Tesla Owners Online Forum banner
41 - 46 of 46 Posts
I really like one pedal driving on standard regen but think it could be improved with a small hardware change. ...

Change #4 involves a change that would be foreign to all drivers. However, I suggest that regen braking is essentially foreign to 99% of drivers anyway. Learning a slightly new driving technique is required either way.
In the spirit of the internet, I oppose this change vigorously just because I don't like it. An indent in the throttle position is an abomination!

1. This has more to do with how an electric motor is controlled compared to controlling a combustion engine. For a combustion engine, the throttle controls the fuel & air flow to the engine. The speed at which it spins is highly variable. For an electric motor, the accelerator mostly controls how fast the stator's electrical field spins. When you start going uphill, if you don't change that speed, then the rotor just starts working harder to keep up with that field. Now, I say mostly, because you can't keep doing this regardless of the load - eventually, the force working against the rotor will cause it to slip too far, or cause the motor to attempt to draw more current than the batteries can supply, or the rotor will overcome the tire's friction and cause traction control to kick in, etc.

2. Yes, throttle mapping is definitely variable. Much different at low speed than at higher speeds.

3. At low power levels, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Those differences are probably small compared to the constant load of the system.

4. YES! I remember wanting something like this when I got my Leaf. Some sort of "bump" in the accelerator travel to allow me to physically sense when the throttle position is at "coast", and hold it there a little easier.

When you apply the brakes, does Model 3 regeneration power increase at the same time and/or proportional to the applied pressure?

We're having a discussion in PriusChat and one non-Tesla owner claims they do not have 'blended braking.' This not something that sets my hair on fire but I'm curious.

Also, I'm a fan of shifting into "N" for coasting. It isn't a hard requirement but I didn't find the Owner's Manual really addressed whether or not we can shift between "N" and "D" while rolling. Does this work in a Model 3?

Thanks,
Bob Wilson

When you apply the brakes, does Model 3 regeneration power increase at the same time and/or proportional to the applied pressure?
regen happens when you slow down. stepping on the brakes doesn't directly increase the regen, except for the fact that you slow more while still rolling. Watch the green line on the dash to get an idea when regen is happening. (or the energy chart).

Brakes are independent of regen. Brake pedal only applies the brakes. Letting off the "go" pedal to slow down is when the regen happens. You can set regen to low or standard to adjust the amount of regen/deceleration that occurs when letting off the go pedal.

Also, I'm a fan of shifting into "N" for coasting. It isn't a hard requirement but I didn't find the Owner's Manual really addressed whether or not we can shift between "N" and "D" while rolling. Does this work in a Model 3?
Yes, you can switch to "N" while rolling by holding the gear selector up to the first detent for two seconds. It goes into neutral within about 1/2 second but if you don't continue to hold it there for another second or so it will automatically go back to Drive.

It's amazing how far a Model 3 LR will coast when you have the proper air pressure in your low-rolling resistance tires! It's like magic!

41 - 46 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.