Apple tesla ?

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, five years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to more features on the site. We now offer yearly memberships too! For more information visit this page:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
You'd think there could be some perfect synergy, but too much money and big egos in the way. This would turn out to be a disaster for both companies.

turnem

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Apple buying Tesla might be enough for me to sell my Tesla. I personally feel like a lot more BAD than good would come of this. I could of course be very wrong.

HCD3

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Apple buying Tesla might be enough for me to sell my Tesla. I personally feel like a lot more BAD than good would come of this. I could of course be very wrong.
If you like your car now, why would Apple buying Tesla make you want to sell your car? If Tesla bought Apple, obviously a joke, I don’t see a need to sell my iPhone. Apple has wanted to get into the car game for a long time. Since Tesla is light years ahead of the competition as far as autonomy goes a deal for both companies makes sense to me.

turnem

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
If you like your car now, why would Apple buying Tesla make you want to sell your car? If Tesla bought Apple, obviously a joke, I don’t see a need to sell my iPhone. Apple has wanted to get into the car game for a long time. Since Tesla is light years ahead of the competition as far as autonomy goes a deal for both companies makes sense to me.
OK, I was being a bit dramatic to make a point I guess. Let me just say that if Apple started influencing the design decisions and in particular the infotainment system in a way that I suspect they would, I'd have much less of an interest in the vehicle.

I'm just not a fan of apple anything. I've tried their phones and their computers extensively - just not a fan.

Tesla's infotainment system isn't perfect now but it's better than what Apple would give us.

Dr. J

Private
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
The only similarity they share is that they both were CEO of tech companies.

Hey! That Brad guy stole your avatar. :p

Alls I can say is, if the rumor of Apple buying Tesla were true, TSLA would be double today's price ($205).

HCD3

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
OK, I was being a bit dramatic to make a point I guess. Let me just say that if Apple started influencing the design decisions and in particular the infotainment system in a way that I suspect they would, I'd have much less of an interest in the vehicle.

I'm just not a fan of apple anything. I've tried their phones and their computers extensively - just not a fan.

Tesla's infotainment system isn't perfect now but it's better than what Apple would give us.
Sorry you’re not in the Apple camp turnem. I admit to being locked into the Apple ecosystem for as long as I can remember. If you’re on a different system that’s totally cool. Trust me I’ve thought about switching but I can’t seem to find a way to port all my data correctly.

Reactions: 1 person

EdisonDrvr

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3

I’m the opposite. I ditched Android and am ported entirely over to Apple and couldn’t be happier. Unlike the android beta experience ....Apple just works. Everything plays nice together and it WORKS. .......[Mod edit to remove comment]......... My experience with Apple is a solid A+. Additionally, unlike my android phone, my iPhone XS worked perfectly ALL THE TIME with my Tesla P3D. Like ICE cars...having ditched them and made the switch to Tesla....I will never go back to the work in progress experiment in beta that is Android.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

hydrofied714

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Hey at least we would've gotten Carplay and Spotify :D

Man...Apple buying Tesla would make the haters go crazy! Two of the most polarizing companies joining together?

turnem

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Sorry you’re not in the Apple camp turnem. I admit to being locked into the Apple ecosystem for as long as I can remember. If you’re on a different system that’s totally cool. Trust me I’ve thought about switching but I can’t seem to find a way to port all my data correctly.
Good point. I guess I'm ultimately just locked into the Google/Android ecosystem. So it's just a personal preference of mine. My wife is totally Apple (with the exception of watches - she's Garmin for that) and I tried to get her on Android but it was a total failure. She likes the Apple OS and how things just kinda work.

turnem

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I’m the opposite. I ditched Android and am ported entirely over to Apple and couldn’t be happier. Unlike the android beta experience ....Apple just works. Everything plays nice together and it WORKS. .......[Mod edit to remove comment]......... My experience with Apple is a solid A+. Additionally, unlike my android phone, my iPhone XS worked perfectly ALL THE TIME with my Tesla P3D. Like ICE cars...having ditched them and made the switch to Tesla....I will never go back to the work in progress experiment in beta that is Android.
Just a personal preference I suppose. Apple is wildly popular for a reason. Android is wildly popular for a reason too. I feel too constrained with Apple. Folks that have tried Android and didn't like it probably felt frustrated with all the options and the challenges that come with that.

I'm not knocking folks that love Apple. My wife is one of them and I pretty much think she's the best thing since sliced bread! :)

turnem

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Hey at least we would've gotten Carplay and Spotify :D

Man...Apple buying Tesla would make the haters go crazy! Two of the most polarizing companies joining together?
I've actually thought more about this since making my original post and I don't suppose it would be horrible if this actually ever happened. Apple could bring some good things to the table for sure.

I was a little anxious about losing Android Auto when buying my Model 3. And while I do miss some aspects of it still, the Tesla infotainment system is more satisfying than I thought it would be for sure!

hydrofied714

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Just a personal preference I suppose. Apple is wildly popular for a reason. Android is wildly popular for a reason too. I feel too constrained with Apple. Folks that have tried Android and didn't like it probably felt frustrated with all the options and the challenges that come with that.

I'm not knocking folks that love Apple. My wife is one of them and I pretty much think she's the best thing since sliced bread! :)
I agree.

I think your wife is the best thing since sliced bread too!

Last edited:

hydrofied714

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I've actually thought more about this since making my original post and I don't suppose it would be horrible if this actually ever happened. Apple could bring some good things to the table for sure.

I was a little anxious about losing Android Auto when buying my Model 3. And while I do miss some aspects of it still, the Tesla infotainment system is more satisfying than I thought it would be for sure!
Yea but one thing Apple really lags behind in is innovation. And that's always been one of Tesla's strong suit. Still...I drool at the thought of Carplay with the carbridge hack on that 15" display.

EdisonDrvr

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Good point. I guess I'm ultimately just locked into the Google/Android ecosystem. So it's just a personal preference of mine. My wife is totally Apple (with the exception of watches - she's Garmin for that) and I tried to get her on Android but it was a total failure. She likes the Apple OS and how things just kinda work.
I agree. There’s no right or wrong ... it’s purely personal preference and what works for you. iOS has been rock solid reliable for me and the family....but...Android does offer more flexibility and customization. Reliability is number one on my bucket list of requirements. Apple makes the hardware and the software and maintains tight control of the ecosystem thus reliability is high as a result. Totally a personal preference and a heathy Android vs Apple ecosystem in competition with each other benefits everyone.

Radeon888

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I thought this was kind of funny regarding IOS13.

https://www.iphoneincanada.ca/news/how-ios-13-saves-battery-on-iphone/

2AECAB0C-0372-4429-9D33-E831148F540A.jpeg

John

Tech Founder
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Apple would inject cash and stability, but stability is a double-edged sword.

People will look back at this period in Tesla's history and say, "Man, they took risks no one would take today, and they changed and broke and fixed things as they went. Just a seat of the pants white knuckle ride. Impossible to imagine now."

And... you'd have a nice iPhone-esque interface in your car. Wait... don't we already?

I guess the difference would be fairly instant Apple Music compatibility. And Siri. And Apple Maps.

Hmm. Maybe we better rethink this thing...

sveurkin

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
If you like your car now, why would Apple buying Tesla make you want to sell your car?

Apple likes to build a walled garden and monetize everything. So say you buy a music track, great. Now you want to use that same music track as a ring tone... pay again! You want to buy an app, apple takes a cut. You want to buy 3rd party peripherals... apple takes a cut. You want to cheat and buy 3rd party hardware and apple adds DRM (digital rights management) so your hardware won't work. Apple continues to pick form over function.... 3 generations of keyboards have had major problems, but they promise the 4th will work. Do you really want a car designed by a company that can't make a reliable keyboard? Or if they make a phone with a defective antenna, they claim you are holding it wrong.

Apple's attention tends to just follow the money. For years they ignored their desktops to focus on the iphone. Finally they revised the laptops and desktops can caused quite a bit of controversy. In particular the touch bar, in the process they removed the <ESC> key and to save 1-2mm of thickness they came out with a thinner keyboard can be crippled by a small crumb.

The continuing cost optimization and picking form over function lead to replacing a cable to the backlight. The replacement was shorter, thinner, and was soldered. Suddenly laptops are dying and the $2 cable and 10 minute replacement now requires $600 to replace the entire backlight. Flexgate was born... hardly the only recent apple issue.

Generally I'd expect apple to result in a car that didn't work with android, became tightly integrated with the apple eco system, and would require ever more 3rd party modifications to pay apple for the privilidge. Even tires (or the TPMS) could well become proprietary.

Apple's been pushing form and appearance over function for quite some time. While I don't mind a beautiful car, last thing I want is an unreliable or unsafe car just because it looks good.

Mr. Spacely

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Apple just bought self-driving car company Drive.ai

Apple Inc. (AAPL) is working to acquire struggling autonomous-car startup Drive.ai, according to a Wednesday evening report. The Information reported (https://www.theinformation.com/articles/apple-looks-to-acquire-struggling-self-driving-car-startup-drive-ai) that the iPhone maker is negotiating with Drive.ai, which has been seeking a buyer since February, according to anonymous sources. Apple has been developing self-driving technology in a division known as Titan, which was restructured earlier this year under new leadership (http://www.marketwatch.com/story/apple-lays-off-employees-from-self-driving-unit-project-titan-report-2019-01-24). The acquisition of Drive.ai is seen as an "acqui-hire" of the engineers working at the startup, which has been valued as high as $200 million in previous funding rounds, The Information reported. According to the California Department of Motor Vehicles, Apple had the third-most autonomous miles driven in that state in 2018, but struggled with disengagements, with human drivers having to take control back from the car about once every mile. Apple shares were trading about 0.5% higher in pre-market trading Thursday morning.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
It appears that there was some truth to this rumor after all - but Apple wasn't interested.

Last edited:

About us

• Tesla Owners Online © 2015-2021. All rights reserved.
    Tesla Owners Online (TOO) is an enthusiast forum and is not affiliated with Tesla Motors or Official Tesla Owners Clubs.
    All Tesla logos are trademarks or registered trademarks of Tesla Motors.