Apps and logging, 3rd party software. Any reviews for Model 3?

• Our merch store is back! Check out our line of quality apparel and accessories featuring the TOO logo. Let us know if you'd like something specific you don't see 👍https://teespring.com/stores/tesla-owners-online-store
  • It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I actually LOVE TeslaFi to monitor vampire drain. In fact, I believe the sleep settings may actually HELP reduce vampire drain.

There are a few caveats regarding TeslaFi and their sleep settings. The car settings needed for TeslaFi sleep settings to work are:

1. 'Energy Savings' enabled
2. 'Always Connected' disabled
3. 'Cabin Overheat Protection' disabled.

#3 may be a dealbreaker for @SoFlaModel3 but clearly that setting uses A LOT of power. Below is a screenshot of my home page from today. The top right shows my time in Sleep and my time in Idle along with the power used during those times. Then, I selected to view my idle and sleep sessions individually so most of the screenshot shows the stats of the individual sessions.

View attachment 11727

I was checking my loot box on my Tesla app today and every time I opened the app, my car was woken out of sleep. Terrible that you can’t see the status of awards from the MyTesla webpage. I’m hoping I get my black Elon Wall Charger before my Model 3s. Having Tesla wall chargers daisy chained simplifies charging for more than 1 Tesla.
Wow that’s pretty impressive. I may need to give it a look. I’m definitely crazy for data!

NJturtlePower

Living the Dream, Driving the Future!
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@Brokedoc My stats are very similar to yours for today, and I agree, I do love all the data TeslaFi brings to the table.

Now that I have Sleep Mode running I think it's a keeper for sure. ;)

teslafi-daily-jpg.12965

Attachments

Last edited:

NJturtlePower

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
TeslaFi's Monthly calendar view is pretty awesome too... gives a little summary on each day individually of all drives and charges and at the top summarizes your driving and charging for the full month. Great for estimating your utility bill impact and oogling over your operating costs/efficiency. :)

If interested, please use my referral code/user name (NJturtlePower) CaSe SeNsItIvE for an additional 2-week trial. I'll get a $5 credit towards my annual ($50) subscription if you end up keeping it, so thanks! ;)

teslafi-july-jpg.12962

Attachments

Last edited:

GregRF

Country
Country
So why not use let's say 5min as "Time to try Sleeping"? Meaning your stops should be MORE than 5min on average.

In this scenario, if I drove to the store and parked, after 5min the car would try to sleep and if it did and I then left the store 20min after arriving (still set at 30min idle) there should be no data loss correct?
Looking at the raw data feed, it seems to always take 11 minutes of stopped polling for the car to actually fall asleep.

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
Wow that’s pretty impressive. I may need to give it a look. I’m definitely crazy for data!
Plus I have TeslaFi set up to text me when my car falls asleep.

20180719_143558-jpg.11759

Looking at the raw data feed, it seems to always take 11 minutes of stopped polling for the car to actually fall asleep.
It's a temporary pause in polling to allow the car to enter sleep. After in sleep, TeslaFi can resume polling depending on your interval settings. Based on my sleep mode measurements, phantom drain is nonexistent. Idle mode drain however can add up quickly.

Stats App

Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
Anyone using any of the 3rd party apps for logging and controls of their model 3s?

I've seen some mention of software like TeslaFi and Dashboard for Tesla, but not too many accounts in relation to the model 3. Please post any experiences you have had.
Here is a partial list of what the Stats app does.
  • A graph that shows your battery health
  • A graph that shows your efficiency vs. others
  • A graph that shows firmware distribution across users
  • A graph that shows miles driven per day/week/month
  • A graph that shows stats related to your charging sessions
  • A graph that shows your driving efficiency history
  • A graph that shows you phantom drain stats per day/week/month and location of each phantom drain
  • Export your stats to a spreadsheet to analyze on your desktop computer
  • Sends notification if you arrive somewhere and leave one of the doors or trunk(s) open (which prevents the car to lock itself)
  • Receive a notification (after a few minutes) if climate was tuned on remotely and you are not in the car. This helps prevent depleting the car battery if you turn the climate on remotely and then forget about it.
  • Send addresses from your iOS device to your car
  • Charging reminder notifies you if the car's battery level is low and it is parked at home and it is unplugged
  • Use the Widget to do all this without launching any apps:
    • check status of all doors
    • o battery level
    • time to complete charge (when charging)
  • Displays driving efficiency over past 30 miles
  • Supports multiple vehicles under the same account
  • App reminds you if the battery level is low (user specified) and the car is at home (user specified location) and it's not plugged in. Of course, the feature is optional and can be disabled, if desired.
  • You can change the cost for a charging session by tap-and-hold on the cost bar-chart
  • Integrated several forums and new sites

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

NJturtlePower

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
In case anybody else on TeslaFi is experiencing any Sleep and Offline Messages as I was yesterday after my 28.1 update I wanted to share the response I got from James.

Hi,

Unfortunately TeslaFi can't make the car sleep. It can only pause polling to try to let it sleep but it's up the Tesla and car when it's ready to sleep and it seems to change with the model 3 on each firmware release.

I would make sure you have cabin overheat turned off. I would also recommend not using the Tesla widget since every time you view it the car will 'wake up' and the clock could start all over on when it's ready to sleep.

A few software versions have displayed offline when the car is idle and it may be sleeping but it's not the typical way it works. It changes from version to version so for now TeslaFi just includes this in the idle session. You can disable offline notifications within settings->notifications if you receive to many.

Hopefully this helps.

Thanks,
James

So seems this is an ongoing complication of the Model 3 updates... good news is my car had no problems sleeping at night while plugged in just seems to be more hesitant during the day.

Today at work Johnny 5.3 went into sleep after about an hour where previously it would be about 30-min. One positive notes about the 28.1 at least so far is that idle drain/loss is greatly reduced from what I was tracking on 24.7 so I guess that makes up from some of the additional idling.

My C.O.P setting was already OFF, but took James' suggestion about not using the iPhone widget for now to see if that helps brings things back to my normal.

Last edited:

airj1012

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Just wanted to see if folks had a favorite iOS application to control their car. I'm looking to give the application to a family member as a gift who has a Model 3. More concerned with being able to control the car than the driving statistics. Any favorites or good reviews to compare them myself? Ones I know about are Stats, TeslaFi, Remote S.

Thanks!

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Just wanted to see if folks had a favorite iOS application to control their car. I'm looking to give the application to a family member as a gift who has a Model 3. More concerned with being able to control the car than the driving statistics. Any favorites or good reviews to compare them myself? Ones I know about are Stats, TeslaFi, Remote S.

Thanks!
Teslafi for me is far and away the favorite. It is online, so not an iOS app, but available on anything with an internet connection (even in the Model 3)

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

Thanks!
Those are the ones I know of, and I just started using "Commands" which is simple but adds Siri and Apple Watch control.
Another one to check out is TezLab

Stats appears to be the nicest app, but I won't use it because if combined with TeslaFi the car will never sleep. And Teslafi is still king for data,.