Audi e-tron news

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Thomas Mikl

Country
Country
The following are confirmed news from a hands on workshop for the german press without NDA, so I am free to post this I guess :)

e-tron battery:
It will have a 95kW battery with 462 pouches from LG chem. Between the pouches there are cooling mats that can actively cool the battery, it will however not pre-heat or have any heating ability.
Audi claims that effectively pouch batteries are superior as they can be packaged denser.
Audi claims 400km range.(310 miles)
Audi also claims that unlike Tesla, through this cooling the e-tron can hold its top speed longer.

Thoughts on the battery:
As a physicist I still strongly belief that pouch is inferior with todays electrodes. While it is clear it can be packaged denser, that is one of the problems that this kind of battery has. Also distributing the load of accelleration over 462 pouches or about 10 times that number of individual round cells makes a huge difference as a single round cell will have more room for fault and less degradation over time. So in my opinion I would say the Tesla approach is far superior.
Also I guess the 400km range for a sort of SUV which is only 200kg (around 400 lbs) lighter than the X, they would have to have a miracle cw number and the best wheel covers in the industry. So my guess this is EU standard testing which is .... stupid.
Now I think the last claim is totaly stupid, they are seriously afraid of Tesla and they cannot cool their battery any better. So unless they alow degradation for the sake of speed this claim is simply bogus.

loading the e-tron:
The e-tron will have a CCS2 DC fast charger that can charge up to 150kW, the AC internal charger is capable of charging up to 22 kW via Type2.
Audi also says it is hugely investing into the Ionity Joint Venture and pouring at least a billion Euros into that net that will have chargers that can do 350kW over CCS2.

Thoughts:
I think this is an excellent move. Finally someone with a sense that the loading infrastructure will not build itself. However I was a little bummed that they did ride the train of 350kW is more than twise of Tesla Supercharger, while their e-tron can also only do 150kW... kind of pissed me off.

Starting Price:
The e-tron will start at Euro 80,000 in Germany. With the usual extra list of Audi that will go up to usually 130k.
But at least the entry model will have AC and navigation, which is a first for Audi.

KarenRei

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Audi claims 400km range.(310 miles)
~400km is ~250mi. And it's WLTP, so cut that by 85% to get EPA combined (see the Leaf's WLTP of 177mi combined vs. 151mi EPA combined). So expect ~210mi EPA combined if its WLTP:EPA ratio is similar to the Leaf. Less than a base Model 3.

cooling mats that can actively cool the battery
Cooling mats? Sounds like peltier coolers. The easy/cheap/lazy solution, but they're very inefficient.

Audi also claims that unlike Tesla, through this cooling the e-tron can hold its top speed longer.
Model S/X speeds are not limited by battery pack overheating, but by motor overheating. Model 3s are not limited by either.

a sort of SUV
Note: E-tron vs. Model X:

Length: 192,1" vs. 198,3"
Width: 76" vs. 89,4"
Height: 60,6" vs. 66,3"
Cargo volume: 21,7 ft² vs. 88,1 ft² (5-seat config)
Seats: 5 vs. 5-7

It seems trendy to call every new EV these days a "SUV". Even the Kona is being called a "SUV", even though it's the same size as a Bolt.

Audi also says it is hugely investing into the Ionity Joint Venture and pouring at least a billion Euros into that net that will have chargers that can do 350kW over CCS2.
I caution people to not get their hopes up too much on the "350kW chargers". If they're like CCS, most can only do their rated max power at ~1000V, meaning real-world charge rates are far lower for existing EVs, and only potential future vehicles which accept high charging voltages can make use of it. And charge times are much more limited by where taper starts than whatever peak rate you can do for the bottom ~30% of your charge regardless. Lastly, just because Audi is investing in Ionity doesn't mean at all that the vehicle will accept 350kW, or anything like it, any time soon.

I would guess 75k for entry model plus tax.
EU pricing ‘starting at ‘€80,000’
https://electrek.co/2018/03/15/audi-e-tron-quattro-suv-all-electric-price/

Take away VAT, convert from euros, and you're starting at $83k USD.

Last edited:

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It seems trendy to call every new EV these days a "SUV". Even the Kona is being called a "SUV", even though it's the same size as a Bolt.
Agreed. But I do like the trend of having taller cars again. As I get older, I appreciate that there are a lot of choices that are easy to get in and out of.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Wife and I went to the Audi dealership today to see the unveiling of the Audi e-Tron.
Looks exactly as the gas SUV version but just all electric. Inside was blah.
The great news was that they said that Audi and their parent company Volkswagen had recently signed a deal with Walmart to put their superchargers at all Walmarts across the US.
They didn't have a timeline though. They did say that Tesla supercharging stations were for Tesla only b/c of our plug type and that their stations would be the universal plug type that is used on all the other all electric vehicles and Tesla owners would have to use our adaptors.

jsmay311

Country
Country
The great news was that they said that Audi and their parent company Volkswagen had recently signed a deal with Walmart to put their superchargers at all Walmarts across the US.
They didn't have a timeline though.
They were probably referring to this: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...l-ev-chargers-at-walmart-stores-idUSKBN1HP1YJ

You can find existing and planned Electrify America locations here: https://www.electrifyamerica.com/locate-charger You can also find them on www.plugshare.com by filtering for CCS chargers and/or the Electrify America network.

Also, probably shouldn't call them "Superchargers". That's a Tesla branding thing. "DC Fast Chargers" or "CCS" or something like that is probably more accurate.

They did say that Tesla supercharging stations were for Tesla only b/c of our plug type and that their stations would be the universal plug type that is used on all the other all electric vehicles and Tesla owners would have to use our adaptors.
True, except no such adapters exist/work yet for the Model 3.

Tesla's Chademo adapters might eventually work for the Model 3 (side note: can hardly believe they still don't work), although it looks like most Electrify America locations only have one Chademo plug vs 4 CCS plugs.

And the consensus opinion seems to be that current generation Teslas will never work with a CCS adapter. (I hope the consensus is wrong, but still...)

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Note that the Model 3's shipping overseas have the CCS built in. Seems to be the standard that the world is settling on. I think with enough of these chargers installed and some pressure from owners Tesla will hopefully start to build the adapter. As well they should really start building the same charge port for NA that has both plugs available - Tesla proprietary and CCS. It would make charging much more flexible.

SoFlaModel3

T≡SLATUNITY
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
From a 95kWh battery. Wow. They're going to sell 10s of them!

Seriously, what an embarrassment. I'm a fan of Audi in general but they really missed the mark.
Meanwhile my car gets a software update to add 15 miles of range. The legacy auto makers have a long way to go to figure this out...

iChris93

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Regardless of their history I was hoping they'd start making good EVs. Instead they've shot themselves in the foot with a terrible freshman effort. Neither Audi or the EV movement will see any benefit from a 204 mile range luxury SUV.

The e-Tron turns out to be an e-Tron killer! 😀
If they sell them, it will make their Electrify America chargers a bit more busy.

Jayc

Country
Country
From a 95kWh battery. Wow. They're going to sell 10s of them!

Seriously, what an embarrassment. I'm a fan of Audi in general but they really missed the mark.
In the ICE world, you could stick a decent engine, add a stronger particulate filter, sneak control logic to bypass testing, and not worry about it much because owners will rarely complain. With a limited range, in EVs its a whole new ballgame as they have come to discover and still finding out the hard way. And it's the big grills and general dated design that legacy auto just cannot seem to shake off - in fear that their loyal fan base will abandon the brand.

But I would bet none of the anti-Tesla media will ever question the profit margins of the e-tron line.