Anyone waiting on AWD tempted to go for Performance?

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Cid

Country
Country
Now that Performance includes PU, I'm wondering if anyone else was tempted to pay $9K more for the Performance model?

3Model3s

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Have a 3P+, AWD and #3 to be MR/RWD. Must admit, since having the 3P+ & AWD for ~2 months, changing the MR to P3 is tempting.

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
No temptation after giving it fair consideration. I don’t go to drag strips or race courses. I don’t drive crazy on the roads. Shaving ~1 second off 0-60mph isn’t very relevant in my life. And 4.5s is more than FAST enough when I otherwise wouldn’t consider spending over $30K for something that is a means of transportation. I think the performance is bad ass and enjoy watching videos of them racing but wouldn’t pay for it.

Lightrod

Country
Country
It is very tempting considering the upgraded wheel package you get with the performance package is now included in the cost. If I did not already have a delivery date set for my MSM/AWD, I think I would switch.

jasonm163

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I considered it but didn't want to spend more than 60k and my white on white LR AWD is just a tad over. I'm hoping they will offer the performance upgrade software in a gear or two and then I'll purchase.

Frog

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Stuck with the same dreaded question and cannot find the answer ;-) Configurator still open for some weeks I guess (european here).
Telling myself that with the extra money, I could get 4 rims/winter tires set + some aftermarket stuffs + etc... Buying a +70K car ? Really ?
But on the other hand, these 10K won"t change my life... YOLO...

FRC

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I've been driving a P3D for 8K miles now, and I love it. However, if you have any doubt, settle for awd. The opportunities to enjoy or need faster acceleration are scarce. Besides, that rush is brief and minimal. Save the bucks and go for an occasional test drive in the P3D!

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Reservation
I had an all-wheel-drive ordered but changed my mind to Performance right before delivery. Could have had all wheel drive in a matter of days but now it's been weeks and I still have no idea when I'm going to get my car. Maybe I should have just accepted the all-wheel drive.

MartyF

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model Y
I certainly appreciate the value of the Performance Model 3 (and would love to have one). However, in our case the wife & I purchased a Model 3 non-P/AWD and are very happy with it. We ultimately decided to apply the savings toward the new Jeanneau power boat we had been wanting. For us, it’s having the best of both worlds. :cool:

Last edited:

JeffC

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I had an all-wheel-drive ordered but changed my mind to Performance right before delivery. Could have had all wheel drive in a matter of days but now it's been weeks and I still have no idea when I'm going to get my car. Maybe I should have just accepted the all-wheel drive.
Originally I was going to get the first production LR single motor since it's the most efficient, and I wanted the efficiency for road trips. But after test driving the Model S P100DL and Model 3 Performance, I had to get the Performance. Obviously Model 3 is not as quick as Model S, but it feels more agile being nearly 1000 pounds (450 kg) lighter.

The main thing I liked about the Performance versions is the ease of movement that comes from dual motors and high power controllers. Even at low power, the car moves with almost no effort, particularly in a straight line. In turns, the slightly greater mass of the car compared to say a BMW 3 series can be felt at times, even with the excellent Tesla suspension design, and extremely low center of gravity. But in general, the car moves extremely competently and easily.

I don't at all regret spending the extra money, and I paid the largest difference since I had to pay for the Performance Upgrade Option for the larger wheels, brake and suspension upgrade. I did however also get lifetime Supercharging included, which will be great for road trips (but only pays for itself if I use Supercharging pretty often, or take a lot of road trips). Also got the free premium connectivity. All of these were due to ordering relatively early, which of course helped Tesla with earlier revenue.

Bottom line: love the car. It's incredibly well done and drives extremely well. The automation, performance, comfort, luxury, updates, styling, user interface, etc., are excellent. A good argument can be made that it's the best sedan anyone has ever built.

And the non-Performance Model 3s are arguably better cars than the BMW 3 series they compete against: quieter, quicker, smoother, better styled, better automation, excellent driving feel, etc.

Last edited:

Aspec818

Country
Country
I had a LR AWD and recently upgraded to the P. If you're not going to be tracking the car, I think the P is overkill. The LR AWD is as fast as you'll ever need in the roads. The speed difference is mainly felt in lower speeds. And the rush is brief in public roads. If you have the money, go for the upgrade but I personally feel the LR AWD is the best balance of performance and value.

COM3

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I was planning on upgrading from LR AWD to Performance in a couple of months. (at least partially for a tax break for 2019).
With the price change, I'm guessing my trade-in value just tanked. Of course, the Performance model also got cheaper, so I'll have to run the numbers.

Johnston

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I was planning on upgrading from LR AWD to Performance in a couple of months. (at least partially for a tax break for 2019).
With the price change, I'm guessing my trade-in value just tanked. Of course, the Performance model also got cheaper, so I'll have to run the numbers.
Are the cost difference between AWD and P different now than before? I'm seeing $11,000 difference, that seems way too high a number to be tempting.

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Reservation
According to the revised ordering site, my performance model is now $2,900.00 cheaper. My contact guy at Tesla texted me that the new pricing will be reflected when I get my documents. Still hoping to have my 2019 car by mid March.