Anyone else disappointed?

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

F91

Country
Country
Closer to 7k and I would feel a little better about it. The autopilot and autonomous driving prices were high to me too. One could hope that by waiting till the end of next year some of the prices/options will become more "flexible". :)

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Option prices are shockingly expensive IMO as they are on par with Model S & X costs. However, on the bright side the Model 3 is much more of a premium vehicle than I expected. That makes me even more excited to get this car now, but will have to scale back on the options.

Also a bit disappointed that I might not get the car this year. Oh well... :(

ahagge

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I agree about the battery and autopilot costs. As a LEAF owner who can get a 24KWh replacement pack for about $6,500 from Nissan, I was hoping that the extra 15KWh in the Model 3 would be closer to $6,000, especially since Tesla has said their cell costs are less than anyone else's.

And if Elon really wants to promote autonomous driving, the price needs to get driven down - dropping it on the Model 3 (and concurrently on the Model S/X) would go a long way to getting it to the masses. I'd hope that they would have recouped most of their software R&D costs by now, and that the $5,000 cost would cover the hardware and some of the software costs...

SoFlaModel3

T≡SLATUNITY
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I think initially I was disappointed in the fact that the glass roof (over the drivers head) was included in the premium package. We all knew that the metal roof was going to be standard, but it just felt a bit weird since all of the RC cars we saw didn't have a metal roof option. For what its worth, I had some time to re-evaluate it and for 5k, all of the items you get in the Premium package is pretty nice. I wouldn't mind seeing some of those options decoupled from the premium package but if that is what helps get the cars out faster then I will just need to make some adjustments in my budget. Right now it is long range vs no long range for me.
It seems like all of the RC cars were "premium" models. I don't recall ever seeing a car with textile seats let alone a different roof.

SFM3, I would add that Mr Musk said there was a : continuous painted glass. I dont remember hearing a metal roof. Just saying. But yes in big part they delivered what we saw.:)
Good point!

Gorillapaws

Country
Country
I have mixed feelings. I was planning on the std. range dual motor config since we do get some snow in VA, it's safer and I'll be driving < 200mi at least 360ish days a year. The handful of times where I need to drive farther and perhaps make an extra stop at a supercharger is a pretty minimal tradeoff for me. My biggest disappointment is that the dual motor option will almost certainly cause me to miss the tax credit (or at least a large chunk of it), so that option would probably cost $10k or more depending on the timing of the credits and the rollout work out. The other disappointing thing I've seen is the ride looks a bit rough from the motor trend clip. Maybe it's just that stretch of road? I'm not expecting an air suspension, but I was hoping the coil suspension would be a bit smoother of an experience, with the performance version being a bit more "sporty."

I was planning on going with the metal roof, std. sound systems, and skipping the cold weather packages, but I want the white seats that adjust electronically. That kind of shoehorns me into the premium package. I was also planning on the enhanced autopilot, but $5k is just too steep on top of the premium package for me (I might be able to unlock it in the future thought). In the end, I'll be spending a bit more than I wanted and I won't be getting all of the features I was planning on, while gaining some that I was going to skip. It's a bit disappointing, but I'm still very excited.

I'm planning on driving this car for something like 10 years. If I finance for 5-6 I think the payments should be manageable, especially with no gas costs and minimal maintenance.

MarkB

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Count me as one who was disappointed. We have to wait till the end of next year to get the car we want. I'm fine with the premium upgrade package. It's actually a bargain for all that you get in it, but I have to say I'm shocked the big battery is 9k. Did anyone see it being that high?
I didn't, but also didn't expect the range difference to be that significant.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I agree about the battery and autopilot costs. As a LEAF owner who can get a 24KWh replacement pack for about $6,500 from Nissan, I was hoping that the extra 15KWh in the Model 3 would be closer to $6,000, especially since Tesla has said their cell costs are less than anyone else's.
according to MotorTrends estimates, the difference in battery size is much greater than 15kWh though. They are estimating 60kWh and 85kWh... once more of these are out in the wild, we should know more about their capacity, but just based on the mileage those numbers seem reasonable.

Also, how much goodwill is priced into Nissan's replacement pack price for having sold Leafs that would need to have a
replacement battery so soon?

Kizzy

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I wasn't surprised by the EAP cost (it's software that has a value outside of hardware (and the hardware on the Model 3 isn't likely (to me) to be cheaper than what's on the Models S and X)).

The larger battery cost, inclusion of some things that I would have hoped were standard or would be available as options separate from a pricy package, and the smaller size of the standard battery are the sticking points for me.

They are balanced out a bit with the cool tech and design considerations, though.

Michael Russo

MSM Team Founder, Midnight S≡R≡NITY rider
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
(...)The wait for a RHD is going to coincide with a lot of traditional manufactures bringing out there Model 3 equivalents so will keep an open mind and keep hold of my reservation unless someone offers me crazy money.
What Model 3 'equivalents' do you truly expect by 2019...? Of course we may need to discuss what that word means, yet, from a price/performance - quality and charging effectiveness via the evergrowing SC network (3 times as many worldwide by YE18!!), I am a little skeptical ... :rolleyes:

Michael Russo

MSM Team Founder, Midnight S≡R≡NITY rider
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
according to MotorTrends estimates, the difference in battery size is much greater than 15kWh though. They are estimating 60kWh and 85kWh... once more of these are out in the wild, we should know more about their capacity, but just based on the mileage those numbers seem reasonable.

Also, how much goodwill is priced into Nissan's replacement pack price for having sold Leafs that would need to have a
replacement battery so soon?
Good point Melinda... I concur that the battery size difference must be much larger than 15 kWh though I am more on the camp of a 50-55 as well as 75 kWh duo than the 60/85 option...

With the reported low energy consumption, I think they would have gotten much more than 220 miles from a 60 kWh base... on the other hand, we already estimated >305 miles from the premised 75 kWh...

Also, getting more than the promised 215 miles with a smaller battery size than 60 kWh must have been a key goal to deliver acceptable margins from the $35k base price... A somewhat painful reality, yet a reality check for sure...

As @Kennethbokor and @TrevP appropriately pointed out in the Q&A video swiftly issued this am, battery size is not relevant any longer since what we are interested in is range!! :)

At the end of the day, to the extent you go on extended long trips more often, the biggest trade-off is going to have to be longer range vs. EAP... I don't see myself not taking the Premium package the way it is concocted now, unless more flexibility is available by YE18...

Country
Country
What Model 3 'equivalents' do you truly expect by 2019...? Of course we may need to discuss what that word means, yet, from a price/performance - quality and charging effectiveness via the evergrowing SC network (3 times as many worldwide by YE18!!), I am a little skeptical ... :rolleyes:
I'm another one on the disappointed list, but primarily a result of the extended delay for international deliveries. EM tweeted just a few months ago that RHD models would start delivery in summer 2018. Now, international deliveries will start end 2018 with RHD early 2019. It seems US deliveries are being prioritised more than initially anticipated and, whilst I understand this is likely to maximise US rebates, it's not consistent with expectations (well, mine at least!).

Come 2019/2020, there will be a number of alternatives available (e.g. Jaguar I Pace, Mercedes EQ, Audi Q6 e-tron, VW id), and whilst most/all may not compete on price and/or range, there's still clearly a risk that a proportion of international reservations will consider other options, particularly taking import tax, exchange rates and local rebates into account.

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Come 2019/2020, there will be a number of alternatives available (e.g. Jaguar I Pace, Mercedes EQ, Audi Q6 e-tron, VW id), and whilst most/all may not compete on price and/or range...
Unless any of Tesla's competitors were granted SC access I'd find none of the alternatives compelling enough. Bring it on!

Akilae

Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
The option pricing is a bit higher than expected for me but the product itself is definitely not disappointing for me. As an investor I even have to say I am looking forward when the first sales kick in :).

Country
Country
There are plans for other supercharger networks, in Europe at least, with BMW, Daimler and others
partnering on 350KW+ chargers.

On a personal note, Tesla has just closed my local supercharger!

I agree Tesla currently has no compelling competition, but this will change during the international roll-out of M3.

Last edited:

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My list of disappointments:
  • Option prices are on par with those of the S. I was hoping for about half price.
    • Paint colors are $1000 (I was hoping for $500-$600)
    • EAP is $5000, same as the S. I really thought it would be less.
    • Premium package is $5000, same as on the S
    • Self-driving is $3000, same as the S
  • Based on an Elon Tweet, I thought dual-motor would start production before the end of 2017.
  • Disappointed that there is no timeline yet for a Performance/Ludicrous model
In the back of my mind, I was thinking I could get a Performance model by mid-2018 for ~$70k. And if not, a top-line dual-motor version for $60k by mid-2018.

But given how long the wait is for dual-motor, I think waiting for dual-motor means that you won't be receiving the full $7500 federal credit. So I'll probably be getting the First Production with all of the options. So I'm still at $60k, just with fewer features than I had hoped.

Last edited:

SoFlaModel3

T≡SLATUNITY
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My list of disappointments:
  • Option prices are on par with those of the S. I was hoping for about half price.
    • Paint colors are $1000 (I was hoping for $500-$600)
    • EAP is $5000, same as the S. I really thought it would be less.
    • Premium package is $5000, same as on the S
    • Self-driving is $3000, same as the S
  • Based on an Elon Tweet, I thought dual-motor would start production before the end of 2017.
  • Disappointed that there is no timeline yet for a Performance/Ludicrous model
In the back of my mind, I was thinking I could get a Performance model my mid-2018 for ~$70k. And if not, a top-line dual-motor version for $60k by mid-2018.

But given how long the wait is for dual-motor, I'll probably be getting the First Production with all of the options. So I'm still at $60k.
Well cross performance off your list. Elon replied to Ryan from Ride the Lightning podcast last night.

Robert

Country
Country
My initial feelings was the high price for the loaded version but after giving it some thought It seems in line with the estimated price I calculated a number of months ago. So in the end my only disappointment is the delivery estimate for Ontario. We are in danger of missing out on the $14,000 Ontario rebate if delivery is late 2018. If the current gov't is defeated in the spring 2018 election (which at this point seems likely) the new gov't will most likely kill all climate change initiatives.

JBsC6

Country
Country
Having 400000 reservations makes pricing options a little more aggressively an easier choice for any business....

I understand yet seeing the extra 90 miles range and barely a half a second faster to 60 mph makes the 9 grand for the 310 range model easier to reject.

The same thing for the premium package. after seeing that wood panel strip on the premium option...it's again easy to save the five grand...

With 400000 preorders any company would say .,,take it as the option pack sits or don't...

I can respect that decision just as I can respect my choice to add awd, the penalized white and the 19 inch rims. I'm good to go with $6500 dollars in options...add a grand for transportation and delivery...we are at 75 or 7700 over the 35 grand...

I was surprised to see awd cost four grand and not the industry standard of 1500 or at most 2500...we still don't know for sure so we will see. I need awd again for the better half to be happy. Happy wife, happy life. So what it will cost it will cost...with 400000 preorders,,,,tesla can dictate so

Subtract the 7500 federal tax break and my net cost is 35 grand...

Even if the tax credit gets cut in half I'm still under 40 grand

Bundling the options saved me a lot of time deciding what options to add

I wanted the glass roof but the better half didn't....and since it's her car I would have had to work very hard...to discuss why the model three needs the glass roof from an appearance aspect...because of the tall roof etc...now with the packaged options Elon saved me the hassle ..

The rest of the premium group doesn't really ,ean much to mean...I be,I eve th standard car will still have heated front seats...and an adjustable seat to some degree...

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Having 400000 reservations makes pricing options a little more aggressively an easier choice for any business....
Agreed.

Additionally, when demand comes back down (as it will inevitably do), they can easily drop prices to generate more demand. Now, they probably wouldn't simply drop prices - but like the S, they could start including some previously-optional features into the base car.

Last edited: