Auto crash avoidance too sensitive.

• Our merch store is back! Check out our line of quality apparel and accessories featuring the TOO logo. Let us know if you'd like something specific you don't see 👍https://teespring.com/stores/tesla-owners-online-store
  • It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

NYer

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've noticed over the past couple of months that occasionally, as I'm driving, my Model 3 will sound an alert and try to steer out of my lane, trying to avoid a crash. However, there is nothing in front of me, and thankfully there was nothing on my sides coming near me. Pretty unnevering to be driving along and then the car tries to move to the side while sounding alerts and I have to fight it back.

Btw - I have no auto pilot upgrade whatsoever.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've noticed over the past couple of months that occasionally, as I'm driving, my Model 3 will sound an alert and try to steer out of my lane, trying to avoid a crash. However, there is nothing in front of me, and thankfully there was nothing on my sides coming near me. Pretty unnevering to be driving along and then the car tries to move to the side while sounding alerts and I have to fight it back.

Btw - I have no auto pilot upgrade whatsoever.
are you sure this isn't instead the Lane Departure Avoidance? are you crossing over the lane line when it does it?

jdcollins5

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It sounds like Emergency Lane Departure if you wander over the outside lane line or Lane Departure Warning if an inner lane line. These can be modified in Settings. It is a safety feature to keep you from drifting off the road or out of your lane unless you use the turn signal first.

NYer

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
are you sure this isn't instead the Lane Departure Avoidance? are you crossing over the lane line when it does it?
Good thought, but no. I was driving down the center of anhighway line each time, the crash alert came on, and the car tried to steer left or right and I had to overcome the wheel to keep it straight. Then, back to normal.

It was crash avoidance, not lane departure.

NYer

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It sounds like Emergency Lane Departure if you wander over the outside lane line or Lane Departure Warning if an inner lane line. These can be modified in Settings. It is a safety feature to keep you from drifting off the road or out of your lane unless you use the turn signal first.
Good thought, but no. See above response. Thanks.

mswlogo

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Teslacam would have been on, but it wouldnt have shown the onscreen alert or the audible alert. It would have just shown the car jumping one way and then going back to center.
You might see what it saw that triggered it. You can also share it to see if others might see what caused it. Often you will see something. Quick reflection, momentary blinded camera from sun etc.

You can tell us (roughly) when you saw alert on screen relative to time on the Video

DocScott

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This sounds like it might be a sensor problem; i.e., something that needs service. Phantom braking is pretty commonly reported, but phantom swerving is not.

JasonF

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It gets really obnoxious if you try and take a quick right turn onto a downhill side road that has a guardrail leading up to it with a gap for the side road. The lane departure system will try to pull you out of the turn multiple times, so you really have to fight it.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Happens on a regular basis, it’s the emergency lane departure and the newer update allows you to disable it permanently rather than each time you hop in the car.

NYer

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
You might see what it saw that triggered it. You can also share it to see if others might see what caused it. Often you will see something. Quick reflection, momentary blinded camera from sun etc.

You can tell us (roughly) when you saw alert on screen relative to time on the Video
Good suggestion. I unfortunately did not note the dates when it happened. I was just alerted by my Model 3 that my USB was full and I had to remove it to clean it up. I had been under the impression that it simply overwrote the old video files - not the case.

In any case, reviewing USB files on the USB stick is painful. No way to scroll and find things easily. I'll have to note the date and time next time, and will post the video files thereafter.

mswlogo

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Good suggestion. I unfortunately did not note the dates when it happened. I was just alerted by my Model 3 that my USB was full and I had to remove it to clean it up. I had been under the impression that it simply overwrote the old video files - not the case.

In any case, reviewing USB files on the USB stick is painful. No way to scroll and find things easily. I'll have to note the date and time next time, and will post the video files thereafter.
Sentry is not auto deleted. TeslaCam is auto deleted unless you explicitly save. It will normally have a rolling 1hr window.

If you see an event you want to capture just hit the dash cam button and it will save the last 10 minutes to a directory based on the time hit hit the save.

If the event you wanted to capture is over 10 minutes and less than 1hr then pull the USB stick out.

There are tools out there for easier browsing of videos.

NYer

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Sentry is not auto deleted. TeslaCam is auto deleted unless you explicitly save. It will normally have a rolling 1hr window.

If you see an event you want to capture just hit the dash cam button and it will save the last 10 minutes to a directory based on the time hit hit the save.

If the event you wanted to capture is over 10 minutes and less than 1hr then pull the USB stick out.

There are tools out there for easier browsing of videos.
That's helpful. Thanks. I had videos on their from 4/19. I was not aware that dashcam videos were treated differently from sentry videos.