Anyone else interested in an exhaust note app?

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

3V Pilot

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I’ve been listening to road car, race car, track car, motorcycle, race motorcycle, prop and jet aircraft exhaustnoise my whole life. Not to mention way to loud music and concerts. 30-40% upper range hearing loss and tinnitus because of it. The LAST thing I want in my first EV is fake exhaust sound!!!
I totally agree with all the above and have been exposed to all those noises (except the race motorcycle) but I'll add 4 years in the field artillery, 30 years of helicopters, and 15 years of being a firearms instructor. I think I've had enough noise in my life! Although I will have an engine noise app on my phone and when I give people a ride for the first time it'll be fun to have it on for the first mile or so then turn it off. I think it will demonstrate how truly nice a silence can be, plus it will be interesting to see the reaction from people who think the engine "died" but the car still accelerates.

Ken Voss

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
See the image of a yellow car on the left? That is a 500HP supercharged ICE with straight side pipes. When I want to make noise I will take that out for a joy ride.

One of the EV features that appeals to me is silence. The M3 will be a daily driver, I will be getting 18" wheels in part because they will generate less road noise. No thank you, I am not interested in introducing any additional noise

Sandy

One obsession to the next
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I totally agree with all the above and have been exposed to all those noises (except the race motorcycle) but I'll add 4 years in the field artillery, 30 years of helicopters, and 15 years of being a firearms instructor. I think I've had enough noise in my life! Although I will have an engine noise app on my phone and when I give people a ride for the first time it'll be fun to have it on for the first mile or so then turn it off. I think it will demonstrate how truly nice a silence can be, plus it will be interesting to see the reaction from people who think the engine "died" but the car still accelerates.
Cool! Oh ya, I forgot about the firearm noise. I do double plug at the range however.

3V Pilot

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Cool! Oh ya, I forgot about the firearm noise. I do double plug at the range however.
Yes, inner ear plugs and outer ear muff with electronics are a great way to go. Very similar to the new helmets we just got, they have ANR built in and supposedly you don't need inner ear protection anymore. However I still wear my inner ear protection AKA headphones, because hey, it's the best way to make sure my music is not interrupted by those pesky traffic calls from ATC!

3V Pilot

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
See the image of a yellow car on the left? That is a 500HP supercharged ICE with straight side pipes. When I want to make noise I will take that out for a joy ride.

One of the EV features that appeals to me is silence. The M3 will be a daily driver, I will be getting 18" wheels in part because they will generate less road noise. No thank you, I am not interested in introducing any additional noise
Kenn, that thing is TOO cool. You need to post a video of how much noise that engine can make. Just one question, is it strictly a straight line car or will that thing actually go around a corner without flipping over?

Frully

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Also of note, this product exists for ICE cars - plugs into the 12V socket and reads the alternator noise to guess the rpm - then transmits audio over FM so you can fake it.
...if you can get the car telemetry then having a tesla one would be fun - as others mention specifically for the spaceship sounds.

3V Pilot

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Also of note, this product exists for ICE cars - plugs into the 12V socket and reads the alternator noise to guess the rpm - then transmits audio over FM so you can fake it.
...if you can get the car telemetry then having a tesla one would be fun - as others mention specifically for the spaceship sounds.
There is an app that uses the phone accelerometer to simulate engine sounds. On Google Playstore it's called "XLR8". Not sure if there is an iPhone version but it should make any Tesla sound like an old fashioned ICE mobile!