Anyone mount SunPass Mini Transponder on the Model 3 sunroof?

tesla m3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I don't like stuff in the front window, it just looks bad. Was thinking that with the glass sunroof on the Model 3, it might work well in the roof. I just don't want to attach it and hope it works, would prefer confirmation first from someone more knowledgeable.

tesla m3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I see this guy has it mounted there. Much better than the windshield. Even better if you paint or plasti-dip the transponder as others on this forum have.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=eACNr9nWC2U&t=191s
That's actually a great spot, driver won't see it, and rear passengers can't see it.

As long as the transponder still functions, then that's where i'm going to put mine

shareef777

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Just an idea, but I don’t even mount mine. At least here in IL I registered my plates to the transponder and get charged by plate scans.

FogNoggin

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Just an idea, but I don’t even mount mine. At least here in IL I registered my plates to the transponder and get charged by plate scans.
That's the direction many states are headed, including mine, but until then I've got to have it. Also, consider other states you may pass through that are far from a plate-scan system.

JasonF

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Florida does have toll-by-plate, but it's not eligible for discounts.

FYI, I have the sticker variant of the transponder.

Attachments

FogNoggin

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Florida does have toll-by-plate, but it's not eligible for discounts. FYI, I have the sticker variant of the transponder.
Oh great, we just figured out a way to put the transponder out of site and now we have to contend with a sticker! :mad:;)

JasonF

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Quoting myself because I just looked that up. I thought Florida had toll-by-plate, but according to a Google search I just did, they don't anymore - Sunpass removed all the references to it from their web site. Now they appear to treat it like a "toll violation" instead, and they send you a bill in the mail.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

FYI, I have the sticker variant of the transponder.
Here's a fun fact -- once you have a SunPass, if it fails then they charge you by plate at the discounted SunPass rate. Lots of cars (see Model S) have coating on the windshield that renders the toll pass useless in some scenarios.

I love this thread and I'm going to move mine to the back of the sunroof!

Frully

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm always curious since many toll sites don't believe there is a country attached to the USA....

When I went to washington we used several toll lanes repeatedly - plate scan variants...but I'm from Canada and didn't register my plate in their system. They obviously haven't sent me a bill in months so I'm curious how bad of a ****-list I'm on now. Happy to pay the 2 dollars but I'm not setting up an account for an every-few-years road trip.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Quoting myself because I just looked that up. I thought Florida had toll-by-plate, but according to a Google search I just did, they don't anymore - Sunpass removed all the references to it from their web site. Now they appear to treat it like a "toll violation" instead, and they send you a bill in the mail.
Actually, as long as the license plate is registered to your Sunpass account, they just deduct the toll from your balance. No bill. That's what happened to me anyway.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
With the Model 3 having such a clean look up front, I immediately nixed the idea of mounting my EZ Pass anywhere that it could spoil the view. At first, I did just place it way up front in the center, on top of the fabric, but that ended in disaster when the velcro hooks, attached to the transponder, hooked the fabric aggresively and pulled up some threads when I removed it. Don't repeat that mistake! I ended up mounting the transponder all the way forward on the glass roof, in the center, where it is never within view. Works like a charm.

Greg Appelt

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I took delivery last Tuesday and haven't put a transponder on yet. My plates are linked to my account. Took the same tolls as i usually do. I checked my charges and they're the same rate as when I used the transponder.