Anyone else disappointed?

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

JBsC6

Country
Country
The price is reasonable for the vehicle that is so beautiful. How can we rationalize the desire for beauty.?

Musk did a great job...I'm not going to kid you I'm a little disappointed the awd tesla 220 mile range can't accelerate to sixty in the fours...

I'm not dropping the 9 grand for the extended range as I don't need it..that's just a personal observation.

I wish we had the option of upping the acceleration capability and decreasing range with the flip of a switch or option of the dash screen..

Of course we all have dreams for this stunning sexy model 3 sports sedan...that won't be coming true or at least not for 50 grand...lol

When push comes to shove...the acceleration, looks , handling and price are amazing combination from tesla and I look forward to private owners reporting here how they are enjoying their purchase in so many ways.

I believe possibly September or October we should be able to get those who didn't sign NDA s to post up here.

I do remember the motor trend 15 minute test drive comparision to the much regarded Alfa Guilia driven right after the tesla model 3 in the mountains of California and the tesla got rave reviews from motor trend in comparision.

The alfa was the best in segment handler before the tesla model 3.

That alone puts smile on my face

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm a little disappointed the awd tesla 220 mile range can't accelerate to sixty in the fours...

we don't have any AWD specs yet, so you can't be disappointed based on speculation ;)
I wish we had the option of upping the acceleration capability and decreasing range with the flip of a switch or option of the dash screen..

the option is the
accelerator peddle, it will reduce range and increase acceleration. (I know you meant beyond the spec max acceleration, but sometimes I think I'm funny)

JBsC6

Country
Country
Melinda you always fun as you challenge the details of statements. I find that interesting and fun. The expectation of a just under 5 grand awd and moderately improved acceleration is based off the model S 75 in rear and awd testing...

The differential isn't much...

What I did read and who knows how important or unimportant it is...is that the model S and the model 3 run either on AC versus D.C. ...

It seems the model S tech allows for a more explosive performance where as the model 3 may not offer just as much performance....

It would be nice if we could have seen mid to high 4 second runs to sixty by the model 3 without ludicrious mode pricing.

I'm sure that once the air suspension releases as Elon stated...a performance version would as well.

The pricing will be wicked and I don't believe the AC or D.C. Current configuration will be as effective in hitting g 2.5 seconds to sixty...I think we will see 3.7 as the number for the ludicrious model 3...but again..I'm just guessing...

Maybe I'm rationalizing...it's hard for me to see...probably am but I'm happy with awd ,220 range and the 19 inch rims..but if I could have spent 5 grand more and moved the acceleration down into the low fours...I might have..

I don't need the wood trim etc in the luxury package for 5 grand..I don't need the 310 mile range extended for an addition 9 grand.... I just don't sweet the range thing...the half a second improve,ent for 9 grand is in my opinion too high...it's a nice improve,ent but at 5.1 it just doesn't matter as much...5.6 to 5.1 is just not worth 9 grand...

Only thing I am disappointed at is they did not reveal more about the car. But I know they need to save that for later. I watched the whole event live from 3 different live feeds. Was a cool experience. I can't wait to take possession of mine. :) Thanks Elon and all the teams at Tesla for their hard work in transforming our world for the better.

Topher

Energy Curmudgeon
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
My discontent is with the 220 miles range.
So you are disappointed, but I don't see how you can put that disappointment on Tesla. Cool.

they achieved so much better efficiency with this car that they abandoned the initial battery pack capacity to surpass the 215 miles and reduced it from 55/50kwh that we speculated about to a smaller one (45kwh?) and got announce 220 miles.
They were 'pencils down' shortly after that announcement was made. It seems unlikely that they found a lot better efficiency, and made changes to the battery in that time frame. They also didn't make their target Cd of 0.21, which would have given them a range of 240, so those miles would need to be made up as well. Pretty sure the battery is the size they were thinking of on March 31.

Thank you kindly.

Country
Country
So you are disappointed, but I don't see how you can put that disappointment on Tesla. Cool.

They were 'pencils down' shortly after that announcement was made. It seems unlikely that they found a lot better efficiency, and made changes to the battery in that time frame. They also didn't make their target Cd of 0.21, which would have given them a range of 240, so those miles would need to be made up as well. Pretty sure the battery is the size they were thinking of on March 31.

Thank you kindly.

I'm more concerned at the lack of ...."effort"(?) in the interior. I'm fully prepared to drop the $49K for the extra range and dual motor option... but nothing inside to me says that this is a $49K car. I know he HAS to make a decent profit on this car, but all Teslas already have between 1/4 and 1/3 the parts of a comparable car, down to the number of screws. With the all digital interior, the simply upgrade to a driver's side display is a simple and inexpensive way to add convenience, safety, and a touch of "standard" poshness to the interior. It just seems that they ran out of development time and money when they arrived a the interior portion of the development. That fact that he said the interior was "preliminary" at the first reveal over a year ago, says that could be the case. If would be veeeeery easy to add a ribbon cable, and a custom smaller display behind the steering wheel. Just borrow ad adapt the software from the S, and charge an extra $2K option for $200 worth of hardware. Just sit in any other $34K car and look at the controls, then look at the Model 3. .... =-(

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm more concerned at the lack of ...."effort"(?) in the interior. I'm fully prepared to drop the $49K for the extra range and dual motor option... but nothing inside to me says that this is a $49K car. I know he HAS to make a decent profit on this car, but all Teslas already have between 1/4 and 1/3 the parts of a comparable car, down to the number of screws. With the all digital interior, the simply upgrade to a driver's side display is a simple and inexpensive way to add convenience, safety, and a touch of "standard" poshness to the interior. It just seems that they ran out of development time and money when they arrived a the interior portion of the development. That fact that he said the interior was "preliminary" at the first reveal over a year ago, says that could be the case. If would be veeeeery easy to add a ribbon cable, and a custom smaller display behind the steering wheel. Just borrow ad adapt the software from the S, and charge an extra $2K option for $200 worth of hardware. Just sit in any other $34K car and look at the controls, then look at the Model 3. .... =-(
I disagree with most of this. Obviously my opinion, but this is what we will see most all cars 5+ years look like.
it's not because Tesla ran out of money. the interior's style/design was intentional.

Michael Russo

MSM Team Founder, Midnight S≡R≡NITY rider
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
I disagree with most of this. Obviously my opinion, but this is what we will see most all cars 5+ years look like.
it's not because Tesla ran out of money. the interior's style/design was intentional.
There is little doubt that T≡SLA designers are in trendsetting mode with Model 3 yet I think it is a reasonable premise the absence of a 2nd - is it only H.U...- display could be driven by the goal to reduce 'complexity', hence cost, no, Melinda & all?

Topher

Energy Curmudgeon
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I'm more concerned at the lack of ...."effort"(?) in the interior.
Do you have any idea of the EFFORT it takes to make something SIMPLE? The KISS principle, poetry, Pascal's "I would have written a shorter letter, but I did not have the time", all speak to the difficulty in making something simple. The HVAC vent alone represents a significant amount of time and imagination to make something that no one would have missed had they copied a normal system.

You are free to not like it, of course, but don't for a minute think it was easy.

Thank you kindly.

JBsC6

Country
Country
I love the simplicity of the model 3 dash. Lowering the front cowl gives a really cool view of the road ahead.

I hate cleaning the dust out of traditional interiors over time. With tesla s solution it's going to be quick swipe and wipe.

Would wished the drivers seat was powered 6 ways but that would have added probably 50 lbs ...so manual adjustments would be fine as long as it's back/forth, tilt for the set back and up and down for the seat cushion..

Looking forward to the release of the awd version and having deliveries to start in the northeast.

Brett

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
About the $1000 color up-charge...

It's been bugging me when people complain about the charge for a non-black paint. To me this seemed like standard industry practice, not something I like, but something I was willing to live with (like destination fees). So I did a quick survey using online configurators and it turns out Tesla is pretty far towards higher end on these charges. I used random sedans from each manufacturer so this is by no means conclusive.

Honda - All colors free
Lexus - All colors free
Toyota - White free, all other colors require $130 premium package
Mazda - Most colors free, $200-300 for premium paints
BMW - Black & white free, all other colors ~$500
Audi - Black & white free, all other colors ~$500
Mercedes - Black & white free, $700-1500 for other colors
Porsche - Black & white free, $830-3300 for other colors

So, only the really high end dealers charge more and they still have twice as many free options as Tesla. Mostly the cost of paint was correlated to the cost of the car so as the cars I was configuring got more expensive the cost of paints went up as well. It's like Tesla is basing their paint charges on the ~$100,000 Model S and not the ~$45,000 Model 3.

That said, I'm still paying for a non-black paint and won't be too upset.

Last edited:

Jayc

Country
Country
Take the lowest common denominator - at the very least, black and pure white should be free. Of course Tesla can price their options as they prefer and no arguments about that but without pure white, they can no longer claim to be doing the right thing.

Mark C

Country
Country
Take the lowest common denominator - at the very least, black and pure white should be free. Of course Tesla can price their options as they prefer and no arguments about that but without pure white, they can no longer claim to be doing the right thing.
They made this decision all because of me. I was no way, no how going to buy a black car. I want a blue car. But, come on, $1,000.00 for a metallic color that all the non-premium cars I'm used to looking at would be around $400.00! I'd have taken a white car if it had been a no added cost color. There, this way I get to complain about the money, not about the car! :confused:

JBsC6

Country
Country
When 500 k reservations exist...all manufacturers would increase the cost of options.

Most car dealerships that are separate entities as franchises would add a market adjustment in addition to msrp as well.

Especially if the time to fill the order is a year long.

Thank goodness tesla showrooms are not traditional franchises as traditional franchises would as I mentioned added "market adjustments"

Just something to think about...

The law of supply and demand and its effect on pricing.

Don't want to pay 1000 dollars for a paint color which I agree with..then order black.

I understand the demand is very high and my better half wants red...so I'll spend the extra grand..

Happy wife, happy life.....

I'll pass on the ridiculous 9 grand for the extra 90 mile range version. I'll pass on the glass roof as she doesn't want that and she hates wood in the interior. Saved another 5 grand.

She wants awd. So I'll spend 5 grand...

I like the 19 inch rims so I'll spend $1500 for that...

Brings me to 42500 plus a grand for delivery charges..I'm at 43500.

If I get 7500 or 3750 federal tax credit...I'll be happy.

Seems like a nice car for my out of pocket cost of under 40 grand.

Pretty too...

Brett

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thank goodness tesla showrooms are not traditional franchises as traditional franchises would as I mentioned added "market adjustments"
Good point. I paid $500 over sticker price for my Prius in 2004 because there was a wait list and the dealership knew it could get away with it. A bunch of people were paying even more then that so at the time I thought it was a good deal. At least with Tesla everyone pays the same price even if their "dealer" doesn't have competition.

Gizmo

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I don't look at how much x option is, I spec the car to my minimum requirements:

Base Model 3 - $35K
LR - $9K
Paint $1K - will not own black again
Electric lumbar support $5K - adds a few other bits I like too.

Now I'm in for $50K without the AWD that I would like, that lot will cost me an extra $1550 in tax due to the RRP being over £40K (based my $ to £ vonversion on 1:1 which will be about right once 20% VAT and 10% import duty has been added)

So £51.5K is a lot of cash when I can buy a higher specced VAG ICE car for less than £40K (before any broker discount - up to 20% discount)

I agree that Tesla are charging OTT for options (paint and wheels mainly)

RICK M

I reserved on day 1. I'm due to get a notification in the coming months. I'm extremely disappointed with the way the Model 3 pricing came out. The quality issues that I'm hearing about is making me re-think my order. At this point I'm going to opt for the base model. Many of the other Automobile Manufacturers are soon to release their versions of totally electric vehicles. I may jump ship before the end of the year. I have a feeling that the number of cancellations will rise dramatically in the coming months. Also the location of the central computer without a real dash has soured me. Just sayin........

SoFlaModel3

T≡SLATUNITY
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I reserved on day 1. I'm due to get a notification in the coming months. I'm extremely disappointed with the way the Model 3 pricing came out. The quality issues that I'm hearing about is making me re-think my order. At this point I'm going to opt for the base model. Many of the other Automobile Manufacturers are soon to release their versions of totally electric vehicles. I may jump ship before the end of the year. I have a feeling that the number of cancellations will rise dramatically in the coming months. Also the location of the central computer without a real dash has soured me. Just sayin........
What quality issues are you hearing about?

Center screen — try it out — it’s “just right”!

Ken Voss

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The Model 3 is high tech and clearly is not for everyone in 1991 Goeffery Moore wrote a book called Crossing the Chasm, it focuses on how high tech products are adopted by the mainstream market. There are 5 phases including innovators, early adopters, early majority, late majority and laggards. Everyone of us fall into one of these categories.

innovators purchased the first Tesla Roadster to , Early Adopters first purchased the Model S and X, most of us here on this Forum buying Model 3 are the early majority (Although some of us are actually early adopters who could not afford model S&X) others who are taking a wait and see position are more in the category of the Late Majority, @RICK M, I suspect you fit here. The laggards are those who hate change and wont buy an EV until every manufacturer stops selling ICE vehicles.
chasm-png.6465

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm extremely disappointed with the way the Model 3 pricing came out.
Yep, we all thought that options would be much less expensive.
The quality issues that I'm hearing about is making me re-think my order.
Given Tesla's history, this really shouldn't be a surprise to anybody. Tesla cars have always had lots of initial quality issues. But historically, Tesla has been very good about correcting them all under warranty.

Even if you didn't do your homework on Tesla, any first year of a new model car is going to have quality issues. If you want to avoid issues, always wait until the car has been in production for a year or two before getting one.