Anybody had the chance to test drive 18 vs 19 inch wheels on M3?

Simon Says

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I am hoping that someone had the chance to compare handling and the ride comfort of the 18 vs 19 inch wheels. I prefer the look of the 19 but if ride comfort is vastly improved by the 18 i might go that route.

ng0

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I am hoping that someone had the chance to compare handling and the ride comfort of the 18 vs 19 inch wheels. I prefer the look of the 19 but if ride comfort is vastly improved by the 18 i might go that route.
I've been wondering that myself. I drove in a Model 3 with 18 inch wheels and it was super comfortable. Really wanted to get the the 19s but I was mostly concerned about the range difference. Originally there were reports of 10% difference, but I think that has been pretty much debunked. The guy in the Tesla stores says 2-3%. I really wish someone would do a real world test. If someone ends up getting a Model 3 in San Diego with 19s, I'll try to do my best to sync you up with another owner to do a test. :)

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've been wondering that myself. I drove in a Model 3 with 18 inch wheels and it was super comfortable. Really wanted to get the the 19s but I was mostly concerned about the range difference. Originally there were reports of 10% difference, but I think that has been pretty much debunked. The guy in the Tesla stores says 2-3%. I really wish someone would do a real world test. If someone ends up getting a Model 3 in San Diego with 19s, I'll try to do my best to sync you up with another owner to do a test. :)
Some thoughts to help you both...

1) Comfort differences between 18 and 19 will likely be neglible.

2) It looks like real world range with the 19s has been shown to be close to 310 miles!

ng0

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Some thoughts to help you both...

1) Comfort differences between 18 and 19 will likely be neglible.

2) It looks like real world range with the 19s has been shown to be close to 310 miles!
Thanks for the info! I've been hearing a lot of mixed messages on the comfort difference. There's been lots of talk about how the 19's would make you feel the road a lot more. I'm not really sure what that's based on. I hope you're right, but it's really all guesses at this point. I don't know anyone that's driven both versions.

I've also heard 310 to be the range on the 19s. My friend says his car says he gets 314 miles on his 18s. If that's true then that's barely over a 1% difference. I'm a little skeptical about the range that the car says vs real world though. Someone would have to drive the car 'til it dies to really find out for sure and test it on freeways + city.

svusa11

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I drove in a Model 3 with 18 inch wheels and it was super comfortable. Really wanted to get the the 19s but I was mostly concerned about the range difference.
I heard 19 inch ride is little firm/stiff/sporty like BMW 3 from various people. I have no idea what it means as I'm not a Beemer guy. If 18 was nice and comfy ride for you that would likely be my choice.

Twitter @smileyborg "It’s much stiffer than the Model S. And lighter weight, shorter wheelbase, and the lower profile tires on the sport wheels make for a much less smooth/comfort ride. It’s not rough or punishing at all though, just very sporty and very fun with much improved handling & body roll."

I love comfort of my Honda Accord and I hope M3 can match that level of ride experience. Please do post your feedback if you do get a chance to test drive 19 in. M3.

ng0

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I heard 19 inch ride is little firm/stiff/sporty like BMW 3 from various people. I have no idea what it means as I'm not a Beemer guy. If 18 was nice and comfy ride for you that would likely be my choice.

Twitter @smileyborg "It’s much stiffer than the Model S. And lighter weight, shorter wheelbase, and the lower profile tires on the sport wheels make for a much less smooth/comfort ride. It’s not rough or punishing at all though, just very sporty and very fun with much improved handling & body roll."

I love comfort of my Honda Accord and I hope M3 can match that level of ride experience. Please do post your feedback if you do get a chance to test drive 19 in. M3.
Thanks so much for that info! I had heard something very similar if not identical. Again, I'm not sure where that info is coming from, so I have no idea what to believe. I actually really enjoy the ride on the 3-series BMW so I'd be thrilled if the Model 3 felt like that. It's nowhere near as fun to drive as the model 3 though! That instant acceleration is just amazing. :)

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Its most likely there are very few people with enough seat time in both 18s and 19s on this car.

Realistically if roads are bad, then both are bad. They both have low profile tires. The 18s are slightly better, but again both bad in that case. I suspect you’re driving fairly slow if roads are that bad and making sure you don’t bend a rim.

In this case ignorance is bliss I say. Go with what you like the most!

Simon Says

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country

I have a BMW 335i with sport package and I am hoping for something a tad smoother. I kinda regret the whole sport thing as it makes for rough commutes. While it has a great sporty handling and fine on California and Florida highways I can still feel the potholes in my bones from when I lived in NYC 4 years ago. The roads around here can also have some roughness and while I don't want a caddy like driving experience not feeling every cracks in the pavement would be a nice difference.

For me range is important but 10 miles is not something that would sway me. Look-wise I very much prefer the 19 style of wheels, but if 18 is a tad more comfy i might look past the aero wheels and go for a better commute. The 1500$ extra is also something I would not mind saving but I know at some point I'll have to buy some aftermarket better looking wheels in silver finish.

Simon Says

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Its most likely there are very few people with enough seat time in both 18s and 19s on this car.

Realistically if roads are bad, then both are bad. They both have low profile tires. The 18s are slightly better, but again both bad in that case. I suspect you’re driving fairly slow if roads are that bad and making sure you don’t bend a rim.

In this case ignorance is bliss I say. Go with what you like the most!

I was thinking that since nearly three thousands are out there that at some get together there might be both model for two owners to try the difference. Or an employee that did do some test driving who would comment anonymously. I am sure it will happen at some point and I really hope that this is sooner than later so that I can configure it right from the get go when I get my invite (I am guessing/hoping late this month)

ng0

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I drove both 18 inch and 19 inch...I have 18 inch and my employee-contact has 19 inch..they are both pretty harsh but I think road-noise on the 19 is a little bit more louder.
Thanks so much for providing your real world experience! Still torn on it.

ng0

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I should be getting mine in a few weeks and I should finally be able to do a comparison between the 18s and 19s. If someone doesn't do a comparison before, I'll definitely do one.

Simon Says

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I should be getting mine in a few weeks and I should finally be able to do a comparison between the 18s and 19s. If someone doesn't do a comparison before, I'll definitely do one.
Thanks for that. I received my invite to configure but I can’t decide on this last thing. I hate the looks of the aero either with or without the cap but would put up with it if the ride is much better. Not too thrilled about the 1500$ up charge either but not much choices at this stage.

Stacks

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Thanks for that. I received my invite to configure but I can’t decide on this last thing. I hate the looks of the aero either with or without the cap but would put up with it if the ride is much better. Not too thrilled about the 1500$ up charge either but not much choices at this stage.
Order the 18s and get aftermarket wheels that are cheaper and look nicer. The TSportlines look nice imo but they are expensive and there are a ton of options out there.

Last edited: