Anybody ever seen a Karma?

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Tom Hudson

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
So, whenever I watch just about any EV-related video on YouTube (i.e. M3OC, Electrek, Now You Know), the ad that plays at the start of the video is almost always for the Karma Revero. And now this website has ads for it.

Has anyone actually seen one of these? It just amazes me that they have such incredible ad penetration but I've never heard about them otherwise. Googling them, it looks like they're actually a hybrid with only a 50-mile EV-mode range... But hey! HAND-PAINTED BADGES!!!!

Seriously, anybody have first-hand experience with this car?

Achooo

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
There used to be a car company called Fisker years ago that made a full EV called Karma. It was a beautiful design, but the company went belly up. Then I heard that it was purchased by a Chinese firm and that it had begun redeveloping the car as the Revero under the brand Karma. Also, I think they are based in Irvine, because I’ve been seeing disguised spy cars with very similar styling as the old Fisker Karma driving around Irvine for the past 6 months or so.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
There used to be an owner with a Fisker Karma in my area. I'd see it now and then.
But I haven't seen it in years at this point, so I'm guessing he sold it or it died.

SR22pilot

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I've seen a couple of the original Fiskers. Very pretty inside and out. The interior has relatively little space for the size of the car. There is a huge center tunnel. At least the original is a hybrid with low performance compared to a Model S.

TrevP

TOO Founder / Administrator
Founder
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I had a chance to see and sit in the new Revero last September. It's nice looking but not for me. The massive battery tunnel makes for an uncomfortable arm rest on account of it being so high. Also, it has one of those low-speed "noise makers" that had a very odd sound... It sounds like a heavy metal guitar chord on a loop

img_5718-jpg.22782

ADK46

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I saw one at a Porsche Cars and Coffee event last October. Oddly, there's a guy in Albany NY who is one of the few dealers for them. It was attractive in an exotic way, but it seemed a unicorn compared to the Model 3 I brought.

The TV ads gave me the impression they were BEVs - nope, they are exploiting the somewhat ambiguous term "electric vehicle". There's a gasoline motor-generator under the hood. A full EV version is years away. The dealer said you'd be able to charge them at Tesla Superchargers. While Musk says he's willing to open them up for non-Teslas, he hasn't yet and I suspect a company like Karma would be required to share 1) the cost of implementing a third-party billing system, and 2) the capital expense of the network. There could be a licensing fee and a sales commission on the electricity, too. I'd like to be a fly on the wall during negotiations.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
So, whenever I watch just about any EV-related video on YouTube (i.e. M3OC, Electrek, Now You Know), the ad that plays at the start of the video is almost always for the Karma Revero. And now this website has ads for it.

It just amazes me that they have such incredible ad penetration but I've never heard about them otherwise.
The ads you see on YouTube or here (or wherever on the internet) use your prior web history to target what you are shown. The next persons computer with a different history may never see a karma ad but something else that never shows up for you.

jdbunda

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I drove and rode in the Fisker Karma back in the day, the local Porsche dealer sold them. As others have noted, the center tunnel is HUGE, and there is very little interior room. The console went through the back seat, too. The handling and acceleration were unremarkable, it drove big and heavy. The panel gaps on the car I drove were absolutely atrocious. A guy down the street from me owned one briefly, and I saw it multiple times leave his house on a flatbed.

For a while, there was a Detroit company that was ditching the PHEV powertrain for a big V8 - Destino? I hope the design is getting more love in its new life, it's not a bad looking car.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
We had a Fisker Karma at EarthX this weekend in Dallas. It was on open display all 3 days. I intended to get back over to it to see it closer and didn't. It happens to belong to the financial sponsor of the show. He just handed the keys over and said go display it and leave it open.

a90d6140-d51f-45c2-af1e-cf00ced5916a-jpeg.25413

Perscitus

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
A handful of these still driving around New York... somewhat interesting circa 2012-14... not so much 6+ years later.

I believe the latest news is/was that Fisker was making a comeback (new capital influx, new ownership - perhaps Chinese).

Last edited:

AEDennis

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Went to visit Karma Automotive at Irvine, CA on Friday with a multi-national delegation of rEVolutionaries and got an excellent tour.

Untitled by Dennis Pascual, on Flickr

Here is a quick picture of what their lobby was like...

Ok... So, I will be posting links to Twitter and my own videos here from the visit to Karma SC1...

Got approval to post, so here I am sharing with you...

We were just finishing an interesting (but no phones, no social media) portion of our visit to Karma Automotive in Irvine, CA... When we walked out and the new Karma SC1 Concept (full BEV) was being backed up to replace the Karma Revero GT (basically the succeeding vehicle to the Fisker Karma...)

Next I take a slow motion video around the car:

Next is the car in motion going reverse into its spot...

And lastly from my videos, unfortunately I did not capture the door opening video...

Luckily my new friend Michael captured it on Twitter.

Lastly, a few photos...

I have not made public any other photos on my flickr stream, but will be doing so later...

TrevP

TOO Founder / Administrator
Founder
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Yes I just saw one on the weekend. Looks just like the older Fisker. I sat in a preproduction car and while the interior materials are nice the car feels very cramped on account of the high center tunnel with the batteries.

AEDennis

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Yes I just saw one on the weekend. Looks just like the older Fisker. I sat in a preproduction car and while the interior materials are nice the car feels very cramped on account of the high center tunnel with the batteries.
That's the released Revero GT (top picture)... The BEV Concept called the SC1 is a lot more room, and more like other EVs, and space will be better under that configuration.

The Revero GT drives much better than the original Fisker Karma. We actually cross-shopped the Fisker Karma vs. our Model S... And the rest is history and almost 120,000 miles later. The Revero GT still has that same "design" from Fisker days for the battery tunnel, but I think they're learning...

Jason@FreshStartDetail

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
No
We have a black Fisker that comes in for detailing roughly annually. All I remember is that the paint is hammered and requires significant correction every time he brings it in. However some of the panels have been repainted by some hack body shop so obviously that's not the manufacturer's fault.