Are my brake lights supposed to look like this?

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

• A statement from the Founder of Tesla Owners Online:

TOO is, and remains, strongly committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion and we see no place for hatred and discrimination in our communities.

Tmo6

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I was driving behind my model 3 today, (hey, gotta give the wife a turn every so often!) and saw that my brake lights are just these little red strips. Is this normal? I thought the outer-C/reverse-C might also illuminate when braking during daylight hours??

Attachments

Ct200h

Country
Country
I really think after seeing several in day and night that aftermarket taillights with more lighted area in them could be a good seller
Maybe a neater design and just plain brighter , I fear being hit from behind
The Leaf had those huge vertical tail lights , always felt visible. Ugly , but visible

Sandy

One obsession to the next
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Personally I think Audi has the best looking taillights going and have had for years. I do like the 3’s as well including brake and turns.

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Has anyone considered adding an additional light? I’ve seen online several third brake light turn signal combos like the one pictured? I’ve not seen any aftermarket tail lights available so this was the only options I could find.

lairdb

Country
Country
I have always put a brake modulator or brake wig-wag on my motorcycles; with the Model 3 having brake lights that are mixed with the turn signals (bad decision, Telsla!) I've been considering putting a modulator on the CHMSL (third brake light).

Has anyone figured out
- how to get up into that area, or
- where the wiring harness for that runs, or
- what the connectors are (for a splice-free and reversible install)?

Ingineer

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
You can do it all without tools. You have to start by folding down the rear seats, remove all the side trim and the C-Pillar covers, then you can remove the push-tree fasteners from the rear deck cover, release the 2 side latches, then it pulls forward and up.

The CHMSL (center brake light) is controlled by VCRIGHT which is the Body Control ECU located in the passenger side (right) kick panel. So that would be an easier place to intercept the wire without taking the back of the car apart as outlined above.

It's a .35mm2 blue wire going into pin 20 of 52-pin connector X050. It's the largest connector on the ECU and the it's part number is a Sumitomo 6098-8363, so you might be able to find a diagram online. If you wanted to do it w/o cutting wires, the easiest way would be to remove the terminal from the connector body and then insert a new one. The terminal used is Sumitomo #8100-3625.

lairdb

Country
Country
It's a .35mm2 blue wire going into pin 20 of 52-pin connector X050. It's the largest connector on the ECU and the it's part number is a Sumitomo 6098-8363, so you might be able to find a diagram online. If you wanted to do it w/o cutting wires, the easiest way would be to remove the terminal from the connector body and then insert a new one. The terminal used is Sumitomo #8100-3625.
(Yay! @Ingineer is back!)

Thanks! Best ground on X050?

BTW, did you see that one guy who received a 3 with one US taillight assembly and one EU, and the EU worked as expected? I can’t find the post again, but I saw it... somewhere.