Anyone in Madison, WI want to let ProClip USA take a look at your Model 3?

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

ng0

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Hi all,

ProClip USA makes some really fantastic cell phone mounts and it'd be great if someone in or near Madison, WI would let them check out your Model 3 so hopefully they can design and release a cell phone mount closer to eye level at some point. I'm not sure if this will be at all possible or realistic, but it's worth a shot!

Thanks!

jsmay311

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
I rented a Model 3 last weekend. I was really disappointed with the built-in phone dock.
  • Doesn't work with a phone case (except for maybe a super slim case and/or with modifications to the dock/cable)
  • It's uncomfortably far away from the driver -- I could barely reach my phone's screen with a fully outstretched arm without leaning forward in my seat
  • The phone is angled too high up -- it's aimed more at the ceiling than at the driver/passenger. (I can live with it not being angled to the side, but that's a negative too.)
  • When the cover on adjacent storage area is closed, the cover blocks your view of the charging cable plugs, so you can't easily align it with the charge port on your phone when trying to plug it in. Makes it more difficult/annoying.
For all these reasons, I hope ProClip USA comes out with a mount. I've used them for years and they're great. But I bet the Model 3 will be uniquely tough for them since the dash is so simplified and the screen takes up so much space -- it might be tough to find a good spot to mount a dock.

Edit: Now that I think about it, it might be easy enough to just drill holes into the Model 3's phone dock itself and bolt a ProClip USA phone holder (with swivel, like this one) directly onto that plastic piece without even needing a Model3-specific mount. I think that might solve every one of my complaints. (You wouldn't be able to close the cover and hide your phone cuz it would stick up too high, but I don't imagine I'd ever want to do that anyway.)

(Side note: I wish Tesla would show the public what the non-PUP center console area will look like so we can assess things like phone docking.)

Last edited:

ng0

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I rented a Model 3 last weekend. I was really disappointed with the built-in phone dock.
  • Doesn't work with a phone case (except for maybe a super slim case and/or with modifications to the dock/cable)
  • It's uncomfortably far away from the driver -- I could barely reach my phone's screen with a fully outstretched arm without leaning forward in my seat
  • The phone is angled too high up -- it's aimed more at the ceiling than at the driver/passenger. (I could live with it not being angled to the side, but that's a negative too.)
  • When the cover on adjacent storage area is closed, the cover blocks your view of the charging cable plugs, so you can't easily align it with the charge port on your phone with trying to plug it in. Makes it more difficult/annoying.
For all these reasons, I hope ProClip USA comes out with a mount. I've used them for years and they're great. But I bet the Model 3 will be uniquely tough for them since the dash is so simplified and the screen takes up so much space -- it might be tough to find a good spot to mount a dock.
yea, I can imagine this will be an issue for many people. Not having a good place to mount your phone is really a big oversight in my opinion. For now I bought a couple of the fastpad wireless chargers and plan on using those in my car. This should solve at least a few of the issues, but the phone will still be out of reach and out of direct eyesight. Hopefully someone on here from Madison, WI or surrounding areas can sync up with ProClip USA to get something going.