App integration severly lacking!

ng0

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I know, I know... Tesla isn't done with their software yet. I'm still holding out hope that many of the media features I've come to expect and/or hope for in cars will be fully functional by the time it goes out to the general public.

That being said, there are still a lot of features that would be very disappointing to be missing on a $60K car.

1) AM radio - Tunein is a good alternative, but it just doesn't offer everything plain old AM radio has. Two of the main stations I listen to during my commute is an iheartradio exclusive. Maybe just maybe they'll add that app as well!? I'm not sure if this would be possible, but ideally there would be a seamless integration where you can easily jump between channels on the steering wheel controls regardless of the input source. (ex: Jump to one AM station on tune-in, jump to a different AM station on iheartradio, jump to an FM station, jump to XM station... etc)
2) FM radio - similar to the above. I anticipate FM will actually be activated in software at some point. That would be crazy not to have it.
3) SiriusXM - I heard that it's confirmed there is no SiriusXM antenna on the Model 3. In that case, it would be really great if we could stream it over LTE!
4) Waze - Oh how this would be amazing! I use waze allll the time. I don't particularly think it's better than any other NAV, but it's necessary for the traffic/police reports! It reroutes around traffic better than anything out there! Without this, it's gonna be really annoying to look down at my phone all the time. There have been rumors for some time about tesla adding this, but so far no word.
5) web browser for yelp and other useful tools

Hope Tesla is listening! It'd be really disappointing to not have the channels I listen to most often on my new car.

TrevP

TOO Founder / Administrator
Founder
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
The main things to remember here is that they're using a new CPU for the onboard MCU on Model 3, it's an Intel x86 architecture. On Model S and X they're using an NVIDIA ARM Tegra series. Porting over software and drivers is taking some time.

Also, AM radio is not present on the Model X either due to too much interference from the AC motors. Event he BMW i3 doesn't have AM radio because of the same issue. Tesla does offer AM radio streaming however to get around that problem.

Yeah Waze would be awesome but that's owned by Google and would require significant development time and effort, maybe even licensing, to implement. Tesla has priorities and that's not one of them. AP 2 is way behind schedule so you can imagine most of their efforts are behind that getting the Model3 software finished.

roflwaffle

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Switching between multiple sources (terrestrial FM, streaming FM, USB, and whatever else they have) should be relatively straightforward. There might be some delay if different sources require different players, but it's straightforward to set up.

I'm hoping for bluetooth streaming/controls, so I can just pair whatever device (eg small arm board with a bunch of songs and maybe SDR (software defined radio) that can be controlled from the steering wheel/screen.

I do like Waze for traffic routing, but the ads are getting a little ridiculous at this point. They're also lagging behind other nav apps like OsmAnd in the interface/feature department.

Last edited:

M3OC Rules

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The main things to remember here is that they're using a new CPU for the onboard MCU on Model 3, it's an Intel x86 architecture. On Model S and X they're using an NVIDIA ARM Tegra series. Porting over software and drivers is taking some time.
I agree that's a lot of work but don't they have the S and X on the 2.5 hardware now and isn't the Intel processor in that hardware or do we think there are two versions of the 2.5 hardware?

Last edited:

roflwaffle

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Isn't the MCU separate from the AP 2.5 hardware? Maybe not though.

In terms of porting the software, my experience is that x86_64 tends to be better supported than arm, but new drivers from the manufacturer (usually binary blobs) can be aggravating regardless of arch.

Petra

Country
Country
I know, I know... Tesla isn't done with their software yet. I'm still holding out hope that many of the media features I've come to expect and/or hope for in cars will be fully functional by the time it goes out to the general public.

That being said, there are still a lot of features that would be very disappointing to be missing on a $60K car.

1) AM radio - Tunein is a good alternative, but it just doesn't offer everything plain old AM radio has. Two of the main stations I listen to during my commute is an iheartradio exclusive. Maybe just maybe they'll add that app as well!? I'm not sure if this would be possible, but ideally there would be a seamless integration where you can easily jump between channels on the steering wheel controls regardless of the input source. (ex: Jump to one AM station on tune-in, jump to a different AM station on iheartradio, jump to an FM station, jump to XM station... etc)
2) FM radio - similar to the above. I anticipate FM will actually be activated in software at some point. That would be crazy not to have it.
3) SiriusXM - I heard that it's confirmed there is no SiriusXM antenna on the Model 3. In that case, it would be really great if we could stream it over LTE!
4) Waze - Oh how this would be amazing! I use waze allll the time. I don't particularly think it's better than any other NAV, but it's necessary for the traffic/police reports! It reroutes around traffic better than anything out there! Without this, it's gonna be really annoying to look down at my phone all the time. There have been rumors for some time about tesla adding this, but so far no word.
5) web browser for yelp and other useful tools

Hope Tesla is listening! It'd be really disappointing to not have the channels I listen to most often on my new car.
Eh, meaningful phone and app integration has been on the wish list for the Model S for years now... so, I'm not holding my breath on that front.

As for your other points:
1) As Trev mentioned, there's no AM on the Model X, it doesn't work great in the S (in my limited tinkering with the radio functions), and there are other EVs lacking AM radio as well. I don't expect AM radio to make an appearance on the Model 3. Yes, there's a lot that could be done to improve the media playback experience (see my opening comment).
2) FM radio should show up via software update at some point, or so I'd expect.
3) People use Sirius? I just wish they'd stop sending me junk mail about activating Sirius in cars I sold years ago...
4) See my opening comment.
5) Oh, there's no web browser in the Model 3 yet? Interesting. I'm not sure whether that's an improvement over the S/X's dumpster fire of a browser... ;)

M3OC Rules

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Isn't the MCU separate from the AP 2.5 hardware? Maybe not though.

In terms of porting the software, my experience is that x86_64 tends to be better supported than arm, but new drivers from the manufacturer (usually binary blobs) can be aggravating regardless of arch.
This from Electek shows a diagram that says they integrated for thermal management(separate electrically for security I think) but I'm not sure if anyone has verified it.

TesLou

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'll be happy if I can just find a good non-window phone mount for the 3.
Same same. I’m patiently waiting to see a video with a phone mounted in the console (the Tesla OEM mounting position) to see the visibility factor in terms of the driver perspective.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
5) Oh, there's no web browser in the Model 3 yet? Interesting. I'm not sure whether that's an improvement over the S/X's dumpster fire of a browser... ;)
there has been no evidence there would be a web browser in the 3.
one theory, which seems quite likely, is that most all of the Model S/X bug bounty's have been security issues found thru the browser. Seems if they really want to ensure the cars have less chance of being hacked, eliminating the most likely path to it, that also is a dumpster fire in its own right, would be the way to go.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have a very different viewpoint.

I think Tesla’s UI is fantastic and the last thing I would want is something like Waze on the screen. Also it’s the last thing Tesla would want. Now that said, I do like Waze for the audible alerts.

My plan is to exclusively run Apple Music via Bluetooth audio and then run Waze as well. I get to keep my phone tucked away in the dock/cradle area and I get everything.

Nice UI for Maps from Tesla.

Audible alerts from Waze.

Music from Apple Music. I’m positive the steering wheel controls will be functional for the iPhone and there is always “Hey Siri...” as well.

Whether Tesla has the app you want or not, you can always run it on your phone... using iheartradio as the example.

I would agree the car should have FM though I’ll definitely never use it :)

voip-ninja

Country
Country
Personally I would've happier if they provided standard CarPlay and Android Auto which solves most of these problems.

As of right now Tesla doesn't even offer iPod integration for music playback control. Something that has been on most cars now for approaching a decade.

ng0

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

Also, AM radio is not present on the Model X either due to too much interference from the AC motors. Event he BMW i3 doesn't have AM radio because of the same issue. Tesla does offer AM radio streaming however to get around that problem.

Yeah Waze would be awesome but that's owned by Google and would require significant development time and effort, maybe even licensing, to implement. Tesla has priorities and that's not one of them. AP 2 is way behind schedule so you can imagine most of their efforts are behind that getting the Model3 software finished.
Great points! I really hope a lot of the delay has to do with the porting over of software and drivers, but we still don't know how much functionality is missing (if any). I know companies are starting to drop AM, but if they do, I'd hope they would have something more than just tune-in as an AM streaming alternative. Like I said, they need to at least add iheartradio since many of the stations are exclusive to that.

If they're currently using google maps, I'd hope that google would let them integrate waze into their cars as well.

ng0

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have a very different viewpoint.

I think Tesla’s UI is fantastic and the last thing I would want is something like Waze on the screen. Also it’s the last thing Tesla would want. Now that said, I do like Waze for the audible alerts.

My plan is to exclusively run Apple Music via Bluetooth audio and then run Waze as well. I get to keep my phone tucked away in the dock/cradle area and I get everything.

Nice UI for Maps from Tesla.

Audible alerts from Waze.

Music from Apple Music. I’m positive the steering wheel controls will be functional for the iPhone and there is always “Hey Siri...” as well.

Whether Tesla has the app you want or not, you can always run it on your phone... using iheartradio as the example.

I would agree the car should have FM though I’ll definitely never use it :)
I agree that the waze audible alerts are most important, but it would be really awkward to have to look down to get the details about what it's alerting you to. I'd rather use one nav rather than have a useless one on my screen and the one i use every day on my phone that's down where it's not convenient to look at.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
We have known there would be no over the air AM radio since the specs were released in July. That is not going to change or be added, so get used to the idea of tunein (or other apps over your phone) for whatever you are looking for on AM broadcasts.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Personally I would've happier if they provided standard CarPlay and Android Auto which solves most of these problems.

As of right now Tesla doesn't even offer iPod integration for music playback control. Something that has been on most cars now for approaching a decade.
Have you ever used CarPlay? I discontinued it in my car, I felt it was pretty poor. Similar to my first reply, I would say Tesla would be crazy to give up screen real estate to Apple or Android.

I agree that the waze audible alerts are most important, but it would be really awkward to have to look down to get the details about what it's alerting you to. I'd rather use one nav rather than have a useless one on my screen and the one i use every day on my phone that's down where it's not convenient to look at.
I hear you -- the Waze audible alerts are great, but to me the UI is clunky. The Nav UI on the Tesla with high quality images is too nice to cover up :)

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If they're currently using google maps, I'd hope that google would let them integrate waze into their cars as well.
Traffic from waze is already in google maps, and expect that is the data that tesla is pulling into their nav system. What in waze are you thinking will be missing from the tesla nav/traffic?

Disclaimer, I use waze every time I get in my car (sound off). If commuting so I know when I will arrive, if going somewhere unfamiliar for the navigation. Most always for traffic. If that traffic info is ported over to the tesla nav from google maps, which is fed from waze, I have no issue dropping waze on day one of driving the Model 3.
Our distracted driver laws are very high profile right now in both OR and WA (where I mostly drive) and you can not touch a device at all while on a public street. Stopped in traffic, at a light, or 70mph are all ticketed. So I don’t care about the alerts or comments in waze, just the arrival time.

voip-ninja

Country
Country
Have you ever used CarPlay? I discontinued it in my car, I felt it was pretty poor. Similar to my first reply, I would say Tesla would be crazy to give up screen real estate to Apple or Android.

I hear you -- the Waze audible alerts are great, but to me the UI is clunky. The Nav UI on the Tesla with high quality images is too nice to cover up :)
Yes, I have CarPlay in one of our cars and have used it on quite a few rental cars. CarPlay is pretty handy when a manufacturer fails to do proper iPhone media playback, gives you access to all of your apps like Spotify via the CarPlay interface and makes it possible to listen to and respond to text messages.

I would say it's not great, but something like 10X better than anything Tesla does currently for phone integration in their cars.

The sticking point would be giving up the full screen to the CarPlay or AA interfaces but I imagine Tesla would be able to work with Apple & Google to solve their objections on that. CarPlay already is allowed to run behind the manufacturers interface and is brought back with a single icon to the forefront.

I think this is more about Tesla not wanting to give up a source of possible revenue and cede ground in the automobile to competitors.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Traffic from waze is already in google maps, and expect that is the data that tesla is pulling into their nav system. What in waze are you thinking will be missing from the tesla nav/traffic?

Disclaimer, I use waze every time I get in my car (sound off). If commuting so I know when I will arrive, if going somewhere unfamiliar for the navigation. Most always for traffic. If that traffic info is ported over to the tesla nav from google maps, which is fed from waze, I have no issue dropping waze on day one of driving the Model 3.
Our distracted driver laws are very high profile right now in both OR and WA (where I mostly drive) and you can not touch a device at all while on a public street. Stopped in traffic, at a light, or 70mph are all ticketed. So I don’t care about the alerts or comments in waze, just the arrival time.
I'm with you! The Tesla (using Google) should provide the same ETA for navigation.

I want Waze audible alerts primary for police :)

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yes, I have CarPlay in one of our cars and have used it on quite a few rental cars. CarPlay is pretty handy when a manufacturer fails to do proper iPhone media playback, gives you access to all of your apps like Spotify via the CarPlay interface and makes it possible to listen to and respond to text messages.

I would say it's not great, but something like 10X better than anything Tesla does currently for phone integration in their cars.

The sticking point would be giving up the full screen to the CarPlay or AA interfaces but I imagine Tesla would be able to work with Apple & Google to solve their objections on that. CarPlay already is allowed to run behind the manufacturers interface and is brought back with a single icon to the forefront.

I think this is more about Tesla not wanting to give up a source of possible revenue and cede ground in the automobile to competitors.
Your last sentence is possible true. The other way I see it though is that part of the Tesla wow factor is the 17" screen in S/X and the 15" screen in 3 literally being everything. Giving away a portion of the screen that is everything is tough.

With steering wheel controls for audio and "Hey Siri..." for everything else though you should be more than covered by Tesla's UI. I was quick to disable CarPlay in my car. It was unstable but worse yet just sloppy I thought.