Arguments with spouse over Tesla

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

shareef777

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Sooooo, I got into an argument with my wife this morning about our 3. Now, there's no my/her and we own everything together, and I want to say I'm ecstatically married for 16years with 3 awesome kids (in case she sneaks in here 😬). But damn it, she takes MY 3 (ignore what I said about "our" 😂) to work EVERY SINGLE DAY. Now, "her car" is the Honda Pilot (as it's larger, has a 3rd row, and she wanted a truck and the Y was too far out date wise with the 3rd row option). I've been working from home everyday since March (COVID related), and she's easily put in 95% of all the miles since March.

Anyone else buy a Tesla only for their spouse/SO to pretty much take it over?

shareef777

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I've been eyeing the Y for a long time and am anxiously waiting to see how it looks with a 3rd row. Our Pilot is the 8 passenger version and I wouldn't mind going down to a 7 passenger vehicle, But to lose passenger capacity AND the ability to put anyone other than a small child in the 3rd row wouldn't work for me. And unfortunately, the X is out of our price range (and personally, I prefer the layout/cabin of the 3/Y over the S/X).

NR4P

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
NO worries here. My wife doesn't like my 3 and test drove the Y and doesn't like it either. Its not the "driving part" its that they both seem cheap and too much road noise to her. And the seats aren't comfortable. But she would love an X, but not worth $30K (base model) over a Y.
Not complaining, she doesn't want to drive MY car.

shareef777

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
God, I still remember the first time she took it out a year and a half ago. She was terrified of it and thought that it was the dumbest vehicle ever produced 🤦‍♂️ . She couldn’t adjust to the regenerative breaking, the low stance scared her when driving along larger vehicles, and the launch from the perf made her stomach churn. She definitely couldn’t stand the interior single screen design (admittedly I wasn’t into it at first either). She gradually got over all her fears of the 3 and became a worse fanboy then me. Than COVID happened and she struck! Snatched the car before I even noticed 😭

This is all to say that I’d like to meet someone that’s driven the Tesla around town and came back and said “meh”. I just can’t fathom someone doing that after seeing how my wife changed her tune about our 3.

PEIEVGUY

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Shouldn't you be happy that she's saving money by taking the electric car?

In our house, whoever has further to drive gets OUR Model 3 for the day. Unfortunately this sometimes leads to me not getting it for a few days.

shareef777

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Shouldn't you be happy that she's saving money by taking the electric car?

In our house, whoever has further to drive gets OUR Model 3 for the day. Unfortunately this sometimes leads to me not getting it for a few days.
Great way to look at it! Just did the math and it costs about a quarter of what it costs for her to drive to work with the 3 over the Pilot. We pay about 10 cents per mile for our Pilot based on $2.50 per gal, averaging 25mpg. And it costs us 2.8 cents per mile for our 3 based on $.10 per/kWH (getting 280wh/mi, lets just say she got over the fact I spent extra for the perf and leverages that added "value" A LOT). She's got a relatively short commute at just over 6mi round trip, but it adds up to about $10 a month savings.

Gunn

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
This is all to say that I’d like to meet someone that’s driven the Tesla around town and came back and said “meh”. I just can’t fathom someone doing that after seeing how my wife changed her tune about our 3.
You need to meet my wife, she is a total 'meh' about Tesla's (Car, company, employees and Musk) and refuses to drive mine.
The list of things she complains about is endless and they are not faults with the car, just that she wants different things like the fact that our 3 doesn't have any "Oh S**t" bars for her to hold onto. I think her biggest gripe is that it's too much tech (she isn't that way inclined and relies on me to fix everything) and she gets nervous when it's in AP.

But here is the kicker, we always go in the 3 when out for a family trip... and i get to drive :cool:

NightStorm

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I also have no concerns wrt the wife: she hates my Model 3 and never hesitates to state "I'll never, ever get a Tesla". Most if not all of that comes from being startled by Autopilot's blaring warning and jerky change-of-mind behavior (which I swear only happens when she is a passenger). Tesla needs better passenger-factors engineering.

AutopilotFan

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
The list of things she complains about is endless and they are not faults with the car, just that she wants different things like the fact that our 3 doesn't have any "Oh S**t" bars for her to hold onto.
The "Oh S**t" bars are in the doors. If you think about it, they're more grabbable for smaller people or those with shoulder problems. Learn to grab 'em and you might even feel more secure since the grab point is closer to one's center of gravity.