Are the headlights supposed to be flush with bumper?

Country
Country
As with all Model 3's, there are varying degrees of "flush" headlights with the bumper. I have a little lip on both sides. My work has several and I walked the parking lot to see the variations. Some seem almost flush and some seem like mine with an overbite (headlight further out than bumper). Tesla SC says it's "within spec" which is the common response for QC issues.

Twiglett

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Won't it depend on the adjustment of that particular headlight?
If its an adjustable item that is in spec then where is the concern?
Its not possible to adjust the headlight and still be flush with the unmoving body panel.

S Madgal

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
As with all Model 3's, there are varying degrees of "flush" headlights with the bumper. I have a little lip on both sides. My work has several and I walked the parking lot to see the variations. Some seem almost flush and some seem like mine with an overbite (headlight further out than bumper). Tesla SC says it's "within spec" which is the common response for QC issues.
My driver's side headlamp had quite the overbite - the Tesla Service Centre confirmed that the issue was not with the headlamp, rather, it was the bumper that was misaligned. They tried to re-position the bumper but were unable to - they have now sent it to the body shop to get the bumper fixed. Not too happy because I only had the car for 3 days :-(

Defjukie

Country
Country
Mine both stick out a bit at the bottom, maybe .25-.5 inches. The few other Model 3's I've been able to see are about the same. Does anyone actually have headlights that are perfectly flush?

Quicksilver

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Both of mine have "overbite" of about 1/16" or less, not too concern about it.

Rich M

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My headlights are also about 1/16 over the bumper, I believe it is designed that way to accommodate for headlight adjustment. You could adjust the headlights by selecting the menu item on the screen + the thumb wheel. BUT.... I would not do that, you really don't want to change the angle of your headlights, this is not an adjustment that should be done without proper calibration equiptment
The headlight beam adjustment doesn't move the light physically. It's internal.

/billy

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
#metoo:( they said, "The headlights are within specs."

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Now Tesla figured a way to address the protruding headlight syndrome. ;)

Last week spoke to local service manager and I was told they received a procedure on how to align Bumper with headlights. (not other way around). Service manager told me it is the bumper that needs fix, not lights.

I was skeptical and dropped my M3 last week for few fixes along with this. I picked up the car and now have headlight aligned correctly. Earlier lights were protruding by 1/4 inch or more.

So, if your car has this same issue, now reach out to your SC and get it fixed. I think this will reduce some air turbulence in the front end and hence less drag..:)

For many issues they are pushing off saying it is within spec (Because too many cars needed adjustment). Just insist and talk to Service Manager if needed. Remember Musk is claiming 1/15th MM accuracy!!

See some photos, one before fix, almost quarter inch extended, after fix, it is flush with bumper.

Attachments

Chris350

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I picked up today (7/12) and both headlights have the overbite issue.... So they are going to fix.... The real issue also is that the right headlight is not seated properly... So, I am unsure how that will look when I drive it tonight.... Last issue is the cracked tailight.... Now waiting to find out when they can get it fixed....

JeffC

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

Chris350

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Well, I will find out today (I hope).....

Car should be back today from service (A few issues at delivery)....

One of the issues was the bulging headlights (also replacing driverside scratched headlight and re-seating the passenger side headlight) along with adjusting the hood (sits to far back making the gap between the bumper and hood collect debris in the gap).

So, we shall see.....