Anyone needed an alignment?

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Has anyone needed a front end alignment ? Had the car about 3 weeks and have 389 miles on it. Drove perfectly until Tuesday. Drove down a pretty rough street (Meandering Way in North Dallas for anyone local) and now it pulls to the right pretty bad. It is a normal residential street in Dallas, but it is rough, beats me up in the pickup for sure. I wasn't driving, was following behind in my pickup, we were taking it slow. I only take this street when the other two major roads are backed up getting home because it's that rough. Didn't think it was rough enough to mess up an alignment though.

To say the least after driving that 2 miles the car pulls to the right and unless something was a tad loose I would not have expected this to knock it out of alignment. About to call the SC to make an appointment to have it checked.

Rich M

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yup, I needed an alignment. Steering wheel was 1 inch or so to the left but did not pull to one side or anything. Alignment showed 3 wheels were in the red, however, on at least one metric. They put it on the alignment rack twice to get it right, as they said it was the first 3 they had in for the issue.
All good now.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks for the followup. I have an appointment at 4:15 today and going to go ahead and let them take a look, but after getting to drive it myself this weekend and today I truly don't think there is any kind of problem, partner just got a little paranoid after driving such a rough road. It pulls ever so slightly on city streets, but that is pretty normal due to road curvature. I'm thinking at this point there is no problem, but will have it checked out. The steering wheel is about as straight as it can get and this wouldn't have been a factory problem on this car, but if it is slightly out of alignment and it happened just due to a very rough city street then I just want to make sure everything is nice and tight and in good shape.

Vidya

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
After my steering rack was replaced recently (due to some other problem). Tesla employee told that the current version of steering racks have self-adjusting alignment. so I doubt anyone need manual alignment for their M3s

BigBri

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Have my second alignment scheduled at the SC this Wednesday. Has been maybe 70 days since the last one. Noticed wheel is off 10-15 degrees and it's pulling to the right a tad when the wheel is centered. Hopefully this fixes it for good. The alignment is under warranty but 500km roundtrip sucks to the SC.

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country
After my steering rack was replaced recently (due to some other problem). Tesla employee told that the current version of steering racks have self-adjusting alignment. so I doubt anyone need manual alignment for their M3s
I know it sounds funny, but........

I've noticed when driving with EAP on the 401 with a massive crosswind, the steering wheel still tracks straight ahead.

The first time I noticed this was when I realized there was a crosswind based on where all the trucks were tracking in their lanes and by the large Canada flags at the Husky stations.

I was told after I had my front alignment done (was 3 weeks into ownership, steering wheel was always at 11 o'clock) that the SC had to confirm the alignment with xx amount of kilometers using EAP.

Who knows?

Country
Country
As soon as I got my car, I took off on a long road trip. On the highway, the car had a slight-but-noticeable pull to the right. I figured it was either alignment, or tires. (Yes faulty tires can also cause a pull.)

But, by the end of the trip, the pull was gone. The car tracked straight. Never having had a "pull" self-correct before, I was mystified, but I wondered whether Tesla had somehow created a self-aligning car in support of the Enhanced-Auto-Pilot...

So my personal experience would tend to confirm what you were told.