Any Canadians out there buy a Tesla EVSE (Wall Connector) via Tesla.com?

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Background: To successfully claim the Ontario 50% rebate for the purchase of an EVSE, said EVSE must include these two criteria (screenshot at end of this post):

1. "Was this charger purchased from a Canadian dealer or from a Canadian website? Chargers purchased from or through the US or other non-Canadian dealers or websites are not eligible", and

2. "Did you receive or pick up this charger from a Canadian location? Chargers picked up or purchased from the US or other non-Canadian jurisdictions are not eligible".

Question to any Canadian that has bought and received a Tesla EVSE (a.k.a. "Wall Connector") via online purchase from Tesla.com:

Does the purchase originate from Tesla Canada and does it contain invoices that show a Canadian location from where it came from?

Thanks. Cheers.

capture-png.6334

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Thanks guys.

Further info, I have to apply for the rebate within 90 days of purchasing it:

screenshot_2018-03-15-12-00-28-png.6341

And since one needs an EV with VIN to even apply for this rebate, etc.......I guess I'll just hold off until I have a VIN before ordering the EVSE.

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Give them a call. I have read somewhere (either here or TMC) that Ministry of Finance does recognize the timing issues their requirement brings up, and so they MAY be okay with submitting your EVIP application once you have your car order in without waiting for delivery paperwork.

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Give them a call. I have read somewhere (either here or TMC) that Ministry of Finance does recognize the timing issues their requirement brings up, and so they MAY be okay with submitting your EVIP application once you have your car order in without waiting for delivery paperwork.
Once I've ordered the car, you bet.

Thanks. Cheers.

BobLoblaw

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hey Mike just a side note - Tesla is definitely living up to their reputation for communication issues with my HPWC. It’s looking like more than a month from ordering to when it lands on my doorstep with no tracking number and no reply via email to get one. I’d suggest ordering as soon as you’re comfortable with (aka as soon as Canadian configurations start) in order to ensure you’re not without a charging solution when the car arrives. Just food for thought.

Gotta ask - what’d you fly in the CF? Lots of friends and coworkers that came through those ranks and one who’s just finishing up...

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country
I’d suggest ordering as soon as you’re comfortable with (aka as soon as Canadian configurations start) in order to ensure you’re not without a charging solution when the car arrives. Just food for thought.
Peter,

Agreed 100%. I have sent emails to Tesla in the past that have never been acknowledged let alone answered.

Worst case scenario, I slap at 14-50 outlet in situ for temporary use.

Gotta ask - what’d you fly in the CF? Lots of friends and coworkers that came through those ranks and one who’s just finishing up...
I was a nav, first on Auroras (when they were fresh off the assembly line), some SAR on Buffalo's and about 7,500 hours on Hercs (steamers and some AUP time). Retired in '06.

BobLoblaw

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Peter,

Agreed 100%. I have sent emails to Tesla in the past that have never been acknowledged let alone answered.

Worst case scenario, I slap at 14-50 outlet in situ for temporary use.
When I was talking directly with the service centre in YYZ it sounded like they may be able to source the HPWC directly. May want to give them a shout and see what they say. Fingers crossed it'll be a mad panic in a few months when we are waiting for our VINs :)

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country
When I was talking directly with the service centre in YYZ it sounded like they may be able to source the HPWC directly. May want to give them a shout and see what they say. Fingers crossed it'll be a mad panic in a few months when we are waiting for our VINs :)
I called last week and the head of the service department told me they will not sell me one until I have a VIN.

BobLoblaw

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Tell them Tesla is happy to sell you one with a RN. My order was tied to that. I heard the same line from Vancouver but I’m not convinced it’s based on good info.

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country
The o
Tell them Tesla is happy to sell you one with a RN. My order was tied to that. I heard the same line from Vancouver but I’m not convinced it’s based on good info.
The only issue is once I pay for the EVSE, the 90 day clock starts. If I don't own an EV within 90 days of the purchase date for the EVSE, I lose the ability to claim the EVSE rebate.

90 days from today is 12 June, and although I'd love to have my car by then, I somehow think that's not the case (but I'm willing to eat crow if I'm wrong).

BobLoblaw

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Ny HPWC shipped from California but the invoice showed it sold in Toronto. BC rebate ($750) was in the mail the day of the install, really slick online application. I’d budget for 3-4 weeks, or if you’re close to YYZ just picking one up there once your VIN is assigned.

Eliminason

Country
Country
Has anybody done this through the B.C. rebate for charging station program (75% up to $750)? Doesn’t seem to have the same restriction as Ontario for having an EV and I’m thinking of getting it installed now even though I’ll be waiting for the standard range version.

https://pluginbc.ca/charging-program/charging-solutions-incentives/

I’m also curious about the language of covering a revenue grade monitor - does this mean a townhouse, condo, or business could install a charger that the charge for and get a rebate for the installation?

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
2dd39a16-c0bd-4899-b1c0-6f7b74e96fe7-jpeg.6992
The o

The only issue is once I pay for the EVSE, the 90 day clock starts. If I don't own an EV within 90 days of the purchase date for the EVSE, I lose the ability to claim the EVSE rebate.

90 days from today is 12 June, and although I'd love to have my car by then, I somehow think that's not the case (but I'm willing to eat crow if I'm wrong).
The 90 days starts once you have the ESA certificate, which you should receive when the HPWC is installed by a certified electrician. Although, I’m not entirely sure if the inspection and certificate is completed by an independent company.

Last edited:
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Ny HPWC shipped from California but the invoice showed it sold in Toronto. BC rebate ($750) was in the mail the day of the install, really slick online application. I’d budget for 3-4 weeks, or if you’re close to YYZ just picking one up there once your VIN is assigned.
I guess it depends where you are having the HPWC shipped. I ordered mine on Sunday March 18th and it arrived on Thursday March 22nd. There was no shipping costs and my online receipt says I purchased it directly from the Toronto service centre even though the shipping invoice says it came from California. I plan on submitting the online invoice for the rebate.

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country
The 90 days starts once you have the ESA certificate,
In my situation, I'm doing the installation, so the inspection will occur once I have called up my inspector to book the appointment.

I need an EV VIN to claim the EVSE rebate, so I can't do that until Tesla gives me a VIN. And Tesla will not send me their EVSE without a VIN.

the shipping invoice says it came from California. I plan on submitting the online invoice for the rebate.
I will be very interested to see how this plays out.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
In my situation, I'm doing the installation, so the inspection will occur once I have called up my inspector to book the appointment.

I need an EV VIN to claim the EVSE rebate, so I can't do that until Tesla gives me a VIN. And Tesla will not send me their EVSE without a VIN.

I will be very interested to see how this plays out.
The EVSE is that the HPWC?