Anyone Else Have This Weird Brake Issue?

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

JMZMartin

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Not too scary but odd moment yesterday. Was out running errands when I felt some slight vibrations from the front of my Model 3. I thought it was the terrible roads around here. Or me getting adjusted to being in a sport-like sedan vs years in an SUV.

A few minutes later I press the brakes and the pedal barely moves. On the highway. I slam the pedal down and my car slows a little. Unless I press it fully to the floor and basically stand on it my brakes don't work. Plus I hear a grinding, metal on metal noise. Then the brake alert icon pops up.

Switching to standard regenerative braking and chill acceleration kept me from hitting anything. But the brakes only worked with 3 - 4 times more applied force. Pulled into a nearby parking lot and turned off creep as well just in case. Curse words may have been said.

Rebooting the car didn't help. A full power down and restart as instructed by roadside assistance didn't fix things either.

When the towtruck driver showed up he said that locally he'd seen a few brake problems recently in our area though nothing like mine. He'd also not come across the grinding noise. But he heard it while loading up my car.

18 fun days with only a couple of minor issues that were to be addressed soon. This sucks. But it could have been much worse. I'd possibly say the different driving modes prevented an accident. I have to give due credit there.

Things have been good with my car. Sorry about the long post. But I'm a bit worried about the news I may get on Monday.

2pix

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I wonder if that's the failure one will experience with mis-installed brake clips. I had a squeaking coming from my rear brakes when I got mine but a co-worker pointed it out to me and Tesla rover came to my job had the wheels off and put on new clips and brake pads. Haha my coworkers loved that sight I get my car fixed where I am and they have to go to the stealership or mechanic shop. Sorry that happened to you glad you or no one was hurt. Good thinking changing the drive modes see Tesla owners are quite sharp.

JMZMartin

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Not sure. I was told today by the service center representative the technicians have identified the issue as a "fault in the brake booster". I asked if that was electrical or mechanical or both. He replied the system is both but the fault in my car is electrical. They are replacing the booster (I had to google what that was actually...) but do not have an ETA on the part. They're hoping but not committing to a week. So now all I can do is wait.

JMZMartin

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I think this is more good than bad. The service center did one last test and found my brake booster wasn't faulty actually. It was the ground connector for the brake booster. Which they reinstalled, tested and then double checked on a test drive. I picked up my car last night and everything seems to be fine for now. Either something came loose during transport or someone missed it when the car was built.