Anybody had the chance to test drive 18 vs 19 inch wheels on M3?

Simon Says

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Order the 18s and get aftermarket wheels that are cheaper and look nicer. The TSportlines look nice imo but they are expensive and there are a ton of options out there.
Thanks that is what I have done since I figured I’d want different tires no matter what. So will go after market but still need to figure out the ride difference between 18-19 to decide which size.

I think Tesla is both leaving money on the table and disappointing a few. I understand the need to minimize options but wheels is as easy ast it gets and they could have offered better looking options in 18 inch.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I think Tesla is both leaving money on the table and disappointing a few. I understand the need to minimize options but wheels is as easy ast it gets and they could have offered better looking options in 18 inch.
I hated the 20" Aero wheels on the original alpha prototype. And I didn't much care for the production 18" wheels when I first saw them. But I have to admit, they have really grown on me.

Simon Says

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I hated the 20" Aero wheels on the original alpha prototype. And I didn't much care for the production 18" wheels when I first saw them. But I have to admit, they have really grown on me.
I just think it looks better with a silver color especially in blue. So anyway I hope someone will have the opportunity to try 18-19 for a comparison and perhaps even a staggered config so that it informs he aftermarket options a bit better.

ng0

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Order the 18s and get aftermarket wheels that are cheaper and look nicer. The TSportlines look nice imo but they are expensive and there are a ton of options out there.
I considered that but in the end I went with the 19s because the cost of aftermarket rims, 19 inch tires, and getting them installed would end up being way more expensive. Also, I wanted to get the car and just enjoy it and not worry about getting stuff done to it right away. Third I figured if there were any issues with the car it's all stock and there were no questions whether Tesla would have to fix it.

verygooddog

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I considered that but in the end I went with the 19s because the cost of aftermarket rims, 19 inch tires, and getting them installed would end up being way more expensive. Also, I wanted to get the car and just enjoy it and not worry about getting stuff done to it right away. Third I figured if there were any issues with the car it's all stock and there were no questions whether Tesla would have to fix it.
Well said. While waiting for my invite, I read endlessly about the 18" and 19" stock wheels and the aftermarket alternatives. I ended up configuring with the stock 19" because I preferred the look compared to the 18". I didn't go with aftermarket alternatives because of the reasons you stated.

Stacks

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Maybe your city/country is more expensive, but aftermarket is cheaper than $1,500 here. Around $900-$1,500 depending on what you buy.

Simon Says

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I was going to do the same thing but when I saw that the tire offered was not something I wanted I figured that I might as well punt the decision until more data is available. So 19" staggered is 1200$ given I need to buy new tires anyway it is like 300$ cheaper to wait out. If I go for better looking 18inch it is 1K and 500$ less given I wan to go with Michelin Super Sport.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Maybe your city/country is more expensive, but aftermarket is cheaper than $1,500 here. Around $900-$1,500 depending on what you buy.
for wheels AND tires? any tires I would consider start at $800/set, ones I realistically buy are over $1000. Wheels also start out just over $800, so don't see a reasonable combination that would be less than $1500, let alone $900

ng0

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
for wheels AND tires? any tires I would consider start at $800/set, ones I realistically buy are over $1000. Wheels also start out just over $800, so don't see a reasonable combination that would be less than $1500, let alone $900
Ya even if you spend 150/tire which is pretty reasonable, you're still talking 600 bucks on top of the after market rims that would cost at least 1200. Now you're at 1800 even if you can put them on and balance yourself, which I definitely can't do. I'm guessing most people will be out at least 2k.

Stacks

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I don’t know where y’all go for tires and wheels but those prices you’re quoting would get me high-end stuff. I was talking more average to good quality.

Pointless to argue this. Agree to disagree.

ng0

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I don’t know where y’all go for tires and wheels but those prices you’re quoting would get me high-end stuff. I was talking more average to good quality.

Pointless to argue this. Agree to disagree.
So what do you think tires are gonna run you for 19s? Even on budget sites it seems like they're at least over 100, so even if you get the cheapest ones you're still talking 1600+ before mounting costs.

svusa11

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Just to provide quick feedback, I ordered 19' inch and I couldn't be more happier. Ride is perfectly fine, as smooth or better than my 2016 Honda Accord.

Ride quality shouldn't be your concern at all between 18' and 19'.

Golden Gate

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This has been a really helpful thread, thanks. I am trying to figure out 18 or 19 and came here to seek opinions. I once had a "sport" model BMW with low profile tires and had to deal with flat tires / tire wear a lot more than standard tires. Also I have a driveway that is steeply sloped and sometimes cars that are low to the ground scrape....worst noise in the world. Does anyone know if the 19 is higher off the ground or if it's the same as the 18? And should I be worried about the lower profile of the 19 tire? Thanks much

Frank99

Model 3 owner since May 3, 2018
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The 18" and 19" wheel+tire are nearly the identical diameter, so there won't be a ride height difference as a result of that. To the best of my knowledge, all the cars (currently) have exactly the same suspension, so there won't be a ride height difference there. So I'd go with "No, the 19 isn't higher off the ground".

Maevra

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Ordered 18s and ran with them for 8k miles. No complaints about the ride quality, they were just fine.

Switched to the stock 19s just a few weeks ago and I can feel the ride is a bit harsher, definitely feel the bumps in the road more but it’s not terrible. Handling seems tighter. I did give up on some efficiency as the car seems to use ~240-245kWh vs ~235-240kWh during my daily commute tracking. Looks prettier though. :)

Michael Russo

MSM Team Founder, Midnight S≡R≡NITY rider
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
(...) I did give up on some efficiency as the car seems to use ~240-245kWh vs ~235-240kWh during my daily commute tracking. Looks prettier though. :)
Maevra, that is really good... only ~2% range loss for better handling & looks... I could go along with that ! :cool:

svusa11

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
so more I drive, I could tell you 19'' ride on harsh NJ roads is comfortable. I would put it on par with Lexus/Camry/Accord. It is what you expect from 50k car. that being said, I have no experience driving 18'' so I cant really do any other meaningful comparison.

Hope this helps make newbies educated decision.

Thom Moore

Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
It seems pretty well established from experience with other cars including Model S, that the ride is noticeably harsher and noisier with the lower profile tires and larger wheels. Moreover, potholes are much more likely to damage the lower profile tires, and the wheels are usually damaged as well, so plan on replacing them. I personally am also skeptical of claims that stopping distances and skid pad performance are higher for larger wheels. If there is a difference, it might only be noticeable to track denizens, which does not include me,

John

Tech Founder
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It seems pretty well established from experience with other cars including Model S, that the ride is noticeably harsher and noisier with the lower profile tires and larger wheels. Moreover, potholes are much more likely to damage the lower profile tires, and the wheels are usually damaged as well, so plan on replacing them. I personally am also skeptical of claims that stopping distances and skid pad performance are higher for larger wheels. If there is a difference, it might only be noticeable to track denizens, which does not include me,
Assume you saw the Edmunds testing of 19" vs 18" wheels?