Anyone know what the small speaker under the glove box is used for?

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

suprteck

Country
Country
I have a noise coming from the speaker under the glovebox when the car is off and not playing any music. When I unplug the speaker it goes away. Anyone know what this speaker is used for?

samson

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have a noise coming from the speaker under the glovebox when the car is off and not playing any music. When I unplug the speaker it goes away. Anyone know what this speaker is used for?
Probably for door chimes and warnings

Dogwhistle

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It seems to be a backup speaker for when the normal system can’t operate. I notice this if I’m driving and do a two-thumb MCU reset, and then disengage autopilot while the screen is black. I get midi-sounding autopilot sounds coming from the right footwell that are definitely not the normal source.

iluvmacs

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yeah, I noticed that speaker when I did footwell light replacements. How strange! Couldn't figure out what it was for. But Dogwhistle's post is a good explanation.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Well I got tired of hearing that static/hissing pink noise coming from it when I'm sitting in the car with no music playing so I just unplugged it for now.
Was it hard to unplug? I took a look and it's way back there in the corner. I'm having the same issue. Sometimes I'll drive for an hour and won't hear it, and then the next time it won't shut off from one destination to the next. Very annoying, given the extremely high pitch.

UPDATE: I found a video about the cabin air filter location and found it referenced there. I think I'll unplug it for now also. It's driving me crazy... o_O

Last edited:

Ingineer

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yes, this is the backup autopilot sound speaker. If the normal sound system in the ICE is offline for any reason, it can be driven directly from the APE (Autopilot ECU). So when rebooting the ICE with the scroll wheels you will hear it if AP needs to sound an alert. Note that unplugging the emergency speaker generates a fault that's reported to Tesla.

lance.bailey

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
if you are hearing any odd or annoying sounds from the speaker (or any other part of the car) it's a problem that should be solved with a call to service, not by unplugging the offending/noisy item.

Small children in the back seats excepted - they are your problem.