Auto High Beams

TeslaFanDC

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
In a car as tech savvy as the Model 3, are there really not automatic dimming high beams that temporarily adjust for oncoming traffic? My 2016 Toyota Sienna has it and I was surprised in skimming the owner's manual today that I noticed no mention of it.

Seems like something they can easily enable with a software update though.

Michael Russo

MSM Team Founder, Midnight S≡R≡NITY rider
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
In a car as tech savvy as the Model 3, are there really not automatic dimming high beams that temporarily adjust for oncoming traffic? My 2016 Toyota Sienna has it and I was surprised in skimming the owner's manual today that I noticed no mention of it.

Seems like something they can easily enable with a software update though.
Thought that’s standard on Model 3...

scaots

Tesla Pilot, Owner, and Shareholder
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I enabled auto high beams and have yet to see my lights switch to high beam. Granted being summer I'm not getting many chances where lights are in use, but have had a few times when they should have been able to kick on and didn't.

I'm sure it will come in the future via software update.

My 1985 Thunderbird Elan had auto dimming headlights... haha.

I mean look at that digital super awesome 1985 dash!

I had a '85 elan. Loved that car. Still occasionally have dreams about it. Super comfortable, but the big six with three speed was pretty pathetic. Did you have the 6 or turbo 4 or V8? I had digital speedo, but I don't think the other guades and lights were like that, but I definitely didn't have all the options.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I enabled auto high beams and have yet to see my lights switch to high beam. Granted being summer I'm not getting many chances where lights are in use, but have had a few times when they should have been able to kick on and didn't.

I had a '85 elan. Loved that car. Still occasionally have dreams about it. Super comfortable, but the big six with three speed was pretty pathetic. Did you have the 6 or turbo 4 or V8? I had digital speedo, but I don't think the other guades and lights were like that, but I definitely didn't have all the options.
I have yet to see them, but then the light pollution in South Florida is out of control. I never get anywhere dark enough to see them in action...

iChris93

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

Have you turned them on besides enabling them in settings? You have to push the stalk back to turn them on and you should see a greyed out auto high beam symbol on the screen.

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Have you turned them on besides enabling them in settings? You have to push the stalk back to turn them on and you should see a greyed out auto high beam symbol on the screen.
I think that's true if you have enabled "Auto High Beams" but have "Auto" headlights "off". I leave headlights on "Auto" and have "Auto High Beams" enabled and leave my high beams on all the time and it works well. But it does need to be dark out for the daytime running lights to switch to headlights.

iChris93

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I think that's true if you have enabled "Auto High Beams" but have "Auto" headlights "off". I leave headlights on "Auto" and have "Auto High Beams" enabled and leave my high beams on all the time and it works well. But it does need to be dark out for the daytime running lights to switch to headlights.
If I remember correctly, even with auto head lights on and auto high beams enabled, I had to turn on the brights to turn on the auto brights.

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
If I remember correctly, even with auto head lights on and auto high beams enabled, I had to turn on the brights to turn on the auto brights.
That may be right. Our days are still pretty long up North and I haven't had too many opportunities to use the headlights. But, yes, the stalk still works even with everything set to "auto".

iChris93

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
That may be right. Our days are still pretty long up North and I haven't had too many opportunities to use the headlights. But, yes, the stalk still works even with everything set to "auto".
I've only used it a couple times too, so I don't exactly know how it works but I can figure out how to turn it on every time I need it.

Here is the excerpt from the manual to make it clear.

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
I've only used it a couple times too, so I don't exactly know how it works but I can figure out how to turn it on every time I need it.
I'll try to remember to pay attention the next couple of times I drive in the dark to see if the high/low beam setting is retained from last time the car was driven. But I bet it always defaults to "low" beam each time the car is powered up.

slacker775

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The auto high beam thing is not subtle. You should def know if it is on. The various signs will be bright as day and if there is some oncoming traffic, the high beams turn off and the signs go as black as they would have been back in the medieval times when you drove an old fashioned car.

iChris93

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The auto high beam thing is not subtle. You should def know if it is on. The various signs will be bright as day and if there is some oncoming traffic, the high beams turn off and the signs go as black as they would have been back in the medieval times when you drove an old fashioned car.
I still think they’re better lit than they were with my previous vehicle.

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Oh, yes, it's easy to tell if it's on high beam, it's just that I need to pay attention to see if they stay on from last drive or if I have to flick them on each time. Fall is coming.