the garage:

Model X:

Model 3:

As you can see, the 3 fully dims while the X doesn't;. I initially though this was an issue due to my dashcam install but since @Maevra posted similar pics...I presume its a design/software issue.

If you are a 3 owner, please share some pics. Want to know if all 3's have this issue or just some...I wonder if Tesla can resolve this with a software update.

K-MTG

Country
Country
You likely covered forward looking light intensity sensor. Remove dashcam from that position.
Move it to the right side, closer to passenger.
But it seems other people (without dashcams) have a similar issue...not sure if the dashcam is the culprit anymore.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This thread makes me a bit nervous about hardwiring my radar detector — still on the fence. May sell it and forget about it...

tracksyde

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
K-MTG, is there a light sensor on the backside of the rear view mirror? It doesn’t look like there is any type of light sensor back there from the pics I’ve looked at. I suppose it’s possible that day/night data is also coming from the cameras too.

It seems like it is working as intended. But it seems kind of “dumb” to just dim it as soon as it gets dark. I’m pretty sure the rear view mirror in my Prius only dims when there are headlights behind me (edit: confirmed, my Homelink mirror only dims when it’s night time AND there are headlights shining into the rear view mirror)

Last edited: