Anyone else in LA getting jerked around on delivery/VIN assignment??

wayne skiles

Country
Country
Okay I was early invite. was given a VIN about 10 days ago
I had it only for a day. then it was pulled from My tesla acct.
was told via phone it was because it had to be
delivered in marina del rey so they had assign new Vin
would be a "few days" they can still give no idea when new vin will be assigned!
anybody else experiencing this round around???????

danzgator

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
Just about everyone I've spoken to that's configured is not getting answers. Either they can't get a response on a delivery date, production date, or VIN. It doesn't appear like Tesla has sent out any invites or assigned VIN's since 12/8/17. Odd for the last few weeks of the quarter when you'd assume they would be ramping up deliveries ASAP.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
was told via phone it was because it had to be
delivered in marina del rey so they had assign new Vin
This really makes it sound like they're just producing cars in various configs, shipping them to delivery centers, and only at that point trying to match them to specific customer orders. Interesting.

Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This really makes it sound like they're just producing cars in various configs, shipping them to delivery centers, and only at that point trying to match them to specific customer orders. Interesting.
The "build it first, match it later" approach to early Model 3 production has always made a lot of sense to me, so I wouldn't be too surprised if that's what Tesla is actually doing now that production is starting to ramp up.

If they are indeed taking this approach, then a VIN assignment conflict (i.e. the same VIN being matched/assigned to two different customers) would explain @wayne skiles 's situation. It would also suggest that he *should* receive a new VIN as soon as the next car matching his configuration rolls off the line.

Additionally, the very existence of a VIN assignment conflict would suggest that the VIN assignment process itself is not fully automated yet. Given all the hand-scrawled VINs we've seen on the paperwork of Model 3s awaiting delivery, this wouldn't surprise me at all.

(Note to Tesla: I'm happy to help you bridge any software gaps that you may have in your internal systems, in exchange for receiving employee-level priority for my Model 3. :))

ahagge

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I agree, and moreover it sounds like maybe they've modified their delivery process in the past few days - possibly from assigning the VINs at the factory to assigning them at the delivery center. And a few buyers got VINs just before they made the switch, so they got yanked away from them and haven't yet been reassigned by the delivery center.

Frankly, I'm really glad I'm not a Tesla delivery center employee right now - it's gotta be real chaos trying to figure out how to deliveries most efficiently - on the fly... :rolleyes:

chojn1

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The owners who were invited before Thanksgiving (11/21 & 11/22) will probably all receive their cars in the next two weeks probably starting next Monday - within their four weeks estimate. Looks like they are trying to optimize efficiency in the logistic of delivering all those cars. When you receive your VIN won't matter much once you get your car.

I am also hoping the next set of invites goes out tomorrow.

NJ3

Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
The owners who were invited before Thanksgiving (11/21 & 11/22) will probably all receive their cars in the next two weeks probably starting next Monday - within their four weeks estimate. Looks like they are trying to optimize efficiency in the logistic of delivering all those cars. When you receive your VIN won't matter much once you get your car.

I am also hoping the next set of invites goes out tomorrow.
Do you think the next batch of invites will go out tomorrow even though there was a 2 week gap between the other batch of invites?

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
I said it before...Tesla is stacking the deliveries for the last week to be able to say they met their ramp goal and produced and delivered 1000 vehicles in the last week of 2017. Good PR.

chojn1

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Do you think the next batch of invites will go out tomorrow even though there was a 2 week gap between the other batch of invites?
There were two days of invites in November for December delivery.
So far there have been two days of invites in December for January delivery.
Unless January delivery is the same as December, there will be more invites this month.
How many more will indicate how well the ramp is going.
I am hoping for at least 2 more days this week and maybe 2 more days the next week.

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
The "build it first, match it later" approach to early Model 3 production has always made a lot of sense to me, so I wouldn't be too surprised if that's what Tesla is actually doing now that production is starting to ramp up.

If they are indeed taking this approach, then a VIN assignment conflict (i.e. the same VIN being matched/assigned to two different customers) would explain @wayne skiles 's situation. It would also suggest that he *should* receive a new VIN as soon as the next car matching his configuration rolls off the line.

Additionally, the very existence of a VIN assignment conflict would suggest that the VIN assignment process itself is not fully automated yet. Given all the hand-scrawled VINs we've seen on the paperwork of Model 3s awaiting delivery, this wouldn't surprise me at all.

(Note to Tesla: I'm happy to help you bridge any software gaps that you may have in your internal systems, in exchange for receiving employee-level priority for my Model 3. :))
Bokonon

That makes absolutely no sense. What is the point of an order? With only wheels and color to be chosen at this point, why not just tell the next buyer in line here is what we have available or we can wait list you for "next available" in your choice of color. They could just as easily make wheel swaps available at delivery centers charging or crediting the difference at delivery.

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
I agree, and moreover it sounds like maybe they've modified their delivery process in the past few days - possibly from assigning the VINs at the factory to assigning them at the delivery center. And a few buyers got VINs just before they made the switch, so they got yanked away from them and haven't yet been reassigned by the delivery center.

Frankly, I'm really glad I'm not a Tesla delivery center employee right now - it's gotta be real chaos trying to figure out how to deliveries most efficiently - on the fly... :rolleyes:
Not only is it chaos, it creates distrust among buyers. Place an order in November to find out your car was built in October. So you really bought from inventory. You did not custom order your car. You just sent in your option list. So why the $3500 non-refundable deposit?

Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Bokonon

That makes absolutely no sense. What is the point of an order? With only wheels and color to be chosen at this point, why not just tell the next buyer in line here is what we have available or we can wait list you for "next available" in your choice of color. They could just as easily make wheel swaps available at delivery centers charging or crediting the difference at delivery.
I can't tell whether you mean "order" as in "purchase agreement", or "order" as in "sequence", but either way, I think you've already answered the question for yourself.

If the only manufacturing variables right now are color and wheels, there are only a handful of possible configurations to order and produce. Tesla has a backlog of hundreds of thousands of reservations, and has stated that the reservation-holders will be invited to place orders according to geography and ownership status (rather than in the exact order in which the reservations were made). Put simply: there are thousands of buyers for each and every car that rolls off the line. Therefore, there is no reason for Tesla to produce cars in any particular sequence other than the one that optimizes for manufacturing efficiency first, and fulfilling the current ordering pool (as a whole) second.

That is why, for all intents and purposes, the process of configuring "your" car is an illusion, much like the notion of there being a sequential "line" of buyers.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Not only is it chaos, it creates distrust among buyers. Place an order in November to find out your car was built in October. So you really bought from inventory. You did not custom order your car. You just sent in your option list. So why the $3500 non-refundable deposit?
No one ever said that the non-refundable deposit represented a custom order. I can't think of anyone that would be upset to find out their car was produced before they gave their deposit ... everyone just wants their car.

The way I see it -- the deposit confirms I am a serious buyer before Tesla commits to building a car or transporting an already built car to me. I take no issue with this...

Last edited:

TrevP

TOO Founder / Administrator
Founder
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
No one ever said that the non-refundable deposit represented a custom order. I can't think of anyone that would be upset to find out their car was produced before they gave their deposit ... everyone just wants their car.

The way I see it -- the deposit confirms I am a serious buyer before Tesla commits to building a car or transporting an already built car to me. I take no issue with this...
I agree wholeheartedly. I dont care if the car was built 2 or 3 months ago. The deposit is my commitment. If it arrived with unreasonable mileage that would be indicative of it not being new that’s another matter. It’s a car, not a loaf of bread

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
What is the point of an order?
To get a car. Otherwise, Tesla doesn't know that you want a car.
With only wheels and color to be chosen at this point, why not just tell the next buyer in line here is what we have available or we can wait list you for "next available" in your choice of color.
Because the buyer has stated exactly which color & wheels they want already. So Tesla provides this to them. This seems pretty straight-forward. Why are you trying to make this out to be some huge issue?
They could just as easily make wheel swaps available at delivery centers charging or crediting the difference at delivery.
What's the benefit? A buyer states exactly what options they want, and Tesla provides it. Your suggestion involves lots of additional communication (we have these colors now, do you want to switch?), and more work for technicians to swap wheels and tires. I don't see why you believe this would in any way be easier.

Not only is it chaos,
CHAOS! Human Sacrifice! Cats and dogs living together, MASS HYSTERIA!
it creates distrust among buyers.
I don't trust *any* of you other Model 3 buyers! I'm keeping my eye on you!!! o_O

wayne skiles

Country
Country
paid for configured before thanksgiving today they told me couldn't be sure if I will
get it this YEAR! Asked if I could pay as soon as vin
is assigned (would like to deduct sales tax in ca.
looks like wont be able to that next year with new
proposed tax law). They had NO IDEA......

Runt8

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
Guys, as I read this from afar and, with as much as 18 months to go before I can drive Midnight S≡R≡NITY, I can’t help wanting to remind all of you fine SoCal folk: what’s a few more weeks in the grand scheme of things... :D
I'm in Colorado and I thought the same thing...